San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

Yeah the brown top didn’t need white, but if that’s where we’re picking at then that’s not bad. I’m also not a fan of mixing trim with pinstripes, but while it’s not what I would have done, it really doesn’t look bad here.  

the road pinstripes are a perfect example of “what works works, and what doesn’t doesn’t”, as I’m a firm anti-road pinstriper, but this works. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, hawk36 said:

But the cap doesn’t with the yellow on brown. Either outline the SD on the cap or leave the outline off the brown jersey. 

The Pirates’ non-outlined cap is superior to the outlined cap in all instances though, even if the outlined cap matches the alternate.

The Mets, White Sox, Indians, and Royals have single color hat logos but outlines on the alternate jersey. The Mets don’t need the outline on the hat to match, either. 

H3QL34LW3ZCLVKGN6OCVBMUF64.jpg

1176010340.jpg.0.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Froob said:

Boston Bruins should also go back to brown and yellow. It’s a great color scheme.

But the Bruins have a strong, defined identity that's not brown, and besides they can just keep making new brown merch every 3 years when they're inevitably in a Winter Classic. The Padres make this work because they cycled through tons of inferior looks over the last several decades.

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Pirates’ non-outlined cap is superior to the outlined cap in all instances though, even if the outlined cap matches the alternate.

The Mets, White Sox, Indians, and Royals have single color hat logos but outlines on the alternate jersey. The Mets don’t need the outline on the hat to match, either. 

I would submit that this is a "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" thing. It works for the Padres, I think because the cap monogram looks quite different than the wordmark, so you don't get a sense of failed matchiness.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

But the Bruins have a strong, defined identity that's not brown, and besides they can just keep making new brown merch every 3 years when they're inevitably in a Winter Classic. The Padres make this work because they cycled through tons of inferior looks over the last several decades.

I would submit that this is a "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" thing. It works for the Padres, I think because the cap monogram looks quite different than the wordmark, so you don't get a sense of failed matchiness.

They won’t, but it’d be nice if they could. Hopefully the brown is actually brown and doesn’t look black next time.

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

H3QL34LW3ZCLVKGN6OCVBMUF64.jpg

1176010340.jpg.0.jpg

Right, it's something messed up a lot. Consistency would for all, would help all. The SOX is especially egregious since it's the exact same logo just treated differently. Horrible. 

On 11/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, bosrs1 said:

Probably the idea. That was a big knock against the ‘85 at the time. They literally stole the Giants style from the same firm from the preceding year, added poop brown and pinstripes and called it a uniform. 

Thankfully the Padres and Giants both went in different directions within a few years into much better looks.

Also has anyone seen anything more on the Sunday Cap being official?

spacer.png

Just saw on MLB shop’s site that the alternate cap is now available there. 

10 hours ago, larrypep said:

Just saw on MLB shop’s site that the alternate cap is now available there. 

Wasn’t in any stores when I was in SD this past weekend unfortunately. When it DOES arrive, this Dodgers fan is purchasing one.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

51 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

:blink:

That’s high praise, I guess.  Can’t imagine anything that could get me to buy a Cubs or Bears hat. 

Yeah, as much as I love blue and orange, I will never spend my hard earned money on a Mets hat.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, bosrs1 said:

Probably the idea. That was a big knock against the ‘85 at the time. They literally stole the Giants style from the same firm from the preceding year, added poop brown and pinstripes and called it a uniform. 

Thankfully the Padres and Giants both went in different directions within a few years into much better looks.

Also has anyone seen anything more on the Sunday Cap being official?

spacer.png

The alternate hat is nice, but then I realized the colors are essentially baseball's version of this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCfYD05Uh7GsKeVeJpGRf

and now I can't unsee it. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Wasn’t in any stores when I was in SD this past weekend unfortunately. When it DOES arrive, this Dodgers fan is purchasing one.

The only places that have them are the Padres Store at Petco Park or online at MLB.com.  There’s some kind of exclusive thing going on. 

Archived