Nike Officially Announced as MLB On-Field Uniform Provider

BJ Sands

That Nike baseball template has been around for a few years, I'm sure that they will have a new template to roll out with the MLB takeover. For the most part, Nike's baseball uniforms are fairly restrained. The main reason college teams have so many uniforms is that they play 3 game series on the road, and pack enough uniforms so they don't have to do laundry while away from home. I feel with a league as traditional as the MLB is, there will still be the same teams with the Home/Road/Alt or just Home/Road sets. I'm sure there will still be the Mother's Day/Father's Day/4th of July/Memorial Day uniforms, but I can't imagine that they will look much different than they currently do, with the exception of the swoosh on the jersey. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/17/2019 at 1:35 PM, Marlins93 said:

A jersey like that can pass for NCAA but anything resembling it would be atrocious in MLB. The template, the swoosh, the placement of the Big 10 logo.

I don't want to sound like a stuffy traditionalist, but I genuinely feel that if that jersey style were imposed upon an MLB team, the Nike branding would overpower the team branding. It's going to be a sad day when field worn attire littered with swooshes screams NIKE more than RED SOX or YANKEES.

It's ok. I don't think any MLB team will try to get into the Big Ten anytime soon.

Overall, it's not a bad modernish take on a classic style uniform.

28 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

No, but they might want to be sponsored by Goodyear, LendingTree, or GE.

The only thing that's changing besides the template change is the logo goes from the sleeve to the chest. Everyone is freaking out about sponsorship but there's been no serious discussion I'm aware of that it's on the way.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The only thing that's changing besides the template change is the logo goes from the sleeve to the chest. Everyone is freaking out about sponsorship but there's been no serious discussion I'm aware of that it's on the way.

I understand that, but I feel that it's inevitable on the current course. I consider that Big 10 logo to be a placeholder for what's to come.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:35 PM, Marlins93 said:

A jersey like that can pass for NCAA but anything resembling it would be atrocious in MLB. The template, the swoosh, the placement of the Big 10 logo.

I don't want to sound like a stuffy traditionalist, but I genuinely feel that if that jersey style were imposed upon an MLB team, the Nike branding would overpower the team branding. It's going to be a sad day when field worn attire littered with swooshes screams NIKE more than RED SOX or YANKEES.

FWIW that’s a B1G thing, not Nike. Non Nike schools also feature the B1G logo.

DXTguFcVAAAnHyI.png

25 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

FWIW that’s a B1G thing, not Nike. Non Nike schools also feature the B1G logo.

DXTguFcVAAAnHyI.png

He's talking about location and size but that's a good point, it's not just a Nike thing it's a college thing.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm talking more broadly about what MLB jerseys could look like on the horizon. If jerseys start featuring LendingTree logos where that Big Ten one is, MLB is to blame, not Nike. My point was that I think that this kind of thing can fly in NCAA sports, but those jerseys in the photo would look atrocious in MLB.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

yeah... but those are two pretty big (negative IMO) changes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/15/2019 at 1:25 PM, OnWis97 said:

Three would be a reduction for most teams.

Thanks to the Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, etc., I don't foresee the death of home and road designations like in the NBA.  I just cannot fathom the Yankees in gray at home hosting the Red Sox in white. 

Looking at the NFL and NBA takeovers, some possibilities might include:

• More one-year uniforms...maybe even using the title "earned" for teams from the previous year's postseason.  
  • Maybe in place of "City" uniforms, they'll have "historic" fauxback type gimmicks.
  • One or two teams with a very "Nike" overhaul like the Seahawks and Bucs.  Maybe the Rockies?  Mariners?  D-Backs?

I think Nike's NBA takeover is much, much worse than its NFL takeover.  If I turn on a random NBA game, I frequently need extra looks to determine the teams or who's at home.  Teams too frequently dress in colors that have nothing to do with them, white vs. dark is not an indicator of who's at home, it's just kind of a mess.  The NFL takeover has been more of a mixed bag.  I think MLB will be more NFL-like, though the number of games could lead them to take step in the NBA direction.  But I really don't think you'll see white being worn by the road team (nor gray by the home team) and I am hopeful that we won't see too many non-team color combos like a purple Twins "Prince" uniform or a silver Pirates "Steel City" uniform.

I really believe that franchises such as the Mariners, D-backs,Rays and Marlins (even though they just changed) could benefit from an awesome nike overhaul equally to the Seahawks.  Those are franchises that have nothing to lose by doing it and could end up being a trend setter while at the sametime finally finding a branding to stick with that works. 

• 1 month later...

I am quite curious to see what teams will make little changes while they have a good chance. 

One team I see making a move is the Twins. I think it would be a great opportunity to better streamline their set, and make it more cohesive looking. Maybe one throwback, but have a more consistent image.

9 minutes ago, Kg54mvp said:

I am quite curious to see what teams will make little changes while they have a good chance. 

One team I see making a move is the Twins. I think it would be a great opportunity to better streamline their set, and make it more cohesive looking. Maybe one throwback, but have a more consistent image.

I think the Rockies are another prime example in need of a refresh that could take advantage of the situation.  I could see the Rays could keep logos and make teak to the unis.

Using the NHL Reebok changeover of 2007 as an example, they had 3 teams create new identiites so its possible a few will make a move.

55 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I think the Rockies are another prime example in need of a refresh that could take advantage of the situation.  I could see the Rays could keep logos and make teak to the unis.

Using the NHL Reebok changeover of 2007 as an example, they had 3 teams create new identiites so its possible a few will make a move.

True! I'm at the point where I don't want to buy any more mercy until next year in case any big changes happen. I understand nike won't have full control, but things will change.

• 2 months later...

Leaked Graphics Show Nike Swoosh on Yankees Jerseys

June 7, 2019 - 18:08 PM

Yes. It’s really happening. Thanks to a series of photos leaked to UniWatch yesterday, we can now see how Nike’s swoosh will look on the front of Major League Baseball jerseys when they take over providing the on-field product in […]

Read More...

58 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Seeing it on the front is gonna take some getting used to. I would've preferred it on the sleeve, but I know why they chose the former.

It's been on college jerseys the last few years now, but I can understand gettign used to a significant change on pro jerseys. The fact the NBA Finals logo is on the back of the jersey still annoys me to no end.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived