San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

22 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Any chance of a returning 90’s blue and orange scheme? I prefer it over the brown and gold, although their both good looks. A blue and orange swinging friar would be top in the MLB.

My favorite too, but doesn’t sound like it. The brown complaining was too loud from the “vocal minority”.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

My favorite too, but doesn’t sound like it. The brown complaining was too loud from the “vocal minority”.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see them more often. Between those and the navy camos, they'll still have plenty of blue in the rotation.

48 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

lol complaining

They focus group'd it, and brown was the clear choice. Not a majority, but a clear, solid plurality. This isn't brown fans whining until they get their way. It's the team commissioning research and (begrudgingly) going with the look that resonates with the largest number of fans.

The navy and orange wasn't even popular enough to get out of the first "round" of eliminations according to said study, confirming what many of us have long suspected- that as nice as it was in a vacuum? It was always something only a small minority truly identified with.

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Thats a funny way of describing a plurality of Padres fans. 

Plurality of those that responded to a study into the uniforms. Who do you think it was with the most incentive to participate? 

4 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Plurality of those that responded to a study into the uniforms. Who do you think it was with the most incentive to participate? 

Fans who care and who think the last fifteen years of Padres uniforms have been a shameful mess?

9 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Exactly, those that like brown... But they’re still not the primary customer. 

Hang on, let’s not get confused. This wasn’t a twitter poll or online survey.  This was a series of focus groups done by professional agencies, screened and weighted to provide an accurate summary of the wider fan base.  They can actually extrapolate data from these groups. You don’t have to like the results (I am certainly in the minority when it comes to opinions on my own team’s look) but that doesn’t mean we can dismiss the work itself out of hand. 

Besides, the Padres also have access to the merchandising numbers. They know precisely what colors the "primary customers" prefer.  And if they’re making these kind of public statements, then so do we.

I get why they’d want to increase the amount of white on the uniforms, as the brown/yellow together can be a bit overpowering. I just hope they don’t go too far with it (e.g., the cap logo is yellow, not white outlined in yellow).

The Taco Bell caps need to either go away or be reduced to alternate status. They’re way too 1970s for me.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Hang on, let’s not get confused. This wasn’t a twitter poll or online survey.  This was a series of focus groups done by professional agencies, screened and weighted to provide an accurate summary of the wider fan base.  They can actually extrapolate data from these groups. You don’t have to like the results (I am certainly in the minority when it comes to opinions on my own team’s look) but that doesn’t mean we can dismiss the work itself out of hand. 

Besides, the Padres also have access to the merchandising numbers. They know precisely what colors the "primary customers" prefer.  And if they’re making these kind of public statements, then so do we.

I'd say the merchandising sales would be slightly skewed to blue due to a larger variety of blue merchandise being offered at almost every location. And outside of San Diego, like my most recent trip to a shop here in Seattle, only blue Padres stuff was offered. So if brown is in fact comparable percentage wise to blue merchandise sales, I'd say in reality brown is probably an overwhelming choice for fans. 

A perfect example of this was when I wanted to buy a old looking, aged brown Padres cap. I could only find the new, crisp and clean brown/yellow cap but the shop had two different worn looking blue caps. So I bought the blue. But if they would've had the brown I would've bought that instead.

15 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I'd say the merchandising sales would be slightly skewed to blue due to a larger variety of blue merchandise being offered at almost every location. And outside of San Diego, like my most recent trip to a shop here in Seattle, only blue Padres stuff was offered. So if brown is in fact comparable percentage wise to blue merchandise sales, I'd say in reality brown is probably an overwhelming choice for fans. 

A perfect example of this was when I wanted to buy a old looking, aged brown Padres cap. I could only find the new, crisp and clean brown/yellow cap but the shop had two different worn looking blue caps. So I bought the blue. But if they would've had the brown I would've bought that instead.

I would imagine that they're aware of all of that.  They know what's being ordered by secondary vendors, and especially what's being sold at Petco Park and the MLB online shop.  There's a reason they added a brown alt, after all.  And now that the owners who really don't want a brown color scheme are publicly talking about their fans wanting a brown color scheme, we can infer a few things about those merchandising numbers.

56 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I get why they’d want to increase the amount of white on the uniforms, as the brown/yellow together can be a bit overpowering. I just hope they don’t go too far with it (e.g., the cap logo is yellow, not white outlined in yellow).

The Taco Bell caps need to either go away or be reduced to alternate status. They’re way too 1970s for me.

I agree with you.  The best thing they could do is bring back this cap, if with a new monogram.

26512815603_eb66781840_o.jpgproducts-DSC_0367.jpg

The perfect balance - mostly brown with a touch of gold.  It certainly doesn't need any white cluttering the design and making it harder to read; white and gold blend at any distance and a second, brown outline between them is such a bad idea I fear they'll absolutely do it.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

We do. They’ve said many times the blue merchant is far more popular than the brown.

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

We do. They’ve said many times the blue merchant is far more popular than the brown.

It's called spin. Blue merchandise is offered in so many more locations and with so many more options that of course it sells more total pieces. But I'd argue that a higher percentage of brown merchandise is actually moved as compared to the blue.

If they go all the way back to brown/yellow, I hope they don't go with the short/stumpy cap logo.  The tall logo that came around in the late 1980s is far better.  Also, I'd love if they get rid of the "gap" in the "D."  Is that supposed to signify some kind of shading?  I think it tries to hard.  It's distracting.

(That said, give me brown/orange all day, but I know I lose)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

It's called spin. 

Yep. 

And we should take notice that they’ve dropped that spin - an interview with an owner who doesn’t want the brown by a journalist who doesn’t want the brown would have been the perfect place to drag out “you know, people say they want brown but the blue merchandise sells soooo much better.”  That they didn’t speaks volumes. 

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yep. 

And we should take notice that they’ve dropped that spin - an interview with an owner who doesn’t want the brown by a journalist who doesn’t want the brown would have been the perfect place to drag out “you know, people say they want brown but the blue merchandise sells soooo much better.”  That they didn’t speaks volumes. 

Not if their intention is to move to brown is wouldn’t have been. Now their goal would be to sell people on brown for good or ill. 

I can say as someone who has zero affinity to the Padres or San Diego that I have tried buying brown Padres gear in the past (they didn't have any in the stadium store at spring training).

I can't say that I've ever considered purchasing blue Padres merchandise, because what would the point of that be?

Archived