San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

one might argue that the team themselves is Miller branded, so anything at Miller Park is technically team specific but YMMV. 

I hate the current set, but that criticism has always seemed silly to me. 

The Miller logos are better

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/10/2019 at 11:43 PM, plobrien said:

What happens with Petco Park? Obviously they wont replace the blue seats those are probably fine the way they are, but there's a lot of blue everywhere else in the stadium. Do you keep the outfield wall and batters eye blue or change to brown? Would be kind of weird to switch to brown and yellow but your stadium still be full of blue. I always liked the blue and sand color scheme because it matched the park so well.

The seats at PNC Park are blue I believe....its not perfect but it could be worse.

13 hours ago, NicDB said:

This may sound counter-intuitive from someone who cares enough about sports branding to part of a forum like this, but I honestly find the lack of team-specific branding at Miller Park refreshing. I've always liked that about Lambeau Field too.

On a somewhat similar note, I feel the same way about wearing jerseys to sporting events. I wish it was more normal to just dress like a regular guy to go to a game. Its like people dont think you’re a fan unless you wear one but I think they’re kinda trashy. Maybe trashy is the wrong word but I hate wearing them.

6 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

On a somewhat similar note, I feel the same way about wearing jerseys to sporting events. I wish it was more normal to just dress like a regular guy to go to a game. Its like people dont think you’re a fan unless you wear one but I think they’re kinda trashy. Maybe trashy is the wrong word but I hate wearing them.

I can see that. I only wear baseball jerseys because they look more like casual wear than jerseys from other sports.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I get envious when I see pictures of dressed up crowds at midcentury games. But that horse left the barn a long time ago. 

5 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I can see that. I only wear baseball jerseys because they look more like casual wear than jerseys from other sports.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I get envious when I see pictures of dressed up crowds at midcentury games. But that horse left the barn a long time ago. 

Yeah, even far back as the 70s the upper deck at the Vet was just a sea of shirtless dudes beating the piss out of each other

On 3/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, AstroBull21 said:

The seats at PNC Park are blue I believe....its not perfect but it could be worse.

Image result for PNC Park

It's no issue at all, to me. What else could they be? Green? The blue looks like it does in all these MLB uniforms with the color- boring and safe.

27 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's real hard to have differently colored seats that aren't gonna just be overly bright and gaudy. I'm cool with the purposely dull greens and blues that most ballparks have. You also don't want them to stand out when the seats aren't filled in either.

I think the best way to do colored seats is how Daytona International Speedway does it:

af2ljDR.jpg

From a distance, it looks like the entire grandstands are full, even if no one’s there, because of the seats all being different colors. I could see a team like the Padres doing this, but in brown-yellow-white-grey-navy (to cover most colors Padres fans would wear). If the Rays didn’t have all-navy seats, but instead specks of white, grey, and light blue, their games probably won’t look as empty.

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I think the best way to do colored seats is how Daytona International Speedway does it:

af2ljDR.jpg

From a distance, it looks like the entire grandstands are full, even if no one’s there, because of the seats all being different colors. I could see a team like the Padres doing this, but in brown-yellow-white-grey-navy (to cover most colors Padres fans would wear). If the Rays didn’t have all-navy seats, but instead specks of white, grey, and light blue, their games probably won’t look as empty.

And perfect for the red, navy, brown, yellow, orange, sand, light blue Padres brand history. 

6 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

af2ljDR.jpg

The same thing was done at the old Met Center.

MhLwuru.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I feel like Metlife Stadium has a good setup with a darker color.

met_life_stadium_copy.jpg?itok=FBg8CGGH&

Ick. Its gray drabness is bad for football (albeit necessary in a stadium that hosts two teams) and would play even worse for baseball.

57 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Ick. Its gray drabness is bad for football (albeit necessary in a stadium that hosts two teams) and would play even worse for baseball.

I guess i meant it more as they take a shade and go variations of that shade rather than the Daytona route of a bunch my various colors.

18 hours ago, LMU said:

The same thing was done at the old Met Center.

MhLwuru.jpg

Superdome, too. When it was was completed in 1975, the interior designers went so far as to not only alternate seat colors, but also include seat colors with designs (stripes):

DSCN0140_medium.JPG

The resulting "patchwork" effect made it difficult to determine (from standard-distance TV shots at least) how relatively full or empty the stadium was for any event (such as Tulane football games):

BYU_54__Tulane_3__Louisia-Louisiana_Superdome-3000000041168-500x375.jpg

Perhaps the designers had the Saints and Tulane's perennially bad records in mind (and foresaw their upcoming futility as well) in laying out the seat design as such.

Of course, with recent renovations, the two lower levels' upholstered seats are now either black or gold, while the upper-most level's seats remain harder plastic and shades of gray.

It is what it is.

• 2 months later...

Brown uniforms coming in fall  

Padres’ return to brown will be unveiled after World Series

MAY 30, 2019

2:53 PM

The moment for which so many Padres fans have been waiting could come as soon as a few days after the conclusion of this year’s World Series.

Sure, a parade could be held downtown.

But far more certain is that the world this fall will see the uniforms the Padres plan to be wearing when they win their first championship.

The team’s chief marketing officer said Thursday the Padres will unveil their new brown and gold ensemble as early as November.

The “rich brown and vibrant gold” color scheme and the font for the numbers and letters have been finalized. The specifics were submitted to Major League Baseball and Nike earlier this month.

That essentially brings to the finish line a process that began more than two years ago.

The decision to return to the color combination the Padres wore from their inception in 1969 through 1984 came after two rounds of surveys and two rounds of dial research groups indicated it was the preference of the largest segment of Padres fans.

“I think it’s going to be a look and feel that San Diego can be proud of,” Wayne Partello said. “It’s an answer to what we heard.”

The Padres want to guard as many details as they can until the unveiling. But they did allow the Union-Tribune to witness some of their research groups. At that time, fans involved seemed to favor a white home jersey that included pinstripes.

Partello said Thursday that the word mark for the “San Diego” on the team’s road jersey will be different than the current version. Those away uniforms are sand, not baseball’s traditional gray. However, the sand is based in a brown palette, which will make it unique from the sand color the Padres wore on the road from 04-10.

The Padres are doing “some fine tuning, some detail work,” such as determining design of outerwear and a subtle change to the “SD” logo.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Padres Executive Chairman Ron Fowler has vowed this will be the last uniform tweak for many years for a team that has had at least 10 significant jersey iterations (with several more tweaks) in its half-century of existence.

“The only consistency in our uniforms has been their inconsistency,” Partello said. “This moving forward is about consistency. This is about locking in on a look and feel that is consistent with what the fans and community wanted and moving forward with a look that is only us. The thing we heard is that the desire is for unique. This will be different.”

MLB does not allow for an announcement of this kind before the end of the World Series. The exact date of the reveal will depend on the schedule of some Padres players the team would like to participate in the event.

The new version will be for sale at the time of the announcement.

Archived