Gothamite

San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Yeah the brown top didn’t need white, but if that’s where we’re picking at then that’s not bad. I’m also not a fan of mixing trim with pinstripes, but while it’s not what I would have done, it really doesn’t look bad here.  

the road pinstripes are a perfect example of “what works works, and what doesn’t doesn’t”, as I’m a firm anti-road pinstriper, but this works. 

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

1. The outline on the wordmark matches "the system", as the other jerseys have outlines on the wordmarks.

But the cap doesn’t with the yellow on brown. Either outline the SD on the cap or leave the outline off the brown jersey. 

5 hours ago, hawk36 said:

But the cap doesn’t with the yellow on brown. Either outline the SD on the cap or leave the outline off the brown jersey. 

The Pirates’ non-outlined cap is superior to the outlined cap in all instances though, even if the outlined cap matches the alternate.

The Mets, White Sox, Indians, and Royals have single color hat logos but outlines on the alternate jersey. The Mets don’t need the outline on the hat to match, either. 

H3QL34LW3ZCLVKGN6OCVBMUF64.jpg

1176010340.jpg.0.jpg

For all my complaints about the Padres' brown, the color of their brownish-grey is something they did get exactly right.

Boston Bruins should also go back to brown and yellow. It’s a great color scheme.

1 hour ago, Froob said:

Boston Bruins should also go back to brown and yellow. It’s a great color scheme.

But the Bruins have a strong, defined identity that's not brown, and besides they can just keep making new brown merch every 3 years when they're inevitably in a Winter Classic. The Padres make this work because they cycled through tons of inferior looks over the last several decades.

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Pirates’ non-outlined cap is superior to the outlined cap in all instances though, even if the outlined cap matches the alternate.

The Mets, White Sox, Indians, and Royals have single color hat logos but outlines on the alternate jersey. The Mets don’t need the outline on the hat to match, either. 

I would submit that this is a "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" thing. It works for the Padres, I think because the cap monogram looks quite different than the wordmark, so you don't get a sense of failed matchiness.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

But the Bruins have a strong, defined identity that's not brown, and besides they can just keep making new brown merch every 3 years when they're inevitably in a Winter Classic. The Padres make this work because they cycled through tons of inferior looks over the last several decades.

I would submit that this is a "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" thing. It works for the Padres, I think because the cap monogram looks quite different than the wordmark, so you don't get a sense of failed matchiness.

They won’t, but it’d be nice if they could. Hopefully the brown is actually brown and doesn’t look black next time.

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

H3QL34LW3ZCLVKGN6OCVBMUF64.jpg

1176010340.jpg.0.jpg

Right, it's something messed up a lot. Consistency would for all, would help all. The SOX is especially egregious since it's the exact same logo just treated differently. Horrible. 

Dear god these things are awful. Brown and pinstripes: a Stephen King nightmare of a uniform.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:30 AM, hawk36 said:

Or outline it in sand? Dunno how that’d look but if it’s the road jersey, it’d at least be consistent.

16 hours ago, tpoh59 said:

Dear god these things are awful. Brown and pinstripes: a Stephen King nightmare of a uniform.

7eUBhPU.jpg

16 hours ago, tpoh59 said:

Ah, just like the nightmare he had when he realized that people liked Kubrick’s The Shining more than his book.