San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Did we see the backs of these? I'm guessing standard block names, Petco2.0 numbers?

They are on mlb shop. Looks like the numerals are part of that font that the word mark uses

KISSwall09.jpg

The merits of having a military themed uniform were a hot topic on these boards not long ago. Looking through social media this morning, outside the praise for this uniform set, there were a lot of comments inquiring if there would still be a Sunday camo uniform (there will). That said enough to me about how important that uniform is to Padres fans. 

Here's my two cents

Like others. PADRES is a tad too large. To that same effect,'i think Nike enlarged their swoosh which is also on their left rear pants. 

I just don't like brown as a dominant color. I like the darker shade, which may look like black in certain lighting situations. I can deal with black more than brown. A brown cap is enough brown for me. 

Extra outline on the brown set. Why?

Extra outline on the military cap. Why? 

I'm honestly surprised they have only two caps.  Same with AZ. Shocking we aren't seeing 4-5 hats. This is great for branding though. 

Sand and pinstripes. It looks like dirty laundry for the most part. 

I love love love the white set. 

I liked their prior SanDiego wordmark. This one kind of looks like one word. 

It's uniquely SD now. So that's great from a branding and variety perspective. 

As far as shades of browns that are acceptable, I'd say use the camo set and stop there. Ditch the other two. 

7 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

I will forever be in the camp (probably by myself) that the friars looked best in navy and orange with pinstripes. That's the padres to me.

I will say that this isnt a bad rebrand. They actually look decent for the first time since about 2000 or so.

Right there with you. Navy and Orange is the definitive look, but this is both the best brown look by far, but a toss up with the 2016 one offs for best look since fall of 2001 when they ditched the orange and navy pinstripe uni. 

Given the clamor for brown, I can’t fault them for going to it, and I’m just happy they seem to have got it right. Doubly happy because I’ve also heard rumor that their primary throwback when they have those games going forward will be a ‘98 jersey. 

20 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

The merits of having a military themed uniform were a hot topic on these boards not long ago. Looking through social media this morning, outside the praise for this uniform set, there were a lot of comments inquiring if there would still be a Sunday camo uniform (there will). That said enough to me about how important that uniform is to Padres fans. 

Thank you for confirming what I’ve said all along. This board may hate camo in general, but it is very important to San Diego that there be one. Two may be pushing it but I get not wanting to leave the Navy out and just honor the Marines since both branches have such a massive impact on the region.

20 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Only if you confuse “Internet comment sections” with “population in general”. Which you wouldn’t. 😛

I love it all. The brown top could be better without a white outline, would like an SD version of the brown jersey maybe, but you don’t need it twice on the hat and chest really. I think the sand looks great. Honestly thought it was gray until I read here that it was sand. It’s a good way to shake up the traditional road gray I think, and looks a lot better than their former sand uniform. I love both pinstripe sets and that they added trim to be a little different with them. 

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Only if you confuse “Internet comment sections” with “population in general”. Which you wouldn’t. 😛

Fair but it shouldn’t be completely discounted either, IMO. 

1 hour ago, larrypep said:

spacer.png

I love that they aren't block numbers ... though I won't lie ... I wish there weren't serifs on them. Still, I like them.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived