BJ Sands

Nike Officially Announced as MLB On-Field Uniform Provider

11 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's been on college jerseys the last few years now, but I can understand gettign used to a significant change on pro jerseys. The fact the NBA Finals logo is on the back of the jersey still annoys me to no end.

The new era flag was on the side of minor league caps for 16-17 years before it made it's MLB debut in the 2016 playoffs. It doesn't make it right though. 

No one will boycott this crap. 

This is lame for all teams, let alone a traditional look like the Yankees. Swoosh on the front feels amateur, given that it's been the norm for amateurs. 

It’s really not that big of a deal. The uniforms are the same minus the small swoosh, so, whatevs 🤷‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

I'm so excited for the reaction from Yankee purists here

1 hour ago, poser said:

I'm just here to see how mad people get

George would have paid what it took to make that not happen.  

Yeah... is it a Nike jersey with a Yankees logo, or a Yankees jersey with a Nike logo, or are they affiliated in some way and it's co-branded?

Complete rubbish.  To the bin with it.

Are the Yankees pinstripes still woven into the coolbase material, or are they now printed like most of the other teams?

If printed, do they still have the same narrower spacing that they've always had, or are they wider like teams like the Phillies?

In many other sports I get why the logo on the front would be preferred for maximum visibility, but in baseball I think the sleeve is actually the better choice.   When watching a game on TV most of the time you are looking at a better in profile view which means his sleeve is pointing towards you.

That said the size and placement on the front doesn't bug me.

Nike (and Under Armour?) obviously believes otherwise, since they tried to convince the NFL to trade two sleeve logos for one chest logo, and they lobbied MLB for the placement they got.

I suspect it’s more about visibility on fan jerseys. That’s where the real exposure is. 

This is the day the music died. 

18 hours ago, tp49 said:

George would have paid what it took to make that not happen.  

You got that right.

Steinbrenner had plenty of flaws. His absurd attachment to Billy Martin probably cost the team at least one division title, perhaps more. And I hate him for his contemptable treatment of Dave Winfield, who ranks amongst the greatest players in team history (which, when it comes to the Yankees, is saying plenty).

However, Steinbrenner would surely have resisted this sort of thing. At the time of the Turn Ahead the Clock promotion, he was asked why the Yankees didn't participate in it. He replied: "We did." In this case Steinbrenner would have just paid whatever fine that Major League Baseball would have levied; and the Yankees' uniforms would have remained intact.

The last 7 years or so has made me miss the days when teams had to make their own manufacturer deals. While this is sacrilegious for the Yankees and less than ideal for other teams, I'm more worried about what :censored:ed up template Nike comes up with that really :censored:s everyone over.

I gotta say it's not as bad as I had thought it would be. If the logo must be on the front, it's done as tastefully as possible here with the swoosh matching team colors. Has exceeded my extremely low expectations

In a world where things like this seem to be inevitable, I would've preferred the Yankees to have the Swoosh applied in the same color as the base of the jersey so as to be as inoffensive as possible. Same with the New Era logo on the caps.. and even for non-Yankee teams, either having the logo in cap-color thread, or at least use the team's secondary color when possible, so the logo isn't so gaudy and distracting..

While I understand it's for marketing and branding, it is done in a way that truly makes the product look worse, which is bad for branding.. so, do it in a way that doesn't negatively affect the look of your product..

I’m shocked that Nike is continuing with the mesh shirt tail and side inserts. I thought for sure they would create a unique template.

1 hour ago, CitizenTino said:

I’m shocked that Nike is continuing with the mesh shirt tail and side inserts. I thought for sure they would create a unique template.

They are, just not for 2020. 

Literally nothing will change except the swoosh next year.  They bought Majestic and have absorbed the standard manufacturing process. And since they’re taking over on shorter notice, once Under Armour had to bail out of the contract, the new Nike templates can’t come for a year or two. 

16 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They are, just not for 2020. 

Literally nothing will change except the swoosh next year.  They bought Majestic and have absorbed the standard manufacturing process. And since they’re taking over on shorter notice, once Under Armour had to bail out of the contract, the new Nike templates can’t come for a year or two. 

This is close, but not completely accurate.

Fanatics acquired Majestic in 2017.  Neither it nor Majestic were acquired by Nike, but Majestic this January  reached a 10-year partnership with Nike in a deal that, as I read it, means Nike will design MLB on-field uniforms and Majestic will handle all production and distribution of retail products. I'm sure within there an agreement for Majestic to continue manufacturing the on-field uniforms too, at least for the interim, though the public announcements don't explicitly say so.