Gothamite

San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

46 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Not in real life. Hat was beautiful, and two colors were clearly defined. 

In real life too.  Was not a good look, and the yellow button on top made it even worse.  It would’ve been one million percent better to just make the S yellow too. 

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Few people, ie you. The fact of the matter is there are multiple instances across all leagues where teams play in stadiums and arenas where they use colors that do not match what the teams wear and it has always been a non issue. Seriously dude just say you don’t like brown and be done with it. Coming up with b.s. excuses and reasonings that can easily be disproven isn’t they way to go about it.

Try reading the thread next time *shakes head*

54 minutes ago, larrypep said:

In real life too.  Was not a good look, and the yellow button on top made it even worse.  It would’ve been one million percent better to just make the S yellow too. 

Nah, it was a solid look. Harkened back to the 91 cap.

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Nah, it was a solid look. Harkened back to the 91 cap.

It was a weak attempt to harken back to the 91 cap, which wasn’t that great to begin with.  All they did was changed the colors of the 85 uniforms and added a touch of minor league flair with the two-toned logo.  At least white and orange provided a fairly good contrast, but white and yellow looked pretty bad and would look worse with the brown uniform. I really hope they don’t go with that two-colored configuration. It doesn’t look good. 

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Try reading the thread next time *shakes head*

It’s ok don’t actually fight actual argument because it’s so weak.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

It’s ok don’t actually fight actual argument because it’s so weak.

Nice deflection... 

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Nice deflection... 

you are literally ignoring the arguement about how it doesn’t matter a cross all leagues for multiple teams. Just say you don’t like brown already. It’s not that hard.

Y’all need to stop being so pessimistic, it’s the Padres in brown and yellow, something 90% of this board has wanted for years.

4 hours ago, dont care said:

you are literally ignoring the arguement about how it doesn’t matter a cross all leagues for multiple teams. Just say you don’t like brown already. It’s not that hard.

Already said that a long way back dude. But good job not acknowledging that it does matter to more than just me about the stadium color in this thread...

On 10/31/2019 at 6:52 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Yup. That’s fantastic. 

Hmm..

I wonder if it would look better with a white S or D. Like this cap had:

413d2bd1d96e218c000103b6eb955707_740x.jp

EDIT: I just looked up and saw they recently had a yellow/white logo on navy. Shows how much I care about the Padres (or how small their national footprint is).

I think a white/yellow logo would have been a nice connection, but starting fresh is good too.

Next step, fixing the D-Backs! Then the NL West will look good top to bottom. And Arizona could easily switch right back to 2001 and we'd be all set.

One color SD looks way better than two-color, in my opinion.  If white is needed (it’s not) I’d rather play with outlining.

This hat turned out perfectly.

EDIT: the blue/yellow ASG jersey was great but the two-color cap logo wasn’t.

50 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Already said that a long way back dude. But good job not acknowledging that it does matter to more than just me about the stadium color in this thread...

Does it really, though?  And is there the same concern about the Pirates, Rockies, Brewers, Dodgers, Twins, Phillies, Mets, or any of the many other teams whose stadium seats don’t match the uniform colors?

30 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Does it really, though?  And is there the same concern about the Pirates, Rockies, Brewers, Dodgers, Twins, Phillies, Mets, or any of the many other teams whose stadium seats don’t match the uniform colors?

The Phillies mention caught me off guard. I've been there about five times but couldn't remember on the spot. Seats are royal blue, right?

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Hmm..

I wonder if it would look better with a white S or D. Like this cap had:

413d2bd1d96e218c000103b6eb955707_740x.jp

EDIT: I just looked up and saw they recently had a yellow/white logo on navy. Shows how much I care about the Padres (or how small their national footprint is).

I think a white/yellow logo would have been a nice connection, but starting fresh is good too.

Next step, fixing the D-Backs! Then the NL West will look good top to bottom. And Arizona could easily switch right back to 2001 and we'd be all set.

I really like the 2016 asg cap. I’m a fan of both two tone and solid. 

Hat club recently did a custom with the older SD:

spacer.png

Cant say it always works. 

28 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

The Phillies mention caught me off guard. I've been there about five times but couldn't remember on the spot. Seats are royal blue, right?

Royal or navy, can’t remember. Only been there once.  But even though they have a touch of royal in their unis, the seats are a neutral color. 

34 minutes ago, MattMill said:

spacer.png

Better imo. That’s actually not bad at all.

1 hour ago, MattMill said:

spacer.png

That’s what should’ve been their primary home cap. Especially if they’re gonna pair it with pinstripes. 

I cant remember off the top of my head, but the two color monogram thing is/was unique to the Padres, right? That would’ve been the PERFECT way to switch to a brown set that’s classy, yet also is a nice nod to the most successful era in team history. 

Eh, I don’t think the two-color monogram is any better than the all-gold version.  Especially the current monogram, with its broken lines, doesn’t divide into two colors as well as the old one does. 

spacer.png

That gap really bothers me when the two letters are separated by color. 

As for unique, the Twins already use a two-color monogram. 

spacer.png