Gothamite

San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, mjrbaseball said:

I would like to see them use all of these, and initiate a mix-and-match style, like the Pirates of the '70s did. I see 12 jerseys here, plus five different caps (I would add a sixth, brown with a gold bill and white letters). Throw in five different pants (white with and without piping, tan with and without piping, and brown), and there would be a nice assortment. 12×6×5 = 360 different combinations, more than two seasons' worth. What fun!

D0lXJR0XcAI3794.jpg

Image result for ups worker

 

 

 

I'm worried that the dark tan away uniforms might make them look more UPS-ish than they need to be. We'll see.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 3:22 AM, mjrbaseball said:

I would like to see them use all of these, and initiate a mix-and-match style, like the Pirates of the '70s did. I see 12 jerseys here, plus five different caps (I would add a sixth, brown with a gold bill and white letters). Throw in five different pants (white with and without piping, tan with and without piping, and brown), and there would be a nice assortment. 12×6×5 = 360 different combinations, more than two seasons' worth. What fun!

D0lXJR0XcAI3794.jpg

 

All of the tan/sand/whatever color that is are horrible and I hope they realize they error in their ways fast. The mid 00s sand aways were better than those and I hated them. 

 

I like all of the white ones, besides the SD monogram one, it's too bland and needs piping. The pinstripes and the Renfroe version are my are favorites. Any of the Brown ALTs work for me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a fan of the darker sand. I don’t think it works well with any cap other than solid dark brown, but as long as they keep that pairing it could be great. 

 

I think I’d prefer the dark brown numbers/word mark/NOB, but would have to see more realistic mockups of it with yellow. Part of me thinks the yellow and sand could clash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of a rich brown/sand away jersey, why couldn’t they go for the very subtle tan they used on the roads from 85-90?  Substitute orange with yellow and you’re set. 

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the subtle 80s tan the best. It's distinctive without being too on the nose, and the Padres actually have a historical precedent for wearing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THIS IS HOW I FEEL ABOUT ANY AND ALL OF THE PADRES BROWN MOCKUPSspacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fun little thing about the brown movement  (no joke intended) is that every California team claims their own color. SD: brown, LAD: blue, LAA: red, OAK: green, SF: orange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 12:22 AM, mjrbaseball said:

I would like to see them use all of these, and initiate a mix-and-match style, like the Pirates of the '70s did. I see 12 jerseys here, plus five different caps (I would add a sixth, brown with a gold bill and white letters). Throw in five different pants (white with and without piping, tan with and without piping, and brown), and there would be a nice assortment. 12×6×5 = 360 different combinations, more than two seasons' worth. What fun!

D0lXJR0XcAI3794.jpg

Got to say I love the brown BUT I really dislike the PADRES wordmark. SD is great, SAN DIEGO is great. Padres wordmark needs to be the script. Also, NO pinstripes, you're not the Yankees, leave it alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, this tan is gorgeous.

 

17572830%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

 

Is this really tan or is it just grey that appears to have a brown tint as a result of the pinstripes?  I've always assumed those uniforms were grey.

 

I've been trying to find side-by-side comparisons to a grey uniform, but haven't had much luck.  The best I have been able to find are some NL All Star team photos. Unfortunately, they are all pretty small and/or of poor quality.

 

In this one, the Padres uniforms mostly look to be the same color as the grey uniforms (see Steve Garvey on the bottom right and Gary Templeton (?) on the bottom left, who are both next to Cardinals players).

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

NO pinstripes, you're not the Yankees, leave it alone. 

 

Neither are the White Sox, Rockies, Cubs, Phillies or Mets, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for any of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

 

Is this really tan or is it just grey that appears to have a brown tint as a result of the pinstripes?  I've always assumed those uniforms were grey.

 

I've been trying to find side-by-side comparisons to a grey uniform, but haven't had much luck.  The best I have been able to find are some NL All Star team photos. Unfortunately, they are all pretty small and/or of poor quality.

