Raysox's Curling Mega Thread - US Brier & Pro Tour

raysox

Guest darkpiranha

Ohio seems like they could also double as backup pants for Evel Knievel.   And at some point I expect a uniform set that's inspired by the Silver Platters, since curling uniforms seem only a half-step away from that aesthetic.

Again, sweetness.

Oregon: Love the plaid pullover

Maryland: Holy mother of pants, but in a good way.

Maine: Love the lighthouse on the shirts, plus the lobster on the pullover is a great touch.

Connecticut: Simple perfection.

And yes, please do a megathread.

spacer.png

Oh boy you asked for it. So, I always have plans to make Behance project to expand my portfolio. For one, I love the creative outlet. Also once I complete something it puts my mind at ease. A few years ago I got into the World Darts Championship. The game of darts is good, but the crowd is LOUD and ENERGETIC and DRUNK. It sounds like such a fun party and adds a great atmosphere for such a simple game.

Then I tweeted this without much of a background, just sort of threw it out there.

Curling has an unwritten rule of sportsmanship and silence. Crowds quietly drink beer and cheer when there's good shots and that's sort of it. I think atmosphere adds more to a sport than the actual game at time. It's why I don't watch lacrosse on TV, since it feels like pro lacrosse and the high school lacrosse i played are happening at the same park.

Curling takes a lot of concentration and communication by the skips and their team on when to brush and stuff. But it feels like a rule that was started and it hasn't changed because no one ever wanted to change? Pitchers pinpoint pitches with 40,000 fans, and Quarterbacks can run an offense in a hostile road environment. I read an article from the last Olympics about the Korean crowd cheering, and this quote stood out.

“I think you could run a train next to me,” Edin said, “and I wouldn’t hear it when I’m throwing it.”

So why not spice things up a little bit? Sorry to any curling elitists, but this was the genesis of all of the work you'll see below. Here's the logo i made when I tweeted that above.

Curling-01.png

I put it down until recently, which is where I started. I have tons of spreadsheets where I plan concepts and larger projects out. I guess that's what I get for being a sport management major and a graphic designer.

So I imagine the WLC being all about the fan experience. One thing curling doesn't have in it's favor is the ice being extremely manicured. You couldn't do back to back to back games on the same sheet like you could with a college basketball tournament. From what I've seen, most events have a long round robin with a small 4 team tournament to end the week. My plan is four groups of 4 playing three round robin games on a thursday-friday-saturday. The group winners move to a 4 team tournament with semi-finals at 4, then the finals at the center ice at 8. Once that's done, the winning team qualifies for the playoff tournament I'm calling the Curling Grand Prix(which I'll introduce later)

This was a quick layout of what I'm thinking for a tournament. My ideas had changed slightly since then, but I'm imagining 3 sheets with a humongous bar running the length of the sheet. That's the prime seats. There would hypothetically be a low stage or open space on the left side for introductions and camera work. There could be enough space where the center sheet could have one of those robot on track camera to have low moving shots of throws. The center sheet would have the more premier match-ups, thus selling more expensive ad space than the two outside ones. I think humidity from the bar may be an issue in this format, but it's something I love thinking about. PLUS you could sell the ad space to some cheap beer company!

Curling-Sheet-01.png

I laid out a couple of mid-level arenas in bigger curling markets that could host a curling event. I made these with some color palettes to stand out on black.

Bonspiels-02.png

Edin.jpg

Sheets-Sponsors.png

But the more I had these, the more I resented it. The crests felt templated, and the colors didn't represent anything. They read WLC Bonspiel Madison, versus Madison Bonspiel. Also there was no clean way to introduce a sponsor. The font wasn't dynamic enough either. I had a breakdown and it lead to me starting this US State Brier. Nothing was sticking and I had more trouble doing a cohesive brand than anything ever.

I was playing around with a bonspiel concept and made this accidentally. I thought "heh, this looks like a sportswear brand"

Bonspiel-02.png

But the more i looked at it, the more I thought this is already a better brand than I could intentionally create.

Welcome to raysox's Bonspiel.

EDIT

Since I double posted by accident, I'll just continue here.

In the logo exploration for a new brand executon, I thought I needed a font to use throughout. I was downloading a bunch of Adobe font families that had weights and widths. Titling Gothic FB was the font that worked the best, and I only realized it when I did the Bonspiel logo. Black and white somehow stands out more to me than the bombardment of colors I had used. Hell, I don't even think the colored stones is a idea I'd use any more. Here's some updates to the stuff I did.

Social-Edin.jpg

Score.jpg

Sheets-Sponsors.jpg

Nothing is final, but I wanted to share this hoping to get some feedback halfway through. I have a lot of stuff I want to do, but overall I'd like to brand curling better is my main objective.

Especially since, you know...

I love that Maine lighthouse uniform! The lobster is a fun idea, too. That's such an awesome set!

Maybe I'd try to incorporate the flag onto Maryland's shirt... The pants and shirt just feel really disconnected.

I like that plaid jacket for Oregon.

That WLC logo is very clean. Well done, and it looks great in the stone colors.

As for the Bonspiel regional logos, they look pretty good, and I like that wordmark better than the CORPORATE sans-serif that's becoming kinda trite nowadays.

