BJ Sands

MLB officially partners with Nike

It wasn't clear in the article if the swoosh would be on the front of the jersey or just replace Majestic's logo on the sleeve.

I'm assuming front, since that's what the UA deal was for.  That's worse than any other change that Nike could make.

1 minute ago, Kevin W. said:

Not all that crazy. Up until recently, Adidas/Reebok held the exclusive contracts for four of the five major leagues in North America.

Its a god thing Adidas didnt mess up the NHL with the 3 stripes 

7 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

Its a god thing Adidas didnt mess up the NHL with the 3 stripes 

Yeah, adidas has done great with the NHL...

This is not very majestic in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Yeah, adidas has done great with the NHL...

The NHL jersey have grown on me and even the collars.

5 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

The NHL jersey have grown on me and even the collars.

Yeah, if that collar is the biggest complaint... hockey fans have it good.

34 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Not all that crazy. Up until recently, Adidas/Reebok held the exclusive contracts for four of the five major leagues in North America.

Like it or not nike is literally the only supplier/licensee that can make these big 3 league wide deals work. Adidas tried and failed several times over to make the ventures profitable and they subsequently gave up. UA fell into the quintessential upstart trap assuming that sales and stock price would continue to rise indefinitely, locked themselves into bad ncaa deals, and are now facing a cash crunch which means they won't be making any big deals anytime soon. That leaves the swoosh as the buyer of last resort. The next option which I think we'll start to see are these fanatics style deals where a league partners with a vertically integrated maker/seller to produce their own branded merch.

2 hours ago, demondg1 said:

Not gonna lie, I kind of want them to resucue the NHL from the brutal Adidas collars.  But Nike might just replace them with Flywire and toilet lid collars.

seeing what happened with the 2018 olympics, i'm almost glad they didn't make a pass at the NHL. 

12 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

Can’t wait for the Diamond, League, Major, Town and Worthy of October “Editions”

You're joking but the idea also terrifies me.

I’m curious what will happen to my team (Atlanta) since we only just updated our uniforms last week. I’m hoping it will be a seamless transition with the only change being the swoosh. What I don’t want to see is yearly uniform changes like the NBA. I’m sure they’ll have one-offs like Majestic has done with Mother and Father’s Day, Independence Day, etc, but I don’t want to see the regular uniforms subjected to annual updates simply to push more merchandise.

I'm not too enthusiastic about this for several reasons, but as some have pointed out, MLB has already tainted the water of team branding with all of their shameless cash grabs. There are too many promotional "special event" caps and uniforms. BP and spring training gear seem to change on an almost yearly basis now. There's just no consistency anymore.

1 hour ago, Flames1fan said:

Does anyone know if New Era will be staying?

New Era for now, but it feels like the next mountain for Nike to climb. 

A few years ago, I would have been ok with that. Nike college baseball caps were really nice, but now everything has venting and looks horrible. 

2 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

New Era for now, but it feels like the next mountain for Nike to climb. 

A few years ago, I would have been ok with that. Nike college baseball caps were really nice, but now everything has venting and looks horrible. 

Since New Era would be relegated to caps still, like in the NFL, I think it can work. 

I am actually hoping that Nike could do something more innovative with sterile looking teams like the mariners.  maybe they can get the Mariners out the Navy rut and back into embracing more teal or maybe doing something completely new like more vibrant seahawk colors. Maybe Nike can do a good brown and yellow padres uniform. 

Looks like the Turn Ahead the Clock jerseys will be a thing for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It wasn't clear in the article if the swoosh would be on the front of the jersey or just replace Majestic's logo on the sleeve.

I'm assuming front, since that's what the UA deal was for.  That's worse than any other change that Nike could make.

It is assumed to be on the front.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25849955/nike-take-mlb-uniform-supplier-beginning-2020

22 minutes ago, Pengin. said:

Looks like the Turn Ahead the Clock jerseys will be a thing for the foreseeable future. 

The company who currently makes the MLB uniforms AND the Turn Ahead the Clock jerseys is losing the license to the company who did not make the Turn Ahead the Clock jerseys. Not sure I follow you, unless you are saying that the Nike designs will be outlandish like those were, which I seriously doubt.

Maybe Nike will give the Rockies a new look, which is much needed at this point.