San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

Just now, jp1409 said:

Sorry but that's still ain't justifying a minor leaguish full time alternate uniform that has nothing to do with the team brand.

Since you’re ignoring it IS part of the team’s long time brand no further justification is needed. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SFGiants58 said:

Well, one could argue that the extermination/assimilation of Native Americans in the area was a military operation, so I guess it fits. ;) 

Oh what’s so Giant about San Francisco anyway? ;)

Not even the biggest city in its region. 

8 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Can these two concepts be any more different?

54843572beee6d7dd344706286b415dc.jpg

0f1d47d3ecace24602d7ecc61f151359.jpg

Actually as SFGiant pointed out tangentially, if you’re looking for thematic connection (which again isn’t required for it to be part of their identity), the Franciscan Friars were jointly at the head of a religious/military expeditionary force that established not only the Catholic Mission San Diego but also the San Diego Presidio under Portola. 

11 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Oh what’s so Giant about San Francisco anyway? ;)

Not even the biggest city in its region. 

Whatever.

10 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Can these two concepts be any more different?

54843572beee6d7dd344706286b415dc.jpg

0f1d47d3ecace24602d7ecc61f151359.jpg

Well, exterminating the local population and annihilating their culture is pretty militant. Besides, one can make the argument about the USMC and the military as a whole acting in a paternalistic fashion, so they may be the “Padres” of the modern age. ;) 

19 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Since you’re ignoring it IS part of the team’s long time brand no further justification is needed. 

I’d argue that if the team’s brand wasn’t so weak over the past 25 years, it wouldn’t need to glom onto the military for its identity.

29 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

NYC is full of brave cops and firefighters. Would it justify the Yankees wearing NYPD and FDNY themed uniforms every Sunday? Are their fans supporting their team anyway? Are they enjoying going to games anyway? I'm sure the Yankees are respecting these guys just as much. Honoring the military isn't the problem as stated, MLB offers plenty of occasions to pay respect, deviating that much from their brand is.

we're going to have to agree to disagree. but it is not pandering. pandering would be what the Clippers are doing with their new identity. 

I have a feeling that the “Padres in camo” topic will go the way of political, Native American, and “browns should wear brown” discussions. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

“Team of the military”? Is that like how the Cowboys are “America’s Team”? 

there’s plenty of service people that like other teams and root against the Padres. 

♫ I don't know but I've been told

Camo detracts from brown and gold 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

28 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Maybe you’re not a real Padres fan. Real Padres fans want brown/yellow. 

I had to throw a logical fallacy in there. If it wasn’t me, it’d be somebody else. 🙃

#BringBackTheBlue

12 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

#BringBackTheBlue

You'd think there'd be enough blue down there 9-10 days a season.  Going from the most generic look in MLB history to a fully unique color palette is the best move that can be made.

(I do agree on the camo though.  SD has a special, unique connection with the military and it's not as if the team becomes the Devil Dogs on Sundays)

VmWIn6B.png

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

That may be. But fact is the Padres have a 25 year relationship directly with the military providing game tapes to deployed forces, welcoming back ships with players and mascots, assisting military families, and the weekly military day honoring the various branches. And part of that relationship is wearing the official USMC pattern (and now former navy pattern) based unis. The military is an integral part of the community, more so than any other major league city. The Padres are smart to honor that one home game a week. If you don’t like it fine... San Diegans do which is all that actually matters.

Literally every team does this. The royals toured around Kuwait last winter. It’s nothing unique to them.

5 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Going on this camo discussion: It wont happen for many reasons, but I'd love to see the Padres and Norfolk have an affiliation. Both major naval/military town. Would just fit well.

Honestly I wouldn’t mind it. Playing in a sea level park near the water would better replicate playing at Petco v the launching pad that is El Paso.

6 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Honestly I wouldn’t mind it. Playing in a sea level park near the water would better replicate playing at Petco v the launching pad that is El Paso.

and with the restructuring of the minor leagues possibly going to happen, screw it. make it happen. the Giants AA team is in Richmond, which is the only league that matters in the minors anymore according to many MLB executives.

I know people who don't like the Padres military uniforms never will, but growing up in the area it makes sense. I can think of 6 different bases in the San Diego area off the top of my head and I'm sure I didn't count a few such as the military hospital at Balboa. San Diego also has the biggest veteran population in the country (not that we like wearing camo). I personally do not like camo anything, but being from the region I understand the reasons for them doing military Sundays and have no issue with it. Also if you think the Marine recruits are just having a good ol' time at the ballpark eating whatever and living it up I guarantee their handlers are watching and are relieved of any food they may have eaten when they get back to the depot.

Archived