XFL Revisited - Official Cities

LeeTraylor

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/15/2019 at 2:30 PM, darkpiranha said:

I'm not feeling the Sharks logo yet.  I don't know what that thing is supposed to be on top.  Is that a Nike swoosh the shark is swimming through?  The shark logo itself looks okay when it's just over white, but when it has the black outline around it, it looks really flat and blobby.  The dark areas of the shark are supposed to represent shadow, but when placed next to something that is shadow-colored (black), it turns it into feeling like that's just the colors/patterns of the shark's skin, in this case, teal and white splotches.  

I'm not certain that's correct.. a shark's coloring is sort of a predatory camouflage.. they're darker on top (where the light is actually hitting them) so that they aren't noticed by fish above them - and they sort of blend into the shadowy abyss of the deep.. their ventral side is light colored, although it's technically the part in the "shadow".. this is so they blend with the lighter waters/sky up above when seen from below.. the coloring appears to be pretty accurate imo..

Guest darkpiranha

Be that as it may, the blotchy one-color shading isn't resulting in the effect I think you're going for. You're using (I'm assuming) an actual recolored shark graphic or used a shark photo as reference, where the blotches all better conformed to shadows or natural shark coloration.  I'd research some other fish/shark/dolphin logos to see how they handled shading, and how it worked with dark or light outlines.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, darkpiranha said:

I'm not feeling the Sharks logo yet.  I don't know what that thing is supposed to be on top.  Is that a Nike swoosh the shark is swimming through?  The shark logo itself looks okay when it's just over white, but when it has the black outline around it, it looks really flat and blobby.  The dark areas of the shark are supposed to represent shadow, but when placed next to something that is shadow-colored (black), it turns it into feeling like that's just the colors/patterns of the shark's skin, in this case, teal and white splotches.  

I agree with you that the logo has some issues - I'm not completely sold on it, either.

The swoosh at the top is meant to be where its fin is breaking the surface of the water. As for the coloring, I used the images below as references. I agree that it doesn't work as well on a dark background.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 10:12 PM, Meshmaster101 said:

I feel like Seattle's and St Louis's color schemes are a little too similar.

This very well may be the case. I might have to revisit one of them or come up with some alternatives for each franchise. 

Archived