2019 NCAA Football Offseason Thread (formerly Targeting Thread)

pianoknight

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Florida State.

Florida State's football season ticket sales, which have been declining every year since 2014, have slid into a free fall this offseason and will cost the Seminoles' fiscally challenged athletics department several million dollars.

According to numbers obtained by Warchant.com through a public records request, FSU is in danger of selling less than 25,000 of a possible 40,000 "main bowl" season tickets for the 2019 season. (Those numbers do not include tickets sold in suites or the Champions Club -- although those numbers appear to be tracking downward as well.)

With most season tickets selling for $330 apiece, that's a reduction in revenue of well over $2 million. And that doesn't include the millions of dollars in lost booster contributions, which are required to purchase those tickets, as well as residual losses in concessions and other game-day sales.

What's not factored into any of these numbers, however, is the financial hit Seminole Boosters Inc., will take to its annual fund, which is largely dependent on season tickets sales. Most seats require an annual donation to Boosters of $100 to $500 -- and much more if a person hopes to buy several seats together.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty great...

Ex-Wazzu QB, No. 2 pick Leaf hired by ESPN

Ryan Leaf has really turned his life around, owned up to his earlier shortcomings, and has been willing to help others avoid similar trouble.  I like his appearances on the Dan Patrick show and think he'll be a great addition for ESPN. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Big XII rules on "Horns Down"...or have they?  Texas is so f'n petty!

If the "Horns Down" symbol is celebrated too long or directed at someone blatantly, that player will be called for a penalty.

"Like any play, there is a degree - who it's directed at," Big 12 coordinator of football officials Greg Burks said Tuesday at Big 12 media days, via ESPN. "If they do it in their bench area, we're not going to look at it. It would be like any other celebration foul, so it has to be like any other foul we have. Does it rise to the level we need to deal with that? It's a hot topic.

23 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Big XII rules on "Horns Down"...or have they?  Texas is so f'n petty!

So they'll treat it the same as if someone does the gator chomp or tomahawk chop? I've actually read that Herman doesn't care since if you're doing it you have Texas on the brain. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

And Jim Delany becomes "old man yelling at cloud", talking about old times meanwhile trying to maximize revenue off those same 18-23 year olds and accepted a salary of $3.1M and a $20M bonus in 2017.

Delany, who is in his 31st and final year as commissioner, said the loss of the four-year scholarship, the ending of the $15 weekly ''laundry'' stipend for athletes and allowing freshmen to play have all contributed to various headaches.

''I think that's really expedited everything and hasn't allowed for the full socialization, cultural and academic, for students,'' he said. ''I raised that issue about five years ago, and to be honest with you, there was not much of a reaction. It was more of a thud. So I would say some of those areas are issues that have concerned me.''

Source: https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-st-michigan-st-place-2-big-ten-155948463--ncaaf.html

On June 6, Mercury News' NCAA writer Jon Wilner proposed that the Pac-12 start having 9AM PT kickoffs (paywall)

It seems that the conference is talking to FOX about making this happen.

LOS ANGELES — Pac-12 After Dark has turned into a cult following in recent years late on Saturday nights during the football season but that could change in a big way on the sun dial for fans based on early conversations the league has had with its television partners.

The conference confirmed they have had preliminary discussions with Fox about having a Pac-12 game kickoff at 9 a.m. PT/noon ET as soon as this season in order to help alleviate night kickoffs and explore a new TV window to maximize exposure on the East Coast. While there would be at most one or two games after Week 3 that would even be eligible (and Mountain Time Zone schools like Utah and Colorado would be chief candidates), it certainly sounds like there’s a real possibility of it happening.

“We’ve discussed it recently. That would be new and out of the box for our conference but I’ve tried to put everything on the table. There’s a lot of frustration from fans in certain markets to the late night kicks,” commissioner Larry Scott told NBC Sports. “I’d like to see one or two games this season that are 12 noon (ET) kicks be Pac-12 games and see what markets might respond positively to that.”

