Gothamite

San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

 

I think the Padres' very first uniforms were the best they ever looked. 

 

Disagree. Off white never looks good IMO. And of course the old SD was inferior to the current interlocking logo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

 

I think the Padres' very first uniforms were the best they ever looked. 

I agree. There was something simple but well designed about them. And after years of liking the newer interlocking SD, I now find myself preferring the old one. Not sure why but it just seems a bit more original?

 

I'd be ecstatic with a return to the originals. What scares me though is a mashup that is ok but not great or even worse, a new modern look that isn't my all time favorite 1978 look.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:
4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I think the Padres' very first uniforms were the best they ever looked. 

 

Disagree. Off white never looks good IMO. And of course the old SD was inferior to the current interlocking logo. 

 

I would take white uniforms over off-white.  But I think the original SD monogram was a lot better than then one that came in for the 1985 season.  The old S and the D were truly interlocking; whereas, in the latter-day monogram, the S is just shoved unattactively into the D.

Anyway, while I am a strong partisan of the 1979-1984 wordmark (not the 1978 straight version; only the arched version), I'd also be pleased if they adopted the simple dignified script of the original home uniform.  Though, in that case, I'd like to see the 1974-1975 script on the road:



Image result for padres 1975

 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

I would take white uniforms over off-white.  But I think the original SD monogram was a lot better than then one that came in for the 1985 season.  The old S and the D were truly interlocking; whereas, in the latter-day monogram, the S is just shoved unattactively into the D.

Anyway, while I am a strong partisan of the 1979-1984 wordmark (not the 1978 straight version; only the arched version), I'd also be pleased if they adopted the simple dignified script of the original home uniform.  Though, in that case, I'd like to see the 1974-1975 script on the road:



Image result for padres 1975

 



 

 

Got to disagree on the interlocking SD. The current interlock is a much better logo. The hanging D logo left both letters too small. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a random thought... curious if anyone knows the reason SD dropped brown in the early 90s to begin with? Like, did anyone back then actually say what they were thinking at the time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Had a random thought... curious if anyone knows the reason SD dropped brown in the early 90s to begin with? Like, did anyone back then actually say what they were thinking at the time?

I remember a Sports Illustrated article from that off-season about the Padres and their uniform change.  Seems like they said something about pleasing the players and starting a new age for the Padres, and quoted guys like Tony Gwynn saying how much happier they were wearing navy and orange instead of the brown.  I also remember being really disappointed in the change, even though I didn't like the brown and orange look they ditched nearly as much as I liked the brown and athletic gold or brown, athletic gold and orange.  Really glad the brown and athletic gold are coming back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Artmanc3po said:

I remember a Sports Illustrated article from that off-season about the Padres and their uniform change.  Seems like they said something about pleasing the players and starting a new age for the Padres, and quoted guys like Tony Gwynn saying how much happier they were wearing navy and orange instead of the brown.  I also remember being really disappointed in the change, even though I didn't like the brown and orange look they ditched nearly as much as I liked the brown and athletic gold or brown, athletic gold and orange.  Really glad the brown and athletic gold are coming back!

So that's interesting. We're here clamoring for a return to brown when the players who wore brown in the early 90s wanted to escape from it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brown used to be very unpopular. They got compared to everything from UPS deliverymen to Taco Bell employees to straight up poop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Artmanc3po said:

Really glad the brown and athletic gold are coming back!

 

Do we know for sure the gold is coming back too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Brown used to be very unpopular. They got compared to everything from UPS deliverymen to Taco Bell employees to straight up poop.

 

 

I'm assuming those comparisons came mostly from fans of rival teams. Brown suits, shirts, jackets, etc are acceptable. Why wouldn't brown in uniforms be?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daveindc said:

 

 

I'm assuming those comparisons came mostly from fans of rival teams. Brown suits, shirts, jackets, etc are acceptable. Why wouldn't brown in uniforms be?

 

 

 

I'm pretty sure the players themselves made some of those comparisons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So that's interesting. We're here clamoring for a return to brown when the players who wore brown in the early 90s wanted to escape from it. 

 

I remember this being a big thing with the Buccaneers 97 rebrand.  Warren Sapp in particular was vocal about how much the players disliked the orange and white uniforms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

I'm pretty sure the players themselves made some of those comparisons.

 

 

Yeah Tony Gwynn supposedly said "baby poo". Who else? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

 

I remember this being a big thing with the Buccaneers 97 rebrand.  Warren Sapp in particular was vocal about how much the players disliked the orange and white uniforms.  

 

I was thinking this but there is a pretty key difference. The Buccaneers switch was a legitimate upgrade while the Padres switch was, IMO, absolutely not. I don’t hate the navy and orange pinstriped uniforms, but I also think they were criminally overrated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Had a random thought... curious if anyone knows the reason SD dropped brown in the early 90s to begin with? Like, did anyone back then actually say what they were thinking at the time?

 

Simple - merchandising took off while fashions changed.  Earth tones went out in a big way, except for the khaki slacks that became all the rage.  People wanted to buy jerseys/jackets/caps in more neutral colors, sarker colors, colors that would coordinate with clothes from the Gap.

 

It's hardly a coincidence that a lot of teams ditched brighter colors during this period, moving to navy and black.  It was all about merchandising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, daveindc said:

I'm assuming those comparisons came mostly from fans of rival teams. Brown suits, shirts, jackets, etc are acceptable. Why wouldn't brown in uniforms be?

 

Brown suits, shirts, and jackets are acceptable now.  But in the 1980s and early 1990s?  They were seen as hopelessly outdated, as much a relic of the 1970s as bell-bottoms and disco music.  Earth tones didn't come back for most clothing until the 2000s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have pointed out, I don't recall brown being considered fashionable in the 90s, especially in sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come to think of it, weren't there several teams who "modernized" circa 1992-1994 from more 70s inspired looks? I'm thinking Padres, Brewers, Mariners, Phillies, Angels, Astros, Indians, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daveindc said:

 

 

Yeah Tony Gwynn supposedly said "baby poo". Who else? 

 

Garvey made the Taco Bell comp, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.