2020 Election Logos/Branding Thread

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, kroywen said:

Yeesh, that's awfully similar in terms of typeface to Elizabeth Warren's logo. I'm sure they were developed without knowledge of each other's logos/typeface, but damn, that's terribly close.

The idea is to grab your attention while driving down the road so the similar aren't too much of a surprise. I like that some candidates are going with their own color schemes instead of the traditional RWB. It helps them stand out more. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Kamala Harris’s Logo Is a Disaster. Here’s Why.

I agree with most of this, especially how good the AOC poster was and how revolutionary and game-changing the Obama logo was. I disagree that Hillary's logo was "passable" when it was actually awful. It was a red arrow pointing to the right. That and "I'm with Her" instead of "She's with Us" were pharmaceutical-grade-pure semiotic failures.

Whether this is an argument for or against, who can say, but I laughed. I'd vote for Kimmy Schmidt, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/26/2019 at 3:33 AM, zigbazah said:

I'm getting a real Texas flag vibe from Pete's website, which is a bit odd for someone from Indiana. 

20190126-022938.png

Why tf is "mayor" capitalized?

I disagree that Hillary's logo was "passable" when it was actually awful. It was a red arrow pointing to the right. That and "I'm with Her" instead of "She's with Us" were pharmaceutical-grade-pure semiotic failures.

Hello,

This is everyone's periodic reminder that Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign slogan was never "I'm with her." In the primary, it was "Fighting for us" and in the general it was "Stronger together." "I'm with her" was a supporter-created slogan that the campaign only used in certain contexts (like fundraising off of loyal supporters).

Also, the logo and and branding were good. Nobody thought Hillary Clinton was a Republican/conservative because the arrow was red or pointing right. That criticism has always struck me as totally disingenuous. 

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Yes, you're right, the idea that voters served their candidate rather than the other way around had nothing to do with her campaign, except for when it did. Thanks for Correcting The Record.

43 minutes ago, the admiral said:

To me, it feels like Deadspin's "Why Your Team Sucks" without the self-awareness. Personally, the burnt orange, brown, and avocado are what I think of as 70s colors by a wide margin (I say this as someone born in 1984). Even if we accept the premise that they're 70s colors, you'd have to be 55-60 before you have many meaningful memories of the 70s, and surely some people had a good time in the 70s? Just come up with reasons to hate everyone's logo... only one person wins, and then you can post-mortem the whole thing with smug satisfaction. I think a few are objectively good, a few are objectively bad, and most are good or bad depending on whether or not the candidate wins.

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

Why tf is "mayor" capitalized?

If he's in that position it would be capitalized, just like for governor or president. Though to be fair it looks out of place if his name isn't following it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Just come up with reasons to hate everyone's logo... only one person wins, and then you can post-mortem the whole thing with smug satisfaction. I think a few are objectively good, a few are objectively bad, and most are good or bad depending on whether or not the candidate wins.

Whose stuff looks good to you so far? Like I said, I dig the understated New Deal-era aesthetics of Warren's logo. I feel like she's ready to welcome some hatred.

I was refashioning a famous FDR quote in service of the New Deal aesthetics. Some may argue that I support Elizabeth Warren but I was just trying to be clever.

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yes, you're right, the idea that voters served their candidate rather than the other way around had nothing to do with her campaign, except for when it did. Thanks for Correcting The Record.

Was it stupid to tacitly adopt it? Yes. Would anybody cared if another candidate had? I’d point you to

the Obama HOPE poster. You’re ultimately right, I just have very complicated feelings about it I won’t share here :)

potd 10/20/12

12 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If he's in that position it would be capitalized, just like for governor or president. Though to be fair it looks out of place if his name isn't following it. 

It wouldn’t be capitalized. You only capitalize any of those terms when it’s part of the person’s name. Like “ in 2015, Barack Obama was the president” and “In 2015, President Barack Obama was in his second term.”

potd 10/20/12

Archived