Gothamite

San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

6 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I’ve always thought of the Giants as black first, orange second, not the other way around.

Yeah, that's the Giants/Orioles line. The Giants color scheme goes black/orange/off-white, while the Orioles go black & orange equally/white.

16x9.jpg?timestamp=201905281619&showBadg

marco-scutaro-of-the-san-francisco-giants-is-congratulated-by-buster-picture-id176177891?k=6&m=176177891&s=612x612&w=0&h=tyxAVqVLbwgYcD4w-IAH8CABtYFCKrDGUcU7yd0pgsU= usp-mlb_-boston-red-sox-at-baltimore-orioles-4_3.jpg?width=534&height=401&fit=crop

While the Giants have the orange jersey and orange-billed cap (and the Orioles have a black jersey), the general color distribution is consistent. The Giants and Orioles' orange tops do look a little too similar, but the aesthetic is different enough.

buck-showalter-mlb-minnesota-twins-baltimore-orioles.jpg 44ce6dbbd20ec7110be219ae2088fdc6.jpg

Both teams have emulated their opposites' color balance before, with varying results.

montanez-willie-71-topps-giants-2_orig.jpg bal-remembering-the-1997-orioles-20170325

But back to the Padres, I'm just pleased that orange won't be returning with either brown or navy. While I get the nostalgia for the '98 set, it does overlap a little with the Astros and road Tigers. That and the wordmark is ugly.

I'd honestly be just fine if the Giants wanted to permanently ditch their orange billed caps and alt jerseys. The orange jersey isn't really bad, per se, but they're expendable. The orange billed caps, on the other hand, are useless. The Giants primary all black cap should be in the same echelon as the Dodgers all blue cap. It's iconic, and there's absolutely no need to water it all down by adding a second cap that just swaps out the bill color. 

Hey, I like the orange-billed cap!

If they need to drop anything, I’d drop the Sunday road alt and restore the road uniform to its pre-2012 form. The other option would be to drop the current road uniform and promote the Sunday alternate. The interlocking SF makes for a fantastic Jersey insignia.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Hey, I like the orange-billed cap!

If they need to drop anything, I’d drop the Sunday road alt and restore the road uniform to its pre-2012 form. The other option would be to drop the current road uniform and promote the Sunday alternate. The interlocking SF makes for a fantastic Jersey insignia.

I don't like the current orange billed cap AT ALL. It might've worked in the 70s with the older SF style, but it just looks so forced with the current serifed SF. They brought that back at the beginning of the, I believe, 2010 season after a long stretch of not using it, and it's just never quite looked right to me. I've picked up a few of the orange billed SF caps (bought one at AT&T during the pre season right after they released it) and I almost never wear them because they just don't look good to me at all. 

You're spot on with the road jersey, though. Preferably bring back the pre 2012 jersey, but upgrading the Sunday alt to primary status would suffice, too. Both of those jerseys are awesome.  

I also think the Giants absolutely should have a black alternate jersey if they're going to insist on having an alt. I have a lot of Bonds home run chase nostalgia for that one, though. 

Yea, maybe there was a better term I could've used. But the Giants are only one I freely associate with black. I see the Rockies as a purple team and the Diamondbacks as a red team. They just happen to be a couple of many teams who ruin it by overdoing black.

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's not a good flare serif font, especially not in brown/yellow. Brown/yellow needs something a bit more ornate, like the '69-'71's or a Gaslamp Quarter look:

Would you sign off on something uber-swashy, like that old soccer team that had fringes on its uniforms?

EDIT: ah yes,

1178029_2.jpg

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Would you sign off on something uber-swashy, like that old soccer team that had fringes on its uniforms?

1178029_2.jpg

Oh for the love of all that is holy... kill it with fire!

I know brown isn't always considered the most flattering color in most circles, but the Padres reverting back to it is a no brainer. It's not being used anywhere else in MLB really (while blue is agonizingly overused and the Padres did nothing creative with it) and their mascot is the Friar after all. Adopting blue was a lazy decision to begin with because it's such a safe. popular color. Their home uniform set from 2004 onwards is definitely somewhere on my list of all-time worst.

7 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Oh for the love of all that is holy... kill it with fire!

Reminds me of the branding of an awful chain Western-themed restaurant.

35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

1178029_2.jpg

Eh, probably not. That's just too far, yet it isn't the most embarrassing "Caribou"-related piece I know.

Elton-John-Caribou-album-cover-820.jpg

It's a good album, but it has terrible cover art. 

I was thinking more along the lines of the 1969-71 font or something like the top two:

NBA-All-Star-2017-1.png

Heck, the Pelicans' main font would also be decent for the Padres.

42-422611_nba-new-orleans-pelicans-2-pack-magnet-set.png

A thinner version of Aachen (a la UW-Madison), a Clarendon variant, or something that evokes the "Mission" look would also be more welcome than the current lettering. Of course, making an "SD" (preferably in the 1985-present arrangement) in the new font without the cutoff would also help.

50 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I know brown isn't always considered the most flattering color in most circles, but the Padres reverting back to it is a no brainer. It's not being used anywhere else in MLB really (while blue is agonizingly overused and the Padres did nothing creative with it) and their mascot is the Friar after all. Adopting blue was a lazy decision to begin with because it's such a safe. popular color. Their home uniform set from 2004 onwards is definitely somewhere on my list of all-time worst.

Reverting back is like making a 360 degree change. You end up where you started 😁

On topic - I can't wait to see the Padres in brown and yellow!

On 8/22/2019 at 7:42 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Reverting back is like making a 360 degree change. You end up where you started 😁

On topic - I can't wait to see the Padres in brown and yellow!

Amen to that! Can't wait either for the brown to be back.

14 hours ago, joekono said:

Amen to that! Can't wait either for the brown to be back.

I will say the best news to come out of those focus groups is that they’re seemingly moving away from the hateful taco bell cap and toward a plain brown with yellow or yellow/white lettering.

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I will say the best news to come out of those focus groups is that they’re seemingly moving away from the hateful taco bell cap and toward a plain brown with yellow or yellow/white lettering.

Thank f--k for that. I'm glad to see (from reading about those groups) that the uber-'70s/early '80s font didn't make the cut. It's aged poorly:

4d3f9fd909c05.image.jpg

Much like Petcopark.ttf, recolors really don't do it any favors.

Sounds like the focus groups got it exactly right.  No navy, no orange. 

On 8/22/2019 at 10:02 AM, SFGiants58 said:

The redesign should hopefully kill off the font they've been using for 15 years, the notorious Petcopark.ttf. It's not a good flare serif font, especially not in brown/yellow. Brown/yellow needs something a bit more ornate, like the '69-'71's or a Gaslamp Quarter look:

I'm a fan of Dane Storrusten's reimagining of the San Diego Padres' brand... and the font is a huge part of that. Particularly the SD ligature. I much preferred the original palette that Dane worked with: deep brown (calling to mind a Franciscan friar's habit), golden tan (emblematic of sandy beaches), and a blue somewhere between powder and teal (representing the Southern California sky).

That said, even without the blue, this would be a sharp look. Adjusted to a brown, yellow, and white palette, I'd swap all instances of golden tan to yellow, replace the grey road uniform with khaki, and go with brown numbers outlined in yellow on both the home and road jerseys.        

4nYLsq8l.png as4Sxcll.jpg

FzS4uY7l.jpg 4dEMQTIl.jpg

3ZSX8THl.jpg

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

I'm a fan of Dane Storrusten's reimagining of the San Diego Padres' brand... and the font is a huge part of that. Particularly the SD ligature. I much preferred the original palette that Dane worked with: deep brown (calling to mind a Franciscan friar's habit), golden tan (emblematic of sandy beaches), and a blue somewhere between powder and teal (representing the Southern California sky).

That said, even without the blue, this would be a sharp look. Adjusted to a brown, yellow, and white palette, I'd swap all instances of golden tan to yellow, replace the grey road uniform with khaki, and go with brown numbers outlined in yellow on both the home and road jerseys.        

3ZSX8THl.jpg

Thankfully the SD, which more or less has remained the same since ‘85, is the one thing not being changed significantly based on the focus groups. 

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

3ZSX8THl.jpg

I don't know about the gold numbers. But it needs to be athletic gold. Vegas gold just doesn't work on baseball uniforms due to the lack of contrast with gray.

Double brown is an extremely underused color combo (I can’t even think of a team that uses it) but it can make some extremely good looks, I’d always be curious what the padres would look like in it, while that concept isn’t exactly the route I’d take, it’s a fantastic looking concept