San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Just think back to when the Seahawks went monochrome blue. I seem to remember them getting panned from all sides. Then, what do know, little by little a lot of teams starting doing it. Not to say it's right/wrong/indifferent. But I'd say if the Padres did all brown and stuck with it (like the Hawks did), paired with success (like the Hawks), I think we'd start to see a lot of monochrome color looks in the league. 

Monochrome existed LONG before the Seahawks..

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Monochrome existed LONG before the Seahawks..

Absolutely. Just a couple off the top of my head:

HDhtiJZ.jpg

pX0XDle.jpg

6bV5B0K.jpg

And that’s without even going into things like the 1950s Packers. Seattle may have been the first (well known) team to make monochrome their primary home uniform in the modern era, but plenty of teams had experimented with it before them

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

2002 Seahawks or 2012 Seahawks? Because plenty of teams were dabbling in it in the early 2000's..

I am pretty sure I remember Michael Vick being decked out in monochrome black when their current look was introduced.

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

2002 Seahawks or 2012 Seahawks? Because plenty of teams were dabbling in it in the early 2000's..

Hell, Denver would’ve had mono-navy as the primary home combination in ‘97 if John Elway hadn’t talked them into white pants:

f90hlAz.jpg

Cant believe I forgot this one earlier lol

It’s [Monochrome’s] been a staple (I’m using that very loosely) of football uniforms for the past 50 years, it’s just seen a rise in popularity in the 90s and early 2000’s with the rise of black outs and bfbs.
I don’t see how this means it can work in baseball, something just doesn’t automatically work in a completely different sport when it works in another one.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

9 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I am quite sure that you know that the term "monochrome" to describe a baseball or football uniform refers to a colour other than white in both sports, and other than grey in baseball.  All white is great in every sport (and should be the home uniform for every sport  — which is a whole other topic).

I’m aware of that. What I said is still true though and I personally don’t mind seeing some teams mix it up a bit with other monochromatic looks.

Oh and if all white is so great why were so many people on here complaining about the Players Weekend uniforms this year? Just saying...

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

8 hours ago, jn8 said:

Hell, Denver would’ve had mono-navy as the primary home combination in ‘97 if John Elway hadn’t talked them into white pants:

f90hlAz.jpg

Cant believe I forgot this one earlier lol

Weird off-topic fact (I think): I believe this was the last time the Broncos played the Patriots in the preseason. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Oh and if all white is so great why were so many people on here complaining about the Players Weekend uniforms this year? Just saying

Is this a real question? 

There's a huge difference between a white base with contrasting elements on it and the Players Weekend uniforms which were almost literally entirely white where nothing was visible because they all looked like bottles of milk. Hating those uniforms had nothing to do with hating the color white, it was hating the visibility issues brought on by the absence of contrast.

The monochrome issue seems to be the frustration with it's popularity and the 🔥 fire-emoji nonsense from today's athletes who think it looks cool.. 

From both a functional and an aesthetic standpoint, monochrome is almost always inferior to a more standard look.. "Standard" looks are typically easier to differentiate players and alignment when watching the game, broadcasting from the press box, or reviewing film.. and oftentimes, it affords teams an opportunity to display secondary/tertiary team colors and/or tone down a loud or overbearing primary color..

But the monochrome concept is nothing new, and honestly could/should be something to celebrate if done appropriately.. I recall a Clemson tradition regarding wearing "Orange Britches" for big games, resulting in monochrome orange - but limited to only 1 or 2 home games per year (both acceptable and appropriate in my opinion). My high school very was similar in this regard. Each year we would wear our green pants for our biggest home game, resulting in monochrome kelly green.. it would only be once per year and against whichever big rival we played at home.. also, our nickname is the Green Wave, so it was arguably even more appropriate.. but we would wear our (athletic) gold pants (or occasionally white pants - depending on the uniform options of a given season) for all other home games, while green pants were reserved as our primary road pants (often going all-white for a single road rivalry game if white pants were an option)..

The problem, in my opinion, is the proliferation of numerous jerseys and pants, resulting in a ridiculous number of combinations - along with the desire to mix-and-match so often - which leads to at least a few absolute duds, diluting of identity and brand, and more possibilities for not-the-team's-best-look to become someone's favorite look.

If more teams embraced some form of tradition and/or consistency, and only deviated a couple times per year, we would still be able to enjoy the occasional alternate in all its glory, without having to compromise quality identities and primary looks.

I'm willing to intertain the idea of a dark monochrome baseball uniform because in my perfect world, all baseball uniforms have matching jerseys and pants.  I strongly dislike the softball uniform asthetic that's become so prevalent this days. I'm beyond tired of seeing navy blue jerseys over white or gray pants. And while I think monochrome red, purple, or orange would be hard to look at, the idea of an all black, navy,  or a dark gray is intriguing.  I'd like to see someone try it, and I think it's only a matter of time before someone does.

Football uniforms need contrast between the shirt and pants.... Baseball uniforms do not.

10 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Oh and if all white is so great why were so many people on here complaining about the Players Weekend uniforms this year?

Because those uniforms had white numbers on white jerseys.

Absolutely no one had a problem with white jerseys being worn with white pants.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I find it funny monochrome in football can really upset people, but monochrome in basketball is the norm. But, when teams do mismatch top in bottom in basketball it's usually universally hated, at least it seems to be. Baseball can be either and get away with it depending on the colors.

Not calling anyone out, I just find it funny. It's all arbitrary opinions that people like us only care about.

7 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

I find it funny monochrome in football can really upset people, but monochrome in basketball is the norm. But, when teams do mismatch top in bottom in basketball it's usually universally hated, at least it seems to be. Baseball can be either and get away with it depending on the colors.

Not calling anyone out, I just find it funny. It's all arbitrary opinions that people like us only care about.

different sports have different aesthetics.

Archived