San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

17 minutes ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

It is because green is a neutral seat color that a lot of teams implemented in the 90's for the retro park era.  Even the White Sox ditched their royal blue seats and walls for dark green to what they thought would "add character" to their park.  

And navy is also a neutral color.  Just ask the Pirates:

pnc-park-95ea11d3.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, the admiral said:

For how many years did I say "you can't just paint-bucket the 2004 design elements into brown and gold, they were designed for the ocean colors" in concept threads? The Padres really made an ass of me!

I think they've made it work! The shampoo script is long gone, while the letters have been modified enough to not have the "ocean colors only" look. I'd have loved an entirely new font, but the updates really allow it to work. 

41 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

EIyNeSJU4AE0cyK.png:large

That's not bad

Not bad at all. Reminds me of the “San Diego” they had on the road jerseys for a couple of years before they inexplicably reverted to the Bow tie. Like the uniform size.

9 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I'd hope it's slightly less bold to better match the SD on the cap. That was one thing that bugged me about the current browns is that wordmark was just so bold, add to it the white outline, and it's just too much. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Definitely looks less bold than the old one

Just now, bosrs1 said:

Definitely looks less bold than the old one

Agreed and I think its because the letters are less angular and fat/wide. They have made the letters both skinnier and rounder and it helps a huge amount. I think the stubbiness of the old logo is why the P and S had to be larger. It made the whole think out of balance and not look right on the jersey...particularly the brown one.

1 minute ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Was not a fan of the white outline on the most recent brown jersey.  I think removing that will drastically improve the look

White outlines usually muddy up a look.   They're not needed with the amount of contrast between brown and gold.

25 minutes ago, LaJolla Archon said:

We have a fan mock up!

If that’s it... I don’t hate it. Not my favorite Padres uni by a long shot (that will always be the ‘90’s blue pinstripe uni I first saw them in)... but it’s the best brown uni they’ve ever worn by a mile. And better than the most recent uni set for sure. 

4 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

A lot of these people on this site have never been to San Diego much less to Petco Park to know that they built the stadium tying in the uniforms at the time Blue and Sand into the design.  And no this is not an excuse to say they should not use brown and yellow.  I love the brown and yellow but being someone that has been to Petco it is blatantly obvious on how they tied the construction colors into the uniforms at the time.  Time will tell once the seats have been bleached by the California sun into a weird blue that sticks out even more against the brown than navy on a day when people don't show up to the park.  

the seats were originally, and fairly far along into the planning process, going to be baby blue.

Archived