San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

Speaking of brown Padres gear... has anyone else ever come across this oddity from American Needle? They claim it’s a ‘69 on field Padres cap. But clearly it’s the ‘85 color scheme (with added orange squatchee) but with an odd hybrid of the ‘69 and ‘85 SDs. It’s got the hanging D like the ‘69 but the simple rounded square style of the ‘85. 

spacer.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Speaking of brown Padres gear... has anyone else ever come across this oddity from American Needle? They claim it’s a ‘69 on field Padres cap. But clearly it’s the ‘85 color scheme (with added orange squatchee) but with an odd hybrid of the ‘69 and ‘85 SDs. It’s got the hanging D like the ‘69 but the simple rounded square style of the ‘85. 

spacer.png

That hat is a joke and a disgrace.  

On 11/10/2019 at 6:22 PM, Brian in Boston said:

Oh, it's always been an issue to me. I'm of the mind that when Major League Baseball teams take the field they shouldn't be attired as though they're competing in a local men's slow-pitch softball league.

I could not agree more.  It is where we are now, though, because they seem to be popular, even among some on this board.  Of course, we now see people wearing tee shirts to funerals, golf polos to weddings, and hoodies to fairly nice restaurants, so the informality of baseball uniforms may just be a product of the current culture.  

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

Resents-The-City Edition

Thinks-gays-will-try-to-murder-and-eat-them Edition

spacer.png

My Friend Dahmer is a fantastic movie, based around cartoonist Derf Backderf’s graphic novel about growing up in Bathe, Ohio with The Milwaukee Cannibal. 

8 minutes ago, Jungle Jim said:

Of course, we now see people wearing tee shirts to funerals, golf polos to weddings, and hoodies to fairly nice restaurants, so the informality of baseball uniforms may just be a product of the current culture.  

Meh, I’d rather respect the wishes of the deceased/married couple than force myself into an outdated standard of “proper-ness.” If they want me to wear a suit, I’ll do it, but I won’t if it isn’t required. 

It’s not a bad trend, as some of the oldsters would have you believe. It just means we have more choices. Just don’t be obnoxious about it and we’re fine.

My brother got married a few weeks ago and he, along with myself, the other best man and the groomsmen, wore Vans to the ceremony. Sure, we were wearing suits so the attire wasn’t entirely informal but attire standards for those kinds of events have changed. I loved the Vans. They were comfortable and the colorway was very simple and fitting for a wedding. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 11/10/2019 at 6:01 PM, bosrs1 said:

So just to get an idea how much the brown has changed from the historic browns many people including myself disliked, here’s the 2020 cap next to an ‘85 style. Much darker, richer brown, that is definitely not mistakable for black in person. 

spacer.png

It makes the one on the right look like the Giants but with "SD"

2 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

It makes the one on the right look like the Giants but with "SD"

Probably the idea. That was a big knock against the ‘85 at the time. They literally stole the Giants style from the same firm from the preceding year, added poop brown and pinstripes and called it a uniform. 

Thankfully the Padres and Giants both went in different directions within a few years into much better looks.

Also has anyone seen anything more on the Sunday Cap being official?

spacer.png

On 11/9/2019 at 7:12 PM, ~Bear said:

Hopefully the Padres keep this look for more than like 3 years. It seems they change their uniforms every offseason.

The Padres actually have some decent players now. They need a recognizable brand for this portion of their history, especially if they start playing well. That's not even mentioning how bland the blue-and-white was.  

That is my main concern.  They absolutely nailed it and because of it I am scared they will mess it up by doing another change here, another change there and bam we are back to Silver/Blue/White mess again. 

2 minutes ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

That is my main concern.  They absolutely nailed it and because of it I am scared they will mess it up by doing another change here, another change there and bam we are back to Silver/Blue/White mess again. 

They’ve said this is for the long haul which they’ve not said of any look in the last 10 years. 

22 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

They’ve said this is for the long haul which they’ve not said of any look in the last 10 years. 

Well it’s what they have to say. So far they haven’t shown me confidence in them not changing every 5 years. Jaguars are in the same boat.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Probably the idea. That was a big knock against the ‘85 at the time. They literally stole the Giants style from the same firm from the preceding year, added poop brown and pinstripes and called it a uniform. 

Thankfully the Padres and Giants both went in different directions within a few years into much better looks.

Also has anyone seen anything more on the Sunday Cap being official?

spacer.png

Nothing officially said yet. I haven’t seen that cap on sale at MLBshop either. 

2 hours ago, larrypep said:

Nothing officially said yet. I haven’t seen that cap on sale at MLBshop either. 

Weird. They had it up with the official on field and previous on field throwback caps at the Padres team store. If it’s not official it is the only cap they are selling with those that’s not so.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Weird. They had it up with the official on field and previous on field throwback caps at the Padres team store. If it’s not official it is the only cap they are selling with those that’s not so.

Yeah, that’s where I got mine. The label said “Padres Alt 2” on the price tag.  The employees I talked to in the store all said the same thing - military alt cap. 

On 11/9/2019 at 7:27 PM, daveindc said:

IMG_20191109_191511-590x770.jpg

Pinstripe issue aside (I'm not a fan of them), of this set the brown jersey sticks out like a sore thumb. The pinstripe versions are very nice, brand consistent. The brown top, in particular the white outline of the yellow logo, doesn't match the system. I'd be happy if they just exclusively used the pinstripe versions and then the camo on Sundays. All in all though, as an "always browner" I'm happy. 

Padres2020.jpg

2 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Pinstripe issue aside (I'm not a fan of them), of this set the brown jersey sticks out like a sore thumb. The pinstripe versions are very nice, brand consistent. The brown top, in particular the white outline of the yellow logo, doesn't match the system. I'd be happy if they just exclusively used the pinstripe versions and then the camo on Sundays. All in all though, as an "always browner" I'm happy. 

1. The outline on the wordmark matches "the system", as the other jerseys have outlines on the wordmarks.

2. A lot of alternate jerseys in MLB don't match "the system" of the home and roads. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived