San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Why would a team named the Padres need camo in their identity? Also a nope.

because the team is in San Diego, one of the major military cities in the US. The identity of the city is just as important as the nickname.

Norfolk( AAA) also does good with the camo and it makes sense.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

16 hours ago, coco1997 said:

If the new khaki road uniforms are a similar shade to the original ‘69 Padres roads, it could be a really nice look.

CAFFDC56-97-C2-4-B66-83-D1-3-BDA290-E8-D

Well at least this shade is better than the yellow tinted original sand unis from 2004....

6 hours ago, DiePerske said:

because the team is in San Diego, one of the major military cities in the US. The identity of the city is just as important as the nickname.

Norfolk( AAA) also does good with the camo and it makes sense.

So the Yankees should wear yellow alts on Fridays? The Dodgers should have a sunset gradient alt for Sundays?

3 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

So the Yankees should wear yellow alts on Fridays? The Dodgers should have a sunset gradient alt for Sundays?

The Padres host hundreds of MCRD recruits every Sunday, and have been doing so since 1996. They are also the first professional sports team to have a Military Affairs department.

6 minutes ago, axiom20xx said:

The Padres host hundreds of MCRD recruits every Sunday, and have been doing so since 1996. They are also the first professional sports team to have a Military Affairs department.

And I guess these guys wouldn't support the Padres if they were wearing regular baseball uniforms on Sundays?

Not sure anyone’s saying they shouldn’t have military-themed promotions or whatever - just that playing dress up is stupid. It’s pandering, unprofessional, and deviates from their identity. 

if anything, if they were more secure with themselves and how they honor the military, they wouldn’t need to stoop to the level of wearing army man costumes on sundays. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

And what would either of those have to do with 20% or more of their respective cities?

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure anyone’s saying they shouldn’t have military-themed promotions or whatever - just that playing dress up is stupid. It’s pandering, unprofessional, and deviates from their identity. 

if anything, if they were more secure with themselves and how they honor the military, they wouldn’t need to stoop to the level of wearing army man costumes on sundays. 

And yet sales of merch would disagree with you as the Camo is consistently a top seller. And the military and service members have both stated repeatedly they appreciate it. 

So it’s neither pandering nor is it unprofessional. It’s both a well appreciated patriotic gesture and shrewd marketing. And as for deviating from their identity, they’re the “team of the military” so it’s very much in keeping with their identity. 

“Team of the military”? Is that like how the Cowboys are “America’s Team”? 

there’s plenty of service people that like other teams and root against the Padres. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, where are the sales stats that show the camo merch is a high seller? Not calling you out, just would like to see it out of curiosity. 

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

And I guess these guys wouldn't support the Padres if they were wearing regular baseball uniforms on Sundays?

i'm not sure you're understanding the significance of 18 year old kids, who have been in boot camp for 3 months, day in day out, being able to go to a game and eat nachos and have a soda while watching a MLB team on the field in uniforms paying respect to them.

31 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

And what would either of those have to do with 20% or more of their respective cities?

Was referring to this :

The identity of the city is just as important as the nickname.

Honestly BringBacktheVet is right on. If they want to wear camo they should rebrand otherwise they should stick to their brand (as weak as it's been). It's not AA where you can be the Flying Tacos once a week.

4 minutes ago, axiom20xx said:

i'm not sure you're understanding the significance of 18 year old kids, who have been in boot camp for 3 months, day in day out, being able to go to a game and eat nachos and have a soda while watching a MLB team on the field in uniforms paying respect to them.

NYC is full of brave cops and firefighters. Would it justify the Yankees wearing NYPD and FDNY themed uniforms every Sunday? Are their fans supporting their team anyway? Are they enjoying going to games anyway? I'm sure the Yankees are respecting these guys just as much. Honoring the military isn't the problem as stated, MLB offers plenty of occasions to pay respect, deviating that much from their brand is.

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

“Team of the military”? Is that like how the Cowboys are “America’s Team”? 

there’s plenty of service people that like other teams and root against the Padres. 

That may be. But fact is the Padres have a 25 year relationship directly with the military providing game tapes to deployed forces, welcoming back ships with players and mascots, assisting military families, and the weekly military day honoring the various branches. And part of that relationship is wearing the official USMC pattern (and now former navy pattern) based unis. The military is an integral part of the community, more so than any other major league city. The Padres are smart to honor that one home game a week. If you don’t like it fine... San Diegans do which is all that actually matters.

2 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

NYC is full of brave cops and firefighters. Would it justify the Yankees wearing NYPD and FDNY themed uniforms every Sunday? Are their fans supporting their team anyway? Are they enjoying going to games anyway? I'm sure the Yankees are respecting these guys just as much. Honoring the military isn't the problem as stated, MLB offers plenty of occasions to pay respect, deviating that much from their brand is.

Well we’ll have to disagree. As it’s an integral part of their brand as anyone familiar with the team well knows.

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:

That may be. But fact is the Padres have a 25 year relationship directly with the military providing game tapes and the weekly military day honoring the various branches. And part of that relationship is wearing the official USMC pattern (and now former navy pattern) based unis. The military is an integral part of the community, more so than any other major league city. The Padres are smart to honor that one home game a week. If you don’t like it fine... San Diegans do which is all that actually matters.

Sorry but that's still ain't justifying a minor leaguish full time alternate uniform that has nothing to do with the team brand.

Archived