San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

I have several immediate thoughts when I read this...

1. Were the uniforms really even finalized back then? He might not have seen more than unfinalized prototypes.

2. What's wrong with this guy thinking about uniforms in his decision making process when he's potentially about to set up his family and his future grandkids financially for life?

3. How awesome is it that this guy is thinking about uniforms in his decision making process when he's potentially about to set up his family and his future grandkids financially for life??? Maybe Manny is a little bit of a uniform junkie like most of us? That's a cool thought.

Brown uniforms weren't historically popular with Padres players. Tony Gwynn referred to the color of one set as "baby poop brown". Machado probably just wanted to be sure it didn't look like crap (pun intended).

Padres Confirm: Brown is Coming Back November 9

October 10, 2019 - 18:37 PM

Yes, it’s finally happening folks, the San Diego Padres today announced that “Brown is Back!” along with an unveiling date set for November 9th. The announcement video featured the team’s classic Swingin’ Friar logo which suggests it may return as […]

Read More...

On 10/8/2019 at 7:09 AM, MCM0313 said:

Brown uniforms weren't historically popular with Padres players. Tony Gwynn referred to the color of one set as "baby poop brown". Machado probably just wanted to be sure it didn't look like crap (pun intended).

Tony’s dislike of brown has always been a prime reason I hate it. If one of the best baseball players of all time, who was an avowed student of the game, thought they looked like crap and disliked wearing them... they were crap.

26 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Tony’s dislike of brown has always been a prime reason I hate it. If one of the best baseball players of all time, who was an avowed student of the game, thought they looked like crap and disliked wearing them... they were crap.

He was still just one person with one opinion. It's ok to disagree with Tony on this.

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

He was still just one person with one opinion. It's ok to disagree with Tony on this.

He was one person, with good taste ;)

and at least among players players he wasn’t alone.

42 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Or... Everyone has their own opinion. Doesn't mean it's a forgone conclusion. I'm a Braves fan, but I personally loved the Padres in Orange and blue. But the brown/gold combo isn't offensive in any way, IMHO

48 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Apparently he forgot the hatred when his beer was formulated.

y0nXS02.png

VmWIn6B.png

31 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

He was one person, with good taste ;)

and at least among players players he wasn’t alone.

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

All lies. Tony wanted brown back too. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/6400/time-is-right-for-padres-to-bring-back-brown

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Tony is one of my five favorite MLB players that never wore a Twins uniform.  But he was WRONG on this.  Wrong!

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Eyes and TV cameras will shift to the man known in San Diego as Mr. Padre, the aforementioned Tony Gwynn.

Trust us, he'll be smiling.

"I'd love it," said the .338 career hitter, first-ballot Hall of Famer and Padre for all 20 of his major league seasons. "That's how we started, with brown. I'd love to see brown."

"Brown is part of who the Padres are," said Gwynn, who wears black and red these days while coaching baseball at his alma mater, San Diego State, "and it's definitely unique in baseball, because no one else has brown. How many teams have blue? How many have red? But none of 'em have brown."

https://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/6400/time-is-right-for-padres-to-bring-back-brown

1 hour ago, L10nheart404 said:

Or... Everyone has their own opinion. Doesn't mean it's a forgone conclusion. I'm a Braves fan, but I personally loved the Padres in Orange and blue. But the brown/gold combo isn't offensive in any way, IMHO

born & raised San Diegan. the 98 pinstripes are my favorite uniform the Padres have ever worn. was very bummed when orange was eliminated early on in the focus group process.

and @Teal, apparently the home uniform is a pinstripe uniform, which makes me very, very happy.

13 minutes ago, axiom20xx said:

born & raised San Diegan. the 98 pinstripes are my favorite uniform the Padres have ever worn. was very bummed when orange was eliminated early on in the focus group process.

and @Teal, apparently the home uniform is a pinstripe uniform, which makes me very, very happy.

Yeah I associate the team with the 90’s unis as that was what I first saw them in. Still their best look to date. 

Also hearing pinstripes are at least back. Though I’m hearing they tweaked the SD on the cap to make it a little more “wavy”... whatever that means.

No word on if it’s the USMC or USN camo (or both) continuing on.

Archived