Colorado's Mel Tucker:

“I know that’s part of the plan. We’re talking about that. But for me as a coach, I just want to play ball. Put the ball down and let’s go play. So whatever the schedule is, the timing, the kickoff time, the opponent, it’s really not an issue for me. I just need to know when we’re going to kick off, and then I’ve got to get my guys ready to go.”

Utah's Kyle Whittingham:

“As great as our atmosphere is at Rice-Eccles in a night game, as electric as it is, it’s tough to sit around all day. I’m not saying play one every week but we wouldn’t mind playing at 10 a.m. once or twice a season.”

Chip Kelly:

“When you wake up — if you’re a college football player or coach, you want to wake up and you want to play football. The hardest thing with Saturdays is when you wake up and then you’ve got to wait until 7:00 at night. If they want us to play at 9:00, we’ll play at 9:00; if they want us to play at 7:00 at night, we’ll play at 7:00 at night. Want us to play at 6:00 in the morning, we’ll play at 6:00 in the morning. That part, that’s — we always talk about control the controllables, and we don’t have the control over kickoffs. So they tell us when to play, we’ll play. But we practice in the morning, so we’re morning people. We’d love to do things in the morning. I don’t know if our fans would, but again, I don’t have a vote, so I don’t care. Just tell us when we’re kicking.”

Source

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

On June 6, Mercury News' NCAA writer Jon Wilner proposed that the Pac-12 start having 9AM PT kickoffs (paywall)

It seems that the conference is talking to FOX about making this happen.

Colorado's Mel Tucker:

Utah's Kyle Whittingham:

Chip Kelly:

Source

People are complaining about 11 AM kickoffs for ACC/SEC/Big Ten games, I can see how well this will go over! 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, dfwabel said:

All of this just to go 9-3 and get beat by Alabama by three scores.

Oh, and the players still can't get paid.  SMDH

And students don't do research at the library, it is all digital now...

1. The new athletic facilities are being paid for by outside donations, most notably $1 million each by former Tigers Tyrann Mathieu and Patrick Peterson (Mathieu created a scholarship fund as well).  Public (tax) money is NOT involved.

2. Per the LSU campus master plan, the current main library is to be demolished and replaced with a new facility

3. The LSU Athletic Department transfers-- annually-- $7.2 million to the academic fund.  In some years of higher revenues, they have transferred more.

It is what it is.

I just don’t see Arizona State or Arizona playing games at 9am on Saturday’s during September and October, at least not in the state of Arizona. The temperature at that time is already at 96-100 degrees. That would be a travesty. Especially for some of the players that wouldn’t be used to the heat.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:31 PM, B-Rich said:

Whoops, not anymore.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-Athletic-Department-revenue-sharing-university-Scott-Woodward-134012702/

After catching some flack over LSU Football's new $28 million Football Ops Building, LSU director of athletics Scott Woodward told Tiger Rag on Mondaythat the athletic department will end its fund-transfer policy with the university that began under former director of athletics Joe Alleva. Between 2012-17, the athletic department contributed nearly $50 million to the academic side of the university.

IUe6Hvh.png

4 hours ago, See Red said:

😂 It's for their own good!

"“It’s something that’s very dangerous, when universities rely on recurring money, especially from an auxiliary like the athletic department,” Woodward told Tiger Rag's Tyler Nunez."

Preseason Coaches Poll released.