All the others have cities, so why "Rocky Mountains" and not "Colorado Springs" or something?

Also, I agree, that real logo is kinda iffy...

Good work!

So i think I let it sit  long enough. Here's some more stuff I did for Bonspiel. 

Scorebug.jpg

The event logos were killing me because nothing I did fit the simplified black and white brand quite like I liked. Then I created these.

Event-Logos.jpg

I also have the Grand Prix update I'm holding on to, but I feel like 6 tournaments that aren't anything other than a regular season could get away with simple templated logos. Plus, adding "Presented by Coors Light" underneath would add a bit of flexibility.

In addition to those, I was thinking that just putting "Team Fenson" only does so much in building recognition. Since technically teams will be competing, I created some branding logos for the teams I could find enough information for. Ideally every team would have rights to the logo mad for them for merchandising reasons. Since only one mark would be created, it wouldn't be necessarily difficult to create. Here's logos for Team Shuster(the defending Olympic gold medalists), Team Edin(Swedish, has a Viking on their uniform), Team Mouat(Based out of Edinburgh), and Team Carruthers(from Manitoba)

all.png

Someone liked it when I tweeted these too!

Shuster-Fav.png

On 1/21/2019 at 3:51 PM, raysox said:

The states in this tier include:

Idaho

Indiana

California

Arizona

Vermont

New Jersey

Iowa

Pennsylvania

Bumping for ideas for these states(also comment on the other stuff I posted above.)

arizona’s one curling club is very flag heavy and the pics of the teams I’ve seen has the flag design so let’s avoid that.

Indiana I’m thinking Checkeds obviously. Maybe a Hoosiers themed one.

Pennsylvania i don’t want to do just Pittsburgh colors but I’ve thought about a huge keystone design on the jacket.

iowa I have no clue but thought of Real Salt Lake colors.

54 minutes ago, raysox said:

Bumping for ideas for these states(also comment on the other stuff I posted above.)

arizona’s one curling club is very flag heavy and the pics of the teams I’ve seen has the flag design so let’s avoid that.

Pennsylvania i don’t want to do just Pittsburgh colors but I’ve thought about a huge keystone design on the jacket.

For Indiana blue and yellow would be a good scheme obviously because of the flag, and the flag itself could lead to some interesting sublimation. Blue and yellow checkered pants would be interesting, or doing something related to corn in some way.

Not really sure, just spitballing here.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, raysox said:

For AZ, don’t run with the state flag thing. It’s so overused, and there are so many other paths of inspiration for the state. I’d run with old D-backs colors, purple teal and copper are very recognizable and unique for AZ. Maybe do something Hopi/Navajo inspired, or something taken from the landscape (the mesas, sunsets, cacti and all that other cool stuff)

Love this series idea and everything you've done so far. State-wise Maine is my favourite uniform you did, the lighthouse and the colors work perfectly.

As for your bonspiel, really enjoy this idea and what you did so far, waiting to see more of it. The events logos look super clean and work really well with the identity. Great job

Raysox this is an AMAZING concept series. Being from Canada, we have hockey then curling with respect to winter sports. I am loving the branding of the Bonspiel series, love the simplistic colours and layout of the sheets. This is definitely going to be a good series to follow. 

As for your best State for the US Brier, it would have to be Maine's. That lighthouse technical top and lobster pullover is pure class. Keep it up. 

NpTodZP.png

• 2 months later...

RaySox, as a member of Long Island, NY's Nationals team, I want to tell you how much I love all of these.  I would love to see you incorporate our club tartan (I designed it, so feel free to give criticism/advice on them).  Even if you don't want to, I wanted to let you know that I love what you did and would definitely wear them on the ice.

https://imgur.com/sxlPKMt

https://imgur.com/11fpEvo

Good Curling,

Rob

On 1/21/2019 at 3:51 PM, raysox said:

Sorry for the delay folks!  @vtgco Illinois was inspired by me texting  my friend from Rockford and just pitching some ideas. I thought it'd be bold and striking since all the other teams have a decent amount of color. If you want a more concrete explanation, the Land of Lincoln and the White Sox.

Finally here's the last four teams in Tier 1! I tried to get a little crazy here to round off the group.

New-Hampshire-01.png

(The pewter colors are for the Granite State, with a crazy cartography pattern on illustrator)

Alaska-01.png

New-York-01.png

Ohio-01.png

(there's 6 curling clubs in Ohio)

So that's Tier 1, the best and brightest in the country. Tier 2 is a mid range of states with a decent number of tournaments and clubs. The best two teams would be promoted to Tier 1.

The states in this tier include:

Maryland

Idaho

Connecticut

Indiana

California

Arizona

Vermont

Maine

New Jersey

Iowa

Oregon

Pennsylvania

open to suggestions for these! I’ve thought of a few, but will take all the help I can get

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 8:16 AM, raysox said:

So i think I let it sit  long enough. Here's some more stuff I did for Bonspiel. 

Wow this was SO long ago.

So much has changed since then, and it drove me crazy.

But here's my final project with all the Bonspiel goods.
https://www.behance.net/gallery/76018373/Bonspiel-Curling

Archived