San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

I absolutely love it. One of the biggest upgrades of uniforms in any sport, ever. The Padres have suddenly leaped from one of the most bland, lifeless sets in baseball to one of the best and most unique. There honestly isn’t a single thing that I think needs changing.

Now, if the Brewers can stick the landing on their redesign, we’ll have to talk about this being one of the best off-seasons for uniforms in baseball history.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan of pinstripes and piping together. Pick one (piping!) or the other. I love the road sand color, though. Huge fan of uncommon road colors. Loved the dark gray Diamondbacks road color. Not necessarily the uni as a whole with the snakeskin patterns, but the color was a neat departure.

I like the brown top being the primary road. We’re beyond the days of needing grays. Gimme some color. Not necessarily with these unis, but let’s get more colored pants, too. Other teams could wear navy, black, red, etc. Gray is a tradition we can get rid of.

Swinging friar on a spring training/BP hat will sell like hot cakes.

I like it very much! The thin trim/pinstripes combo is far better than I imagined it would be, while the sand/brown road uniform and the full sand pinstripes are also fantastic. I like that they're being honest about wearing the brown jersey on the road more than the sand set. It'd be nice if other teams did that (e.g., Pirates and White Sox).

While the cleaned up wordmarks are good-looking (especially that "San Diego"), I do wish the home wordmark was a touch smaller and the brown top had no white outlines, but those are minor quibbles. The Swinging Friar's return is also very welcome. The swoosh is whatever - I'll live with it.

They've managed to go back to their proper colors and put a fantastic spin on things. Well done! The Padres might just have turned the corner.

27 minutes ago, daveindc said:

IMG_20191109_191511-590x770.jpgpadres-new-uniform-compare-brown-gold-colours-590x551.jpg

honestly cannot say im a fan, i love the swinging friar and the colors it utilizes, but that brown pinstripe uni is garish and the pants on the third jersey look like khakis. love the top on the third jersey and home pinstripes though

My .02...love the home. I’m ok with alts, but the traditionalist in me hates the fact that the road is not gray and features a dark top. The nitpick in me is bugged by the fact the swinging friar faces away...like a little kid who swung and missed. Maybe it’s fitting after seeing the roads.

KISSwall09.jpg

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

And yea the white outline on the brown is unnecessary. 

So hey wheres the camo? Didnt they say it was still happening? Maybe to be revealed later?

Chris' article states that two camouflage uniforms will be revealed tomorrow. Clearly one will be patterned after the Marine Corps digi-camos. I'm wondering if the other will be the green Navy digi-camo since the Navy recently phased out the 'blueberry' uniforms.

They're solid.  Very solid.  I still don't like the neck/sleeve piping on the home and road pinstripes which I think would have looked better on the brown road jersey than the single color yellow it has.  Outside of that and the front and center Nike logo (which is outside of the team's control) these look like a nice improvement over what was.  I'll give them a B+.

It's actually a nice mix of several looks over the past 35 years

* brown primary road jersey and friar logo of the mid-80s

* home and road brown pinstripes of the late-80s
* sand of the late-2000s

* brown alt jersey of the late-2010s

Very nice.  Now, let's see how long they stick with them.  I honestly think that it does not matter that the brown jersey is the official road jersey, since it's likely they would have worn them as much, if not more, than a normal grey set.  Is there even any rules regarding how many games a jersey can be worn in baseball?

Archived