San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

1 hour ago, LaJolla Archon said:

As a Padres fan, I love it. IMO, the brown needs to be dark or else it looks too much like real poop. I never liked the brown they use on the Friday jerseys...to light and had a greenish tint. This looks darker and more red which I think will hold up over time better. Plus once on the field, it will clearly register as brown.

Yep. And as long as it's not any darker than the throwbacks they wore in 2014, it'll be perfect. 

Colorado Rockies v San Diego Padres : News Photo

Chicago Cubs v San Diego Padres : News Photo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Yeah, I'm not so sure how I feel about either of those changes. Bummed there wont be the dual colored SD, either. 

I mean who says there won’t be? They’ll presumably have a primary and secondary cap? And word was the Taco Bell cap is done for. 

47 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

80s chocolate brown is much better than the current military green/brown. Finger's crossed.

Hopefully it’s darker than chocolate brown. That turd color is part of why so many have been so reluctant to see the Padres go brown. The fact the marketing materials are darker than any brown to date is somewhat promising. 

I'm going to withhold my judgment until something official comes out, but if ends up being that darker shade of brown, I'd be incredibly disappointed. It looks way too much like black to my eyes. I know people here are scoffing at the Pirates comparisons, but that does not at all seem unreasonable to me if that shade is indeed accurate.

MLB needs to start being open to more colors beside black, blue, and red.

Their Twitter press releases already have the new SD and more of an accurate look at the color usage.

And their new Twitter avatar zoomed in:

UK1uvg0.png

It's clearly brown.

VmWIn6B.png

4 hours ago, hawk36 said:

New logo on Facebook for the team is slightly different than the old, better in my opinion. The dark areas show the old logo, yellow is what is there now. New has less pointy, less pronounced serifs. 

SDCOMPARE.jpg

Imma be real honest with you... I can’t look for the differences for more than 3 seconds without getting nauseous, so I’ll just have to take your word for it

At the risk of repeating myself...

...man, I hate the gap in the D.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If I didn’t know it was brown I’d think it was black, unless something black was right next to it. Kinda defeats the point of going to brown IMO if you’re going that dark. It’s like they’re thinking about how black sells, and we’re like “well, it’s almost black so we’re good”. The old brown was what I was hoping for. 

I also hate the gap. It doesn’t make any sense. The rest of the logo is an improvement. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, LMU said:

Their Twitter press releases already have the new SD and more of an accurate look at the color usage.

And their new Twitter avatar zoomed in:

UK1uvg0.png

It's clearly brown.

It's brown but almost black. Not zoomed in it looks black to me.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If I didn’t know it was brown I’d think it was black, unless something black was right next to it. Kinda defeats the point of going to brown IMO if you’re going that dark. It’s like they’re thinking about how black sells, and we’re like “well, it’s almost black so we’re good”. The old brown was what I was hoping for. 

I also hate the gap. It doesn’t make any sense. The rest of the logo is an improvement. 

Exactly.  It's sort of like one of those moments when you're getting dressed and can't tell if something is navy blue or black unless/until you get something else out of the closet for comparison (and/or ask your wife for assistance).

If you have to do that to distinguish between brown and black, the brown is probably too dark.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It's dark but I do see brown. Ultimately just have to wait and see how the brown looks on the field. It might be the perfect shade for the lighting of the ballpark itself. Fingers crossed.

And there is a difference between greenish browns and reddish browns. I think I liked the recent Friday browns but it did have a military greenish tint at times so this new brown could definitely be an improvement on the field.

Reminds me of when the Rockies changed their shade of purple and people weren't too sure of it until actually seeing how much better it looked on the field...

Related image

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

If you have to do that to distinguish between brown and black, the brown is probably too dark.

I'm guessing this is being done to sell more merchandise.  Black always sells so the closer the brown is to black, the better in their eyes.  We'll see how everything looks when unveiled, but I'm already thinking the brown is way too dark.

Archived