San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

"Spanish missionaries had an affiliation with Conquistadors and therefore it's appropriate for them to dress up as the US military" is an even bigger stretch than Ottawa's attempt to justify the name "Senators" with a Roman centurion logo. 

Though I get it. It's all @bosrs1 has. And by the way? He's trolling you all at this point. You know that right? 

Anyway first he said the preference for brown was a minority opinion. Until focus groups proved it was the consensus among most Padres fans. 

Then he justified preference for navy over brown by claiming the most famous Padre ever, Tony Gwynn, hated brown and preferred navy. Until quotes from Gwynn were dug up that proved he did a 180 and embraced brown after earlier dismissing it. 

bosrs man, if you just don't like brown? Just say it's your preference. That's ultimately all you need. Your attempts to amplify your personal opinion, however, have all faltered. Though at this point it's clear you're just pushing posters' buttons to push them ;) 

Regardless of all of that? Dressing up like soldiers is, in my opinion, tasteless. 

The justification of "San Diego has a military base" is stupid too. A lot of major cities have those. You could argue Tampa is a bigger military town than San Diego is, and you don't see the Lightning, Rays, or Bucs cosplaying as soldiers.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, larrypep said:

Jayce Tingler is sporting the new hat with the old jersey.  The differences in brown is evident. spacer.png

They should have just waited until the 9th or 10th to do the press conference.

11 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

"Spanish missionaries had an affiliation with Conquistadors and therefore it's appropriate for them to dress up as the US military" is an even bigger stretch than Ottawa's attempt to justify the name "Senators" with a Roman centurion logo. 

Well, that's mostly me trying to parse out the logic, no matter how much of a reach. Mental gymnastics is a fun activity.

Though I get it. It's all @bosrs1 has. And by the way? He's trolling you all at this point. You know that right? 

Well, Poe's Law is a pain. I still think he's a 100% legit navy fan who is close to quitting the team for switching back to brown. He has his fond memories of those '90s teams and was told all about the navy PCL squads by his relatives, so he's not going to stop supporting it.

Anyway first he said the preference for brown was a minority opinion. Until focus groups proved it was the consensus among most Padres fans. 

Then he justified preference for navy over brown by claiming the most famous Padre ever, Tony Gwynn, hated brown and preferred navy. Until quotes from Gwynn were dug up that proved he did a 180 and embraced brown after earlier dismissing it. 

Funny enough, he was probably right at first with the "minority opinion" bit. Then the team abandoned sand road jerseys, went further into blandness in 2012 and 2017, and brought in a brown jersey to appease the "vocal minority." Said minority became a majority once the brown jersey became a best-seller and people grew further dissatisfied with the failure of the free agent signings of the mid-'00s and missing the playoffs/Game 163 since 2007. That's when his opinion became inaccurate.

Also, he never tried to dispute Tony Gwynn's turnaround, which I find suspect.

bosrs man, if you just don't like brown? Just say it's your preference. That's ultimately all you need. Your attempts to amplify your personal opinion, however, have all faltered. Though at this point it's clear you're just pushing posters' buttons to push them ;) 

Indeed. @bosrs1 is turning into the legendary "I'm not owned" tweet.

He's also an A's fan who hates kelly green, dislikes yellow jerseys, and has an utter loathing for all things SF Giants. These kind of people are the worst and make me root against the A's at all turns. 

Regardless of all of that? Dressing up like soldiers is, in my opinion, tasteless. 

The justification of "San Diego has a military base" is stupid too. A lot of major cities have those. You could argue Tampa is a bigger military town than San Diego is, and you don't see the Lightning, Rays, or Bucs cosplaying as soldiers.

Agreed. I can see the arguments for the Padres doing it, but a subtler reference would be far more appreciated. A ribbon, a patch, or something that doesn't play into the military fetishism. Not all traditions are good.

35 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Low-res, but the cap looks great, especially compared with the grayer-brown backdrop. 

EIOdm3xXUAA2m0j?format=jpg&name=large

With last year's jersey.

lSelDNz.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

San Diego Padres Show Off New Cap, Colours, SD Logo for 2020

October 31, 2019 - 19:01 PM

The San Diego Padres are out here soft-launching this new logo and colour scheme, and we’re all for it. With over a week still before the team officially unveils their new logos, colours, and uniforms, the Padres this morning introduced […]

Read More...

12 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

With last year's jersey.

lSelDNz.png

Its hard to judge, because we’re dealing with two very different materials here, and most teams have some disconnect between their caps and colored jerseys.  But the new brown seems much warmer, much less green/gray.  

I live it.  Just feels right, with the gold.  Beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Actually not. Both the trolling and your Tampa Bay assertion. There are 15,000 military based in Tampa. There are almost 100,000 in San Diego. 

Also the last focus groups preferred brown and gold yes, but only after the team had neutered their blue identity. And the original blue and orange remained one of the more popular choices among those small focus groups. Previous polling the team claims to have done said otherwise back before the last few bland blue and white years. Yet another reason they should have at least stuck with the ASG uni.

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I live it.  Just feels right, with the gold.  Beautiful.

The Padres should totally use this line on November 9th.

😉

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

24 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

With last year's jersey.

lSelDNz.png

Yeah the new cap isn’t bad. If it has to be brown... that’s the best option I’ve seen. Just a shame it wasn’t paired with the new unis for the presser rather than pairing it with an outgoing alt jersey.

The hat in the photo looks pretty nice...I was disappointed at the darkening of brown reported a couple of pages back, but this looks like it might be just fine.  Will probably want to see something on the field, though.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, that's mostly me trying to parse out the logic, no matter how much of a reach. Mental gymnastics is a fun activity.

Well, Poe's Law is a pain. I still think he's a 100% legit navy fan who is close to quitting the team for switching back to brown. He has his fond memories of those '90s teams and was told all about the navy PCL squads by his relatives, so he's not going to stop supporting it.

Funny enough, he was probably right at first with the "minority opinion" bit. Then the team abandoned sand road jerseys, went further into blandness in 2012 and 2017, and brought in a brown jersey to appease the "vocal minority." Said minority became a majority once the brown jersey became a best-seller and people grew further dissatisfied with the failure of the free agent signings of the mid-'00s and missing the playoffs/Game 163 since 2007. That's when his opinion became inaccurate.

Also, he never tried to dispute Tony Gwynn's turnaround, which I find suspect.

Indeed. @bosrs1 is turning into the legendary "I'm not owned" tweet.

He's also an A's fan who hates kelly green, dislikes yellow jerseys, and has an utter loathing for all things SF Giants. These kind of people are the worst and make me root against the A's at all turns. 

Agreed. I can see the arguments for the Padres doing it, but a subtler reference would be far more appreciated. A ribbon, a patch, or something that doesn't play into the military fetishism. Not all traditions are good.

What’s to dispute on T Gwynn? He apparently turned around near the end. 

As for being an A’s fan, haven’t really been one for years now. Being 450 miles away can do that. But it’s not an uncommon position for A’s fans to hate the Giants. In fact, I’ve never met a primarily A’s fan that likes the Giants. Can’t say the opposite is true in that Giants fans in general seem ambivalent about the A’s... but you’ll be hard pressed to ever find an A’s fan wearing one of those ridiculous Bay Bridge caps.

Also even in brown I’m nowhere near close to quitting on the Pads. But I’ll be a charter member of the Bring Back the Blue campaign. Even if it takes 25 years and a few ownership groups. 

Archived