Gothamite

San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

1 hour ago, LaJolla Archon said:

This does look damn sexy.

Unf.  Them colors.  Them pinstripes.  That's a way, Pads.

2 hours ago, LaJolla Archon said:

I know it's not traditional or whatever, but I do like the sleeve and collar piping on these.

I think I do too.  At least they’re balanced, and it introduces a little more good onto the jersey.  

3 hours ago, LaJolla Archon said:

Agreed and I really like how they are promoting all the new stuff with the clean backgrounds in either brown or yellow. Really pulls it all together. 

I agree- I really like the striping on the collar and cuffs with the pins.

I think the reason it works is because the stripes are on the edges of the collar and cuffs as opposed to the style where it’s offset about an inch or two like this:

spacer.png

By having the stripes on the edges, it’s a much cleaner look. If it had a regular headspoon and sleeve stripes, it gets jumbled up too much with the pins, like so:

spacer.png

Good job, Pads.

15 hours ago, larrypep said:

The only places that have them are the Padres Store at Petco Park or online at MLB.com.  There’s some kind of exclusive thing going on. 

Oh I’m patient; I’ll wait until Lids gets them.

18 hours ago, JonBoy said:

I know it's not traditional or whatever, but I do like the sleeve and collar piping on these.

Yeah it goes against my personal "rules", but it does get some more of the yellow on there in a non-obtrusive way, and anything that tastefully adds more yellow is OK with me.  That jersey is going to look great under natural light.

One of the few rebrands that I seem to actually like more and more every time I click into the thread.  Usually, every time I come back to a thread, i pick up on some minor detail that I've missed before and don't like.  Not the case with these.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:25 PM, JonBoy said:

I've always thought that type of piping works well with a pinstriped jersey. The Mets made it work too back in the day.

spacer.png

At first I was hesitant to say these were as good as people were praising them. But a good week or two later and I agree. The tan has grown on me, the brown uniform looks really good, and that white pinstripe is great, maybe one of the best looks in the league, the cap is great! A really nice job San Diego!

I think the piping works only because it's the neckhole and cuffs. That Stripes jersey is a perfect example of how cluttered piping can look on pinstripes when not done correctly.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:03 PM, YankeeBaseball0934f said:
On 11/22/2019 at 8:06 PM, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

Why are these numbers so far down too?

Because the manufacturer used a template that is appropriate for a team with player names on the back, rather than for a team without player names.

9 hours ago, LaJolla Archon said:

Again, very sexy. Nice base shade too. Way better than early 2000s. Shame it is the road alt, although I suspect that may change over time. People here in SD love this one.

i'd imagine it will get worn pretty often, i'm sure guys like Paddack will love rocking this look.

Wouldn't it be so ironic if eventually, like several other teams, the Padres end up wearing their road alternate more than their primary road and then it does end up that the "gray" version becomes the default instead of the usual other way around.

...did I explain that right? lol

It's not grey, but it is the designated away jersey, so I'm wondering if we'll ever see the brown jersey used at home?