Jump to content

San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion


Gothamite
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Also even in brown I’m nowhere near close to quitting on the Pads. But I’ll be a charter member of the Bring Back the Blue campaign. Even if it takes 25 years and a few ownership groups. 


Yeah, I doubt that’ll happen. Once you go back to the original colors (unless you’re dummies like the Bucks), there’s no going back to the other looks. The Canucks, Wizards, Capitals, Blue Jays (close enough), and Sabres are all examples of this. The Padres will join them soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:


Yeah, I doubt that’ll happen. Once you go back to the original colors (unless you’re dummies like the Bucks), there’s no going back to the other looks. The Canucks, Wizards, Capitals, Blue Jays (close enough), and Sabres are all examples of this. The Padres will join them soon. 

The Padres would’ve never changed in the first place had it not been for the disastrous ownership of Tom Werner.  Nobody was clamoring for the blue back then. It was a long-lasting anomaly that I’m thankful is over. The team is back to wearing their rightful colors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Actually not. Both the trolling

I think actively taking potshots at San Francisco in a discussion about the San Diego Padres, specifically to rile up the person you're talking to because they're from there, qualifies as trolling. 

 

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

and your Tampa Bay assertion. There are 15,000 military based in Tampa. There are almost 100,000 in San Diego.

Tampa is home to MacDill Airforce Base. Which itself is home to US Central Command and US Special Operations Command. I think the argument could be made that Tampa's a very important vocal point for the US military, one not surpassed by many other locales. 

 

Regardless of "which base is more important"? You can't deny the importance of the military presence to Tampa. And I've yet to see a Tampa team cosplay as soldiers. 

 

It's not even a San Diego thing either, because the Chargers never did that outside of the tasteless NFL-mandated military tributes. It's just that the Padres have this weird fascination with playing soldier dress-up. 

A military appreciation patch and the day's proceeds donated to a charity for soldiers and their families would be a far more tasteful tribute to US servicemen and servicewomen. 

 

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Also the last focus groups preferred brown and gold yes, but only after the team had neutered their blue identity. And the original blue and orange remained one of the more popular choices among those small focus groups. Previous polling the team claims to have done said otherwise back before the last few bland blue and white years. Yet another reason they should have at least stuck with the ASG uni.

That's a lot of baseless speculation. 

"Navy only lost because it wasn't the right navy!" Ok. Sure. 

 

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

What’s to dispute on T Gwynn? He apparently turned around near the end. 

Thing is it's fine. Tony Gwynn never factored into this until you decided to tie your anti-brown opinion to his earlier statements. Then vanished when quotes were presented to show he had changed his mind on the matter. 

 

Had you just said "hey I prefer navy over brown" it would have been fine. It's when you tried to claim that opinion was correct because of Gwynn's opinions on the matter that his later quotes became relevant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think actively taking potshots at San Francisco in a discussion about the San Diego Padres, specifically to rile up the person you're talking to because they're from there, qualifies as trolling. 

 

Tampa is home to MacDill Airforce Base. Which itself is home to US Central Command and US Special Operations Command. I think the argument could be made that Tampa's a very important vocal point for the US military, one not surpassed by many other locales. 

 

Regardless of "which base is more important"? You can't deny the importance of the military presence to Tampa. And I've yet to see a Tampa team cosplay as soldiers. 

 

It's not even a San Diego thing either, because the Chargers never did that outside of the tasteless NFL-mandated military tributes. It's just that the Padres have this weird fascination with playing soldier dress-up. 

A military appreciation patch and the day's proceeds donated to a charity for soldiers and their families would be a far more tasteful tribute to US servicemen and servicewomen. 

 

That's a lot of baseless speculation. 

"Navy only lost because it wasn't the right navy!" Ok. Sure. 

 

Thing is it's fine. Tony Gwynn never factored into this until you decided to tie your anti-brown opinion to his earlier statements. Then vanished when quotes were presented to show he had changed his mind on the matter. 

 

Had you just said "hey I prefer navy over brown" it would have been fine. It's when you tried to claim that opinion was correct because of Gwynn's opinions on the matter that his later quotes became relevant. 


You must’ve missed where pot shots at San Francisco were offered in jest in response to potshots at San Diego 🤔

 

And yes the military is clearly important to Tampa and its bases important. But you’re not acknowledging that as important as it is to Tampa, it is far more critical to San Diego. Pull the military out of SD and on an economic level the city would be in utter turmoil. Hell Naval Base SD (which is only one of many bases in the area) is the city’s largest employer and alone employs more than double what all installations in Tampa do. What you see as playing dress up, the military around here has repeatedly acknowledged as appreciated acknowledgement. And beyond that, good marketing. Tampa teams have less incentive to want to do that. 
 