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas
11. Texas A&M
12. Washington
13. Oregon
14. Penn State
15. Utah
16. Auburn
17. UCF
18. Wisconsin
19. Iowa
20. Michigan State
21. Washington State
22. Syracuse
23. Stanford
24. Iowa State
25. Northwestern

Others:Nebraska 152; Boise State 118; Mississippi State 111; Miami 94; Army 91; Kentucky 79; Virginia Tech 64; Texas Christian 63; Southern California 47; Utah State 32; Fresno State 32; Virginia 30; Cincinnati 25; West Virginia 24; Memphis 24; Oklahoma State 20; South Carolina 15; NC State 12; Duke 10; Boston College 5; Florida State 4; Baylor 4; Appalachian State 4; North Texas 3; Houston 3; UCLA 2; Temple 2; Arizona State 2; Troy 1; Tennessee 1; Mississippi 1; Minnesota 1.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/amway-coaches-poll/2019-2020/2019-08-01/

Ohio State made a Friday media dump with emails and texts to/from Urban Meyer during the Zach Smith investigation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/08/02/urban-meyer-texts-alabama-offered-ex-osu-zach-smith-job/1904854001/

USA Today has a serious adblocker, so if you cannot read that, here is Yahoo

https://sports.yahoo.com/in-newlyreleased-texts-urban-meyer-claimed-he-persuaded-zach-smith-to-not-take-job-at-alabama-212345224.html

A large batch of text messages released Friday afternoon relating to Ohio State’s 2018 investigation into Smith’s firing, and the way it was handled by now-former Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer and others at the university, includes messages from Meyer about a potential job opportunity Smith had 19 months ago.

“After much thought, I want u to stay,” Meyer texted Smith on Jan. 18, 2018. “I have personally invested far too much in u to get u in position to take the next step. U need to step away from other situation and let’s go win it all … again.”

Three days later in a text to a redacted recipient, Meyer said that Mike Vrabel had offered Ryan Day a job with the Tennessee Titans and said that Smith, the team’s recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach, had been offered an offensive assistant job at Alabama.

“Zach smith was offered wr/passing game Coord. At Alabama,” Meyer said in the text. “Went there to talk to Saban. At first thought maybe he should go then decided that all effort I’ve put u to him and it’s Alabama. I told him to stay and he turned it down.”

Another text message from Meyer says that he wanted it leaked that multiple Ohio State assistants had turned down jobs at Alabama.

Smith was fired in July of 2018 after his wife obtained a protection order against him. His firing also came after multiple allegations of domestic violence emerged publicly, including one from 2015 that Meyer claimed he didn’t know about at Big Ten media days.

Meyer also said that he didn’t know “who creates a story like that” about a 2015 domestic violence investigation involving the Smiths. As we know now as well, Meyer wasn’t entirely truthful that day.

He said what was reported in 2009 about an alleged domestic violence incident “wasn’t actually what happened” and a 2015 alleged incident does not exist.

“I don’t know who creates a story like that." pic.twitter.com/22RcIPnhUB

— Yahoo Sports College Football (@YahooSportsCFB) July 24, 2018

Meyer was placed on administrative leave on Aug. 1 as an investigation began and suspended for the first three games of the season later that month. He retired from coaching at the end of the season and was replaced at Ohio State by offensive coordinator Day, the man who is now Ohio State’s head coach.

Shelley Meyer: ‘Afraid [Smith] will do something dangerous’

A text message from Meyer’s wife Shelley on the day that Smith was fired revealed that Shelley Meyer was fearful of Smith’s reaction.

“2 things … U can always use [athletic director Gene Smith] as part of reason for not giving the receiver position too. And … I am worried about Zach’s response. He drinks a lot and I am just not sure how stable he will be. Afraid he will do something dangerous. It’s obvious he has anger/rage issues already. Wonder if/when u do make a move you should call Mikki after and tell her to check on him? Not Lynn.”

Will this keep him from taking the USC gig if Clay Helton only wins 7 games????

Who am I kidding?  USC is as soulless a school as Baylor is, but USC administrators were committing the sexual assaults and gentrifying that part of south of downtown LA is a greater impact than what Chip and Joanna Gains do.. Their brand new Chancellor took the gig in July can came from Chapel Hill and she oversaw the fight against the NCAA over the fake classes and major. 

Archived