 

In this one, the Padres uniforms mostly look to be the same color as the grey uniforms (see Steve Garvey on the bottom right and Gary Templeton (?) on the bottom left, who are both next to Cardinals players).

 

 

I think the Padres uniform in that All-Star picture is much lighter than the Cards' gray and the Mets' gray. It's really noticeable on the left side of that photo.

 

And the Padres jersey in the auction photo looks like a shade of brown more than it does a shade of gray. I see it as being tan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cheo25 said:

I think the Padres uniform in that picture is much lighter than the Cards' gray and the Mets' gray. It's really noticeable on the left side of that photo.

 

To me, it seems like it depends on where you look.  If you look at Steve Garvey's and Graig Nettles's (?) legs, they look to be about the same color as the legs of the Cardinals player between them.  At the same time, Nettles's (?) jersey looks substantially lighter than Garvey's.  Meanwhile, Ozzie Smith's jersey (bottom right), looks substantially lighter than that of the Cardinal between Garvey and Nettles (?).

 

At best, this picture is pretty inconclusive.  What we need is a mound visit with Garvey standing next to multiple players in grey jerseys.

 

I will say that the uniform looks pretty gray in this picture, but there is nothing to compare it to.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That gray/tan 1985-1990 Padres uniform is a big part of why I favor that color scheme.  I think the orange and brown look so, so nice on that gray/tan/whatever backdrop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lafarge said:

 

Neither are the White Sox, Rockies, Cubs, Phillies or Mets, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for any of them.

Still doesn't mean it should be a look for the Padres. Looked odd when they tried it before and would ruin a return to the brown now. Like someone very uncool trying to be cool, a poser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 4:21 PM, hawk36 said:

Still doesn't mean it should be a look for the Padres. Looked odd when they tried it before and would ruin a return to the brown now. Like someone very uncool trying to be cool, a poser. 

 

Padres looked best in Navy and Orange with Pinstripes. Would much prefer them return to that, but if they have to go the awful brown route, then the 85 Orange and brown would be somewhat tolerable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

 

Padres looked best in Navy and Orange with Pinstripes. Would much prefer them return to that, but if they have to go the awful brown route, then the 85 Orange and brown would be somewhat tolerable. 

Orange without yellow or brown is just not the Padres. Was a bad idea and a bad time for the team. As someone who's been a fan since the beginning (guess I'm old), brown and yellow ARE the Padres and pinstripes and blue are someone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Orange without yellow or brown is just not the Padres. Was a bad idea and a bad time for the team. As someone who's been a fan since the beginning (guess I'm old), brown and yellow ARE the Padres and pinstripes and blue are someone else. 

Blue and orange was kind of a funny move because two other NL Teams were wearing blue and orange...not all the same shades, but in retrospect, it was the first step in what appeared to be a deliberate attempt by the Padres to blend in.  In a vacuum, the look was serviceable, but in the context of the league, it was not a very good choice.

 

I think a return to brown (ANY brown...brown/orange, Taco Bell, brown/yellow, brown/powder, or even just brown/white if the Padres want to keep being understated) tells us "the Padres are the brown team."  Now that they are making the change, we know who they are, just like we do with the Astros after their change back.  Brown and yellow was the obvious choice.  I prefer brown and orange (my earliest memories are Taco Bell and when they made the change in about 1985, I loved those), but the bottom line is they just needed brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 11:51 AM, Gothamite said:

Yeah, this tan is gorgeous.

 

17572830%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

I always thought that set looked pretty good, but I also always saw that away as grey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My photoshop color picker identifies it an orangish gray. Which gives it a slightly tannish brown tinge, since brown is often made by mixing black to orange.

 

It’s like that short-lived Brewers road gray, that had a slight greenish tint.  Not so much that you’d look at it and think it was green, but enough so that it highlighted and complimented the green trim on those jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.