Nike Officially Announced as MLB On-Field Uniform Provider

BJ Sands

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

5 years ago I would have been pumped.  But after seeing what has happened to uniforms in the NBA, and to a lesser extent the NFL, I'm concerned  there I said it

agreed. i know lukas always says, "these are multi-billion dollar brands, nike doesn't just get to come in and have carte blanche." and sure, when you have ownership that isn't going to budge on their look (like the packers or steelers), that's true. but it's clear that nike does has a clear influence when new designs are rolled out, and they almost always lean away from tradition and toward gimmicks.

for every seahawks, who takes on a modern design and has it become palatable, there are way more that get a crummy re-design and have to go back to the drawing board.

sig2024.png

8 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

It's crazy they've made deals with the three major sports in country. 

Not gonna lie, I kind of want them to resucue the NHL from the brutal Adidas collars.  But Nike might just replace them with Flywire and toilet lid collars.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Oh no... I’m now scared. Holefuly they keep it traditional, in a sense on not being utter trash.

As long as White at Home/Grey on Road doesn’t change, it won’t be that bad. The Ats on the other hand... I’d rather have the crazy stuff be a week long thing like Players Weekend rather than 1000 alts worn around wrecking nice matchups.

farewell Block Numbers, it was nice knowing ya...

da0Lbhs.png

MLB already has sold out with all of the special themed jerseys and players weekend stuff, so I’m not worried about Nike. If anything their special uniforms will likely be less templated and more custom to the team, which I will be happy about.

Given that it was inevitable that MLB wasn't going to remain low-key with Majesic forever, I don't really care who it is.  I just hope MLB teams and the league can embrace some tradition.  For example, no white at home like you see in the NBA.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Wouldn't teams still have final say in uniform designs not Nike? I don't understand the fears being exhibited. The Yankees won't allow Nike to remove their pinstripes or anything like that.

Nike goes as far as teams will let them.

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Wouldn't teams still have final say in uniform designs not Nike? I don't understand the fears being exhibited. The Yankees won't allow Nike to remove their pinstripes or anything like that.

I think it would be in Nike's best interest to keep the pinstripes as they are. 

Now some sort of Navy Road Alt... I can see that being on the table. 

Hopefully, they will push the Diamondbacks to go back to purple and teal. Wishful thinking.

What concerns me is the retail side. Personally, I really enjoy following and purchasing apparel when its quality and looks great. With New Era pushing their manufacturing to China, dropping quality, and raising prices, and now fanatics taking over for all of Nike retail manufacturing and selling; I imagine across the board quality taking a nose dive, which is a shame.

I've noticed that start over the last couple of years, especially with some of the NFL apparel Nike sells. I've noticed that they have reduced their quality since they started the NFL contract and their prices are ridiculous. Not only that, but some of their items (hoodies, shorts, shirts, hats, jerseys, etc.) that you may see on TV or available for purchase for other teams are not available for all teams. 

Not really a huge deal, but its kind of a bummer I think. 

Nike Officially Announced as MLB On-Field Uniform Provider

January 25, 2019 - 16:01 PM

Major League Baseball this morning announced they have made their long-rumoured deal with Nike official, beginning with the 2020 season Nike will replace Majestic as the exclusive on-field provider of MLB uniforms. Nike’s deal with MLB lasts ten years and, […]

Read More...

43 minutes ago, msu said:

MLB already has sold out with all of the special themed jerseys and players weekend stuff, so I’m not worried about Nike. If anything their special uniforms will likely be less templated and more custom to the team, which I will be happy about.

I agree. Mlb's uniform program is already as broken as the nba (alts worn too often, too many promotional uniforms, no 5 year rule) with nike so I would not expect much to change on that front. I think you will just see more logo creep and ridiculous marketing backstories.

37 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

I think it would be in Nike's best interest to keep the pinstripes as they are. 

Now some sort of Navy Road Alt... I can see that being on the table. 

I think nike will go the Barca route with NYY. They will have pinstripes but they will be tweaked each season. Thick, thin, pixelated, gradient, horizontal, left half navy/right half white, and so on...

4 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I think nike will go the Barca route with NYY. They will have pinstripes but they will be tweaked each season. Thick, thin, pixelated, gradient, horizontal, left half navy/right half white, and so on...

Oh, heeeeeellllllllll nah!

Archived