And while the Chargers didn’t do a military jersey (no doubt in part due to NFL uniform restrictions) they did plenty of military saluting including the Salute to Service accessories and gear on the sidelines. The Gulls too wear a military jersey every season. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

You must’ve missed where pot shots at San Francisco were offered in jest in response to potshots at San Diego 🤔

 

I've only been reading this page of the thread since getting off of work, man. If there were earlier shots taken at SD? Fair enough, but you do have a reputation around here of having an odd fascination with trying to disparage San Francisco while propping up San Jose. As an outsider? I don't get it.

 

11 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

And yes the military is clearly important to Tampa and its bases important. But you’re not acknowledging that as important as it is to Tampa, it is far more critical to San Diego. Pull the military out of SD and on an economic level the city would be in utter turmoil. Hell Naval Base SD (which is only one of many bases in the area) is the city’s largest employer and alone employs more than double what all installations in Tampa do. What you see as playing dress up, the military around here has repeatedly acknowledged as appreciated acknowledgement. And beyond that, good marketing. Tampa teams have less incentive to want to do that. 

The military also paid the NFL for all of those "salute the troops" events the Chargers (and every other NFL team) did. I don't have a problem with the US military. I have family and friends who have served or currently serve in the Canadian Forces. I have a great deal of respect for the men and women who serve. That being said? I find the propaganda arm of the US military to be very disingenuous on matters like this, because they're proven to be willing to pay off sports teams for a bit of jingoism.

And I stand by what I said. When non-soldiers dress up as soldiers it's tacky and tasteless (an opinion I hold because of the respect I have for actual soldiers). If the Padres want to honour US troops? A Support the Troops patch and a significant donation to a military-centric charity would be far more tasteful.

 

11 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

The Gulls too wear a military jersey every season. 

Minor league sports are full of embarrassing gimmick uniforms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I've only been reading this page of the thread since getting off of work, man. If there were earlier shots taken at SD? Fair enough, but you do have a reputation around here of having an odd fascination with trying to disparage San Francisco while propping up San Jose. As an outsider? I don't get it.

 

The military also paid the NFL for all of those "salute the troops" events the Chargers (and every other NFL team) did. I don't have a problem with the US military. I have family and friends who have served or currently serve in the Canadian Forces. I have a great deal of respect for the men and women who serve. That being said? I find the propaganda arm of the US military to be very disingenuous on matters like this, because they're proven to be willing to pay off sports teams for a bit of jingoism.

And I stand by what I said. When non-soldiers dress up as soldiers it's tacky and tasteless (an opinion I hold because of the respect I have for actual soldiers). If the Padres want to honour US troops? A Support the Troops patch and a significant donation to a military-centric charity would be far more tasteful.

 

Minor league sports is full of embarrassing gimmick uniforms.


So are the Big 4. Though those of us in SD don’t see the Camo as one of them. You may which is your right, but you’re not in SD... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Though those of us in SD don’t see the Camo as one of them. You may which is your right, but you’re not in SD... 

The world is full of people commenting on stuff that's not within their immediate vicinity ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:


So are the Big 4. Though those of us in SD don’t see the Camo as one of them. You may which is your right, but you’re not in SD... 

 

You just have to be from there to understand!!!! ;) 

 

Just because I'm not from The Philippines doesn't exclude me from judging people who do crucifixion reenactments. Just because I'm not Dutch doesn't mean I can't criticize Zwarte Piet. Just because I'm not from San Diego doesn't mean I can't criticize military fetishism, no matter how important it is to the city. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jn8 said:

So ummm, off topic (but technically on the topic of the thread title), I’m a little let down that the “Taco Bell” hat isn’t making a comeback, but at least the brown is back


I was afraid the Taco Bell look would be front and center. Glad to see it’s off to a good start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:


I was afraid the Taco Bell look would be front and center. Glad to see it’s off to a good start.


Agreed. Taco Bell cap was the first of many decisions in the 70’s that took brown into a style pit. Very happy it was axed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The world is full of people commenting on stuff that's not within their immediate vicinity ;)

 

I wish there was more variety in sports uniforms based on the team's region and fan base and thus always defer to what those people think is right for their team. There are many looks that I think don't work, but I can be open minded enough to consider that they may work perfectly well for that teams's fans/region. Who am I, an outsider, to say it's bad for them? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:


Agreed. Taco Bell cap was the first of many decisions in the 70’s that took brown into a style pit. Very happy it was axed.

 

On this I agree. 

 

Brown and gold is a fantastic color combination.  Adding orange was a step too far, muddying up a really great look.  I’m glad the club showed some restraint and instead came full circle to their original and best color scheme. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.