San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

Brew Jacked.

I wonder how the Brewers would look in brown/gold.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, larrypep said:

Is the SD on the logo part of that font set?!

If it isn't, it's pretty darn close.

7343442015.gifl73njtqingu5lwiuj02celesf.gif

Not exact, but probably the same family. I take it from both articles that this dated lettering font is going away.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Brew Jacked.

I wonder how the Brewers would look in brown/gold.

I did a 1950s version of that.

xvz79hb.png

If blue/yellow-gold wasn't the basic color scheme, brown/yellow would work pretty well.

Brown and yellow do work really well for the Brewers. I can already envision the dated merchandise hung up in a basement with paneling and a plaid couch.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Brown and yellow do work really well for the Brewers. I can already envision the dated merchandise hung up in a basement with paneling and a plaid couch.

A Schlitz bottle collection, a few pieces of Packers memorabilia, and a picture of “Saint” Al McGuire would complete the picture. The guy probably has his stories about fun times on Brady Street or messing up @illwauk‘s nights with a loud party near UWM. This man, of course, also has his tale about how he shared beers with a guy who pulled the blue barrels and pieces of viscera out of that one Oxford Apartment in 1991, but he only rattles it off after a few Spotted Cows. 

This guy has a brown and gold framed Robin Yount jersey, but it's hung up in the garage, one syllable, which he insists on referring to as his "man cave" even though the whole family needs to use the grodge.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, larrypep said:

Wow, I hope so!  That "SD" is by far the better one.

Image result for nettles padres

The letters are actually interlocking, rather than having the entire bottom bulb of the S inside the space of the D.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

27 minutes ago, larrypep said:

Nope. The All-Star (correction: July 4) caps all use retro logos.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Wow, I hope so!  That "SD" is by far the better one.

Image result for nettles padres

The letters are actually interlocking, rather than having the entire bottom bulb of the S inside the space of the D.

Still interlocking

5374_san_diego_padres-cap-2016.png

With both, it's just a matter of how they're colored or how the outlines divide the letters that make them interlocking. Both the newer version in one color and the old version in one color do not show interlocking. The newer one is no different in that regard than the old one. The newer version allows for the letters to be a bigger size and not squished down.

On 6/1/2019 at 11:16 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I did a 1950s version of that.

xvz79hb.png

If blue/yellow-gold wasn't the basic color scheme, brown/yellow would work pretty well.

On 6/1/2019 at 11:52 AM, Gothamite said:

Yeah, blue is entrenched at this point, and is the city’s color anyway, but if they were starting from scratch I’d definitely take brown and athletic gold.  The colors of beer and barrels. 

Also the colors of my favorite classic Milwaukee beer, and a primary sponsor of the Braves.

spacer.png

Anyway... now that we've established that brown and gold is a striking combination that the Brewers will never use. I look forward to seeing what the Friars do with it. :)

On 5/31/2019 at 7:00 PM, larrypep said:

A “minor tweak” to the SD logo?  No more serifs?  Or removal of that shadow effect?  

I hope it's this and only this.  The mid-1980s through whenever they added that "shadow effect" (just a gap, if you ask me) was perfect.  That gap is just...strange.

My guess: they'll go back to the 1970s with the shorter, stubbier letters.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

14 hours ago, larrypep said:

I really hope they don't go with a two-color SD logo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived