Los Angeles Rams Confirm Throwback Uniforms For Super Bowl

SportsLogos.Net News

On 1/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

In a vacuum, the Saints uniform isn't as terrible as, say, the Browns or Buccaneers, but it's especially infuriating if you consider how easy (and ridiculously obvious) it would be to give them a top 5 look. Match the golds. Put the helmet stripe on the pants. And burn those horrific black pants. 

The Saints look great when they stick with gold pants. The black pants are pretty terrible both with the monochrome and the white over black.

Would love for them to go to an updated throwback full time.

17 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

OT: I know food coloring doesn't determine flavor or taste, but those blue doughnuts are visually unappealing. Yuck!

I'm the opposite, I think because as a child I was enamored with the colorful frostings and foods from Hook.

aa4b9a1af84dbf54437fbe411350c167.jpg

I have two issues with the Rams throwback set, even though it's a gorgeous look without any changes:

1) Royal helmet.

2) Figure out the white. Having a white stripes on the pants when the helmet and jersey are both just color doesn't work for me. Because the white jersey is only white on the body and not any other element, I think it could work for both jerseys to simply make the white stripe on the pants yellow. But there are a few routes you could take to better balance it.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/31/2019 at 1:14 PM, Digby said:

Having two slightly different shades of blue as endzones is going to drive me nuts. A yellow LA endzone would be the ideal fix (though count me as someone who prefers the new art deco wordmark to the very 70s or the very 90s options) ... but why not a red Patriots endzone? I suppose red doesn't complement their jerseys well, even though it does with the logo and they sell a ton of red merch. Maybe the red merch died out when the Matt Patricia fan club had to move. Alas.

The pats really only sell red throwback gear, hardly anything for the current identity is sold as red.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, -Akronite- said:

Do we know for sure they wouldn't wear their gold pants, like last Super Bowl? If so, I see your point.

I'd take the Saints in all black over one of the Rams' Frankenstein sets. About a wash with the Pats though, especially if they were matched up with the Chiefs in white.

I assume so. They didn't wear the gold pants at home after the Buccaneers loss. The all black was the home uniform, including in the NFCCG.

8 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

The Saints look great when they stick with gold pants. The black pants are pretty terrible both with the monochrome and the white over black.

I disagree there. The Saints haven't had a great look for maybe 30 years, when the pants stripes last matched the helmet stripes. They have had mismatched golds since Reebok took over in 2002, when the pants looked closer to champagne colored. It was particularly apparent with the black jersey and gold numbers. Their SB win came in their best possible combo at the time, but they have looked terrible since Nike took over. They lightened the gold of the helmet to "match" the jerseys and pants, which were switched to a weird beige since Nike refused to make metallic fabrics anymore. Also a product of the Nike change, they have a really awkward number font. Instead of the bold varsity block they used before, Nike created this narrow font that is reminiscent of some of the fonts Nike used on college jerseys last decade. On the front, back and sides, the current numbers look weird and not wide enough. Basically, the whole set is a mess, and the only redeeming thing is that the new Nike template finally did away with the toilet seat collars. I agree with @oldschoolvikings that their unis could be great, but it's going to take a lot of doing.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

The Rams' sleeves bug me too much. I'll be okay with the new set going a different route. 

I wish they'd screen print the pattern instead of stitching it in. It would look so much better. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I never noticed it before, but it looked like there was a little extra yellow thread or fabric after the shoulder horns ended. Really bothered me.jared-goff.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=61

I’m fine with these as a throwback, but they’re too dated to be a primary. Hopefully these are updated tastefully for 2020. 

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I never noticed it before, but it looked like there was a little extra yellow thread or fabric after the shoulder horns ended. Really bothered me.jared-goff.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=61

I’m fine with these as a throwback, but they’re too dated to be a primary. Hopefully these are updated tastefully for 2020. 

Thats the problem though they will not be. I am sure there is going to be at least one element of this uniform that most people will say if they would have just done this different it would be a great set or even good

Have they said what they’re doing next year yet as far as if the navy jerseys and current whites are still in the rotation?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wish they'd screen print the pattern instead of stitching it in. It would look so much better. 

Screen printing requires flat surfaces (e.g. torso or back) and typically does not print all the way to the edge of fabric which would make for a horrible application. Sublimation might be a decent option for shoulder and sleeve decorations.

On 2/4/2019 at 5:37 AM, BJ Sands said:

If you look closely at any jersey where different colored panels of fabric butt against each other, you will always see this because they have to pick a thread color to sew the pieces together. Basicallly, it’s a “would you rather have blue thread winding along the entire edge of the gold horn, or would you rather a couple inches of gold thread stick out the end” type of situation. You can’t efficiently change the thread color in the middle of a line of stitching.

Everyone goes nuts at the mention of contrast stitching, but almost every jersey features contrast stitching somewhere, because most jerseys feature at least a few places where one color meets another. Here’s an example over stripes. If you zoom in, you can see the white stitching:

636367794721814681-USATSI-9783308.jpg?wi

Zoom into the player on the right and you can see they have the white stitching on one side, purple on the other, but the white stiching still has to come down and cross the purple “Jaws of Husky Stadium” spike.

usa_today_9640607.0.jpg

19 hours ago, guest23 said:

Screen printing requires flat surfaces (e.g. torso or back) and typically does not print all the way to the edge of fabric which would make for a horrible application. Sublimation might be a decent option for shoulder and sleeve decorations.

That’s only for printing on a garment that’s already constructed. Seam-to-seam printing is done before the fabric is cut, then it’s sewn together and voila; the print goes all the way to the edge. All sleeve stripes (Pittsburgh is definitely an exception, and I’m not sure if there are any others) are screen-printed and then sewn together in this manner.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Everyone goes nuts at the mention of contrast stitching, but almost every jersey features contrast stitching somewhere, because most jerseys feature at least a few places where one color meets another. Here’s an example over stripes. If you zoom in, you can see the white stitching:

636367794721814681-USATSI-9783308.jpg?wi

For just that reason, I don't mind contrast stitching. 

I mind contrast stitching as a deliberate stylistic element.

Archived