Atlanta Braves Tweak Road and Alternate Uniforms for 2019

SportsLogos.Net News

Braves to Show Off “Refreshed” Uniforms This Weekend

January 14, 2019 - 17:40 PM

The Atlanta Braves will have a new look when they take the field later this year, and it goes beyond the addition of a couple of former All-Stars. As part of their Chop Fest fan event this Saturday, the Braves […]

Read More...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

“Refresh,” to me, is things like cleaning up piping, updating their drab blue alternate and/or updating the wordmark or font, not dropping one of their signature uniform elements. May just be wishful thinking, though.

None of those things warrant an announcement or unveiling.  My first thought was also dropping the tomahawk.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it’s noteworthy these uniform changes are being unveiled at an annual event that would take place regardless. They’re just a footnote of the event, and that — combined with the words “refresh” and “update” — suggests to me the changes aren’t significant, but rather minor tweaks and fixing various inconsistencies throughout the uniform set. 

The only changes I could live with :

- Red brim hats with the gray jerseys

- Red script and numbers on the navy alts

- Return of the original red alt (not a fan but I know they were somewhat popular and this is better than messing with the classic white and gray sets) if it means getting rid of the cream and/or navy alts

Otherwise I'll certainly be pissed

This isn’t happening and it probably shouldn’t ever happen given the team’s history, but I’m sort of intrigued by the idea of the Braves becoming a black and red team to match the Falcons and Atlanta United FC instead of being another blue and red team in a league full of them. The only other teams with that combination are the Reds (who are obviously heavy on red) and the Diamondbacks (who I view as a predominately red team and have sand-colored accents and should place more emphasis on teal). But that’s a conversation for another time or a concept idea, I presume.

I doubt the Tomahawk is going anywhere. As some of the previous posters have said, the even it called Chop Fest, and the Tomahawk Chop has never been more of an emphasis. Last season, at least in my experience at STP, the phrase “Chop On” is being heavily emphasized, even forced, through promos and videos on the big screen as what I can only describe as Atlanta’s version of Alabama’s “Roll Tide.”

As far as the uniform “refresh” goes, there are 5 players set to debut them. I’m guessing that’s 5 combinations. 

White Home - Likely unchanged, as all colors and wordmarks were refreshed last season. The only changes I could really see happening here are:

1. Eliminate the double Outline around the Tomahawk so that it more consistently matches the script. I know this overhauls the logo, but not significantly.

2. Either make the NOB Red with Navy Outline to match the rest of the top, or eliminate it.

Grey Road - I don’t think we see any change here, unless they go the way of updating the Tomahawk Outline as I described above, if so you see it in all of the uniforms. Possibility they drop the all Navy hat and just go with the Home cap for all uniforms. Personally hoping we bring back the Tomahawk A hat in place of the all Navy, more on that later.

Navy Alternate - Biggest overhaul or gets dropped in favor of a new alternate altogether I think. Replaced the Navy with White Outline to Red with White Outline.

Cream Uniform OR Red Alternate - I say 50/50 on if it stays or not. Personally, I think/hope it’s dropped in favor of the early 2000s Red Top (NOT the version with the stars inside the script, but the original) that is an invert is the White Top, and they bring back the alternate hat with the Red Tomahawk A.

New/Refreshed Throwback OR Red Alternate (if Cream sticks around) - As far as the possibility of a throwback, it’s likely the Hank Aaron version worn last year becomes a permanent Alternate, but don’t rule out the possibility of one of the Dale Murphy era uniforms (either the Powder Blue or the White with Red/White/Blue striping).

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Someone help me out!

How are these posts allowed considering we have a ban on “Discussion of Native American Team Name Controversies”

Is this one even a controversy? Is Braves pejorative at all? Sounds more like a compliment...

There's a difference between discussing the aesthetics vs. the politics of a uniform. 

Pretty sure 99.99999% of the posts have been about the high-level aesthetics.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived