San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are several MLB teams - mostly the black or navy ones - that could pull off full mono.  The Giants, Pirates, and White Sox come to mind first.  Not sure I'd want to see a full-purple Rockies set, but full black could be OK.  

Also now that sand is fully back in-play, maybe the door has opened for yellow (again, Pirates) as a base color for a road uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/2/2019 at 7:17 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I agree... They need to transplant the Monochrome trend from football (where it's hideous and destroying the very fabric of the game) to baseball where it belongs (where until the 70's every baseball team had matching tops and pants, as the Good Lord intended).

I tend to agree with you on a lot, but I can never wrap my head around why you think this is right. Monochrome in baseball outside of white and grey is awful and terrible. But it can work in football. Obviously not for every team but it works for some. I mean agree to disagree I guess.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

I tend to agree with you on a lot, but I can never wrap my head around why you think this is right. Monochrome in baseball outside of white and grey is awful and terrible. But it can work in football. Obviously not for every team but it works for some. I mean agree to disagree I guess.

You know, it's mostly just a way to bring up once again how much I hate monochrome football uniforms. 😆  Plus, how do you know "monochrome in baseball outside of white and grey is awful and terrible" when you've literally never seen it?

29 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

You know, it's mostly just a way to bring up once again how much I hate monochrome football uniforms. 😆  Plus, how do you know "monochrome in baseball outside of white and grey is awful and terrible" when you've literally never seen it?

I’ve seen that browns edit, I’ve seen the baby blue throwbacks. I’d much rather not have to see anymore proof 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

49 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Plus, how do you know "monochrome in baseball outside of white and grey is awful and terrible" when you've literally never seen it?

We've seen monochrome on the Phillies, the Indians, the Orioles, the A's, and Cuba, not to mention in softball. All of these looked terrible.

Still, I have to admit that I like the White Sox in this.

51x0saScAlL._SY445_.jpg

(Though the collar should have gone all the way around.)

Also, while I'm not prepared to say that I like the Giants' all-black 1911 World Series uniform, I am intrigued by it.

2350703110_5668b34f42_z.jpg

This just goes to show that every principle has an exception. But the principle — no monochrome in baseball — remains sound.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

16 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This just goes to show that every principle has an exception. But the principle — no monochrome in baseball — remains sound.

We already have monochrome in baseball, and it’s done by all teams: monochrome white and monochrome gray.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

18 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Just think back to when the Seahawks went monochrome blue. I seem to remember them getting panned from all sides. Then, what do know, little by little a lot of teams starting doing it. Not to say it's right/wrong/indifferent. But I'd say if the Padres did all brown and stuck with it (like the Hawks did), paired with success (like the Hawks), I think we'd start to see a lot of monochrome color looks in the league. 

On 11/28/2019 at 4:02 PM, monkeypower said:

That hasn't stopped other teams.

XKUZQKLUIBRVC4IT2PEBWCY6LM.jpg

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

It doesn’t look bad, but the brown jersey is specified as the primary road jersey, hence the “SAN DIEGO” on the front. 

On 12/2/2019 at 9:06 AM, PadreHomer said:

I think it is possible. I think it's more likely that they release an all brown PADRES version for home down the line.

More likely we’d see this.  

1 hour ago, Ben in LA said:
18 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

We already have monochrome in baseball, and it’s done by all teams: monochrome white and monochrome gray.

I am quite sure that you know that the term "monochrome" to describe a baseball or football uniform refers to a colour other than white in both sports, and other than grey in baseball.  All white is great in every sport (and should be the home uniform for every sport  — which is a whole other topic).

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived