San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

I think you may be right. Seeing the Navy camo it’s close but has a distinct puke tone. 

If I want to get truly technical it’s not technically even MARPAT (marines camo pattern) As it doesn’t have the eagle globe and anchor in the pattern as official MARPAT does. The colors match though.

10 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

To come back to this thread, and say something I didn't get to last night: Anyone whose complaining about the fact the Padres opted to go with both Pinstripes & Trim..... yeah, no. The fact they decided to do both is unique to them now, as they become the 1st team to do it with a button-down & they nailed the thickness of it as well. 

Also, if any other team brings back road pinstripes, it should be the Twins IMO. 

You could've stated your opinion without "yeah, no" cause I instantly disregarded your opinion right at that point.

1 hour ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Do fans like these camo uniforms?

Generally speaking, yes. They’re one of if not the most requested every year by little league teams the Padres supply in the area. And I read a couple of years back the USMC desert look were a big seller for the team.

Heck anecdotally I’ve seen locals who wanted them to become the primary home uni on occasion, including last night on FB. 

Not sure if my two shiny pennies were added but I just want to say that this rebrand is fantastic. 

My favorite jersey may actually be the sand colored road pinstriped uniform. I didn't tally the opinions on it but I'm sure my opinion on them is in the minority. It's a nice nod to the late 80s look. The brown tops are a nice alternate for the road (and I do think they will become the main road uniform within the next couple of seasons) but the road pinstripes are a unique look and I hope they stick around.

One more note - like everyone else, I hate the obtrusive swoosh on the chest but we will probably get used to it quickly...Stockholm Syndrome and all of that stuff.

30 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Not sure if my two shiny pennies were added but I just want to say that this rebrand is fantastic. 

My favorite jersey may actually be the sand colored road pinstriped uniform. I didn't tally the opinions on it but I'm sure my opinion on them is in the minority. It's a nice nod to the late 80s look. The brown tops are a nice alternate for the road (and I do think they will become the main road uniform within the next couple of seasons) but the road pinstripes are a unique look and I hope they stick around.

One more note - like everyone else, I hate the obtrusive swoosh on the chest but we will probably get used to it quickly...Stockholm Syndrome and all of that stuff.

I think you’re in the majority.  The sand colored pinstripes have already sold out. Everywhere I read the consensus seems to be the road pinstripes are the best set and folks are stating that should be the primary (I agree).  I do like that set the best as well, but I’d also like to see it in action on the field. 

16 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

To come back to this thread, and say something I didn't get to last night: Anyone whose complaining about the fact the Padres opted to go with both Pinstripes & Trim..... yeah, no. The fact they decided to do both is unique to them now, as they become the 1st team to do it with a button-down & they nailed the thickness of it as well.  

Just because something is unique doesn't mean it's good.

The sand pinstripes might just overtake the White Sox' road greys as my favourite road uniform in baseball. It would be closer if the Sox hadn't tweaked theirs for the worst years back, but as it stands? I may just buy a Padres sand pinstriped jersey. 

And that's a first. The only baseball jerseys I have are Jays jerseys. 

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I’d love to see the Bucks add brown to their palette; it would be appropriately woodsy. 

18 hours ago, Buc said:

Ooh, that's a good one. They'd probably have to make a decision on the Great Lake blue color that they have--and brighten up the green--but I can see brown working very well with green and cream--as well as give the deer the distinction of being the first top- level pro team to employ green and brown together. It occurs in nature all the time--why not the hardwood???

Just.... no.  The Bucks forcing yet another color into their brand would turn them into basketball's answer to the Padres.

^ Which is pretty much what I said, on both counts. 😁

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Take this mess to the unpopular opinions thread, the Bucks nailed their rebrand (other than the blue, but it's hardly noticeable so it doesn't detract).

As for the Padres, I agree with the masses, but I have one quibble: needs an SD chest-monogram alternate. I wouldn't mind that on the brown, because the city wordmark doesn't work nearly as well as the nickname wordmark, for me.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

40 minutes ago, Digby said:

Take this mess to the unpopular opinions thread, the Bucks nailed their rebrand (other than the blue, but it's hardly noticeable so it doesn't detract).

As for the Padres, I agree with the masses, but I have one quibble: needs an SD chest-monogram alternate. I wouldn't mind that on the brown, because the city wordmark doesn't work nearly as well as the nickname wordmark, for me.

I’ve seen this desire expressed elsewhere, but apparently the focus groups that gave us this also had a clear answer to the chest cap monograms... no. The clear preference was apparently for a full word mark on all jerseys, hence the end result. 

Archived