First Look: Super Bowl LIV Logo

1 hour ago, Primzahl said:

Can we get a mock up of that logo on Miami’s field on each side of the 100th Anniversary logo in the middle of the field? Based off the 75th Anniversary season, they had designed the SB29 field similarly.

32U8C0E.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the biggest issues I've seen with the recent templated logos, is the lack of coloring in the numerals themselves. There is color in the numeral shadow, but the majority of the logos are silver. The numerals just don't stick out enough. If the NFL wants to keep with some form of template for establishing a brand, then the trophy and the words "Super Bowl" should be enough. Even simply adding color to the numerals makes a big difference I think.

KTYfHYA.png

Just adding color to simple numerals can really make a difference. Recognizable as the Super Bowl logo, but with room to play with numerals and colors. Numerals can easily customized for the host city/region, and I think other elements related to the host city/region could easily be added around the trophy and numerals.

8 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

One of the biggest issues I've seen with the recent templated logos, is the lack of coloring in the numerals themselves. There is color in the numeral shadow, but the majority of the logos are silver. The numerals just don't stick out enough. If the NFL wants to keep with some form of template for establishing a brand, then the trophy and the words "Super Bowl" should be enough. Even simply adding color to the numerals makes a big difference I think.

KTYfHYA.png

Just adding color to simple numerals can really make a difference. Recognizable as the Super Bowl logo, but with room to play with numerals and colors. Numerals can easily customized for the host city/region, and I think other elements related to the host city/region could easily be added around the trophy and numerals.

The reason for that is probably because they want the Lombardi trophy to be the focal point of the logo, when you change the color of the numerals they instantly become the focal point instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I really miss the creative logos from back in the day!
I don't know, it's just bland - like the designers threw this together in 10 minutes and used a computer that had 7 total fonts on it.

it's about as boring as the game this past Sunday.  

sbliv.jpg

º º º º

gYFfCIp.pngPtJSay1.png

49 minutes ago, poser said:

Too bad there is nothing that resembles the "I" that they could have used to give it a little bit of character. 

They used a pylon for SB XLI, which was also in Miami.

I think it's a fine logo in the current system.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The placement of the Lombardi Trophy makes it read, "LAIV" to me.

S6WoPFq.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

If there's one good thing that can be said about the standardized logos, it's how good they look on the jerseys. The patches they've used are very high quality, and they are always shiny. I think this magnifies the "big game" feel, and it makes them stand out. As a patch, which looks better?

This: da9ddaedd4522f55d2ed05b6675f0523

Or this: superbowl_wreio8

I think LII is clearly superior. 

If it were up to me, I'd drop the roman numerals and just use the trophy as the patch (similar to what they used to do in the NBA Finals). I understand you'd lose the instant recognition of what Super Bowl it is, but there are many other clues that can lead you to the answer.

4 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

If it were up to me, I'd drop the roman numerals and just use the trophy as the patch (similar to what they used to do in the NBA Finals). I understand you'd lose the instant recognition of what Super Bowl it is, but there are many other clues that can lead you to the answer.

More importantly, you lose merchandise sales. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

More importantly, you lose merchandise sales. 

From Patriots fans, sure. Every team doesn't have six Super Bowl trophies and nine appearances this millennium, though. The Rams' jerseys still would have sold in the same manner as they did with LIII on them. And FWIW, I'm not talking about doing away with the roman numeral logo altogether. Just on the jerseys themselves. 

54 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

This is a pretty decent point with regards to merchandise. If I owned a Tom Brady SB LI jersey...would I buy a Tom Brady SB LIII jersey? Meh...probably not. I'd probably buy another player for a different SB.

Just having the Lombardi trophy on the jersey would sell the same way...people would likely buy different players for different SBs, if one team goes to multiple SBs.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

38 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

From Patriots fans, sure. Every team doesn't have six Super Bowl trophies and nine appearances this millennium, though. The Rams' jerseys still would have sold in the same manner as they did with LIII on them. And FWIW, I'm not talking about doing away with the roman numeral logo altogether. Just on the jerseys themselves. 

Fair, but if your idea lasted a while, we would have repeats. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Fair, but if your idea lasted a while, we would have repeats. 

It’s already pretty rare through 53 games, though. It happens once in a little more than a decade on average.

Steelers-Cowboys (same uniforms)

Bengals-49ers (flip home and away) 

Bills-Cowboys (same uniforms)

Patriots-Rams (the former wore white in one and blue in the other, while the latter wore two entirely different sets)

Patriots-Giants (same uniforms)

Throw in the high potential for rebrands, the 50/50 chance of a team being home or away in any given year and the idea rules for alternate uniforms in the playoffs one day may be relaxed, the likelihood of repeat uniform matchups goes down considerably.

5 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

It’s already pretty rare through 53 games, though. It happens once in a little more than a decade on average.

Steelers-Cowboys (same uniforms)

Bengals-49ers (flip home and away) 

Bills-Cowboys (same uniforms)

Patriots-Rams (the former wore white in one and blue in the other, while the latter wore two entirely different sets)

Patriots-Giants (same uniforms)

Throw in the high potential for rebrands, the 50/50 chance of a team being home or away in any given year and the idea rules for alternate uniforms in the playoffs one day may be relaxed, the likelihood of repeat uniform matchups goes down considerably.

You forgot the Dolphins(flipped white to color) and Redskins(new uniforms and white in later game). 

Different uniforms.

Archived