Nike Officially Announced as MLB On-Field Uniform Provider

BJ Sands

When it comes to sponsorships on uniforms, American leagues at the highest level are way behind the rest of the world. I wonder if the growing popularity of international soccer in the states has something to do with things changing here. Are ads on uniforms seen as the norm by a younger generation of sports fans? As someone pointed out earlier, Manchester United makes a lot of money off their sponsorship deals. The world didn’t end with the NBA putting ads on. That’s leaving the rest of the teams looking to catch-up and cash-in.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop calling it "sponsorship".  It's advertising.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

When it comes to sponsorships on uniforms, American leagues at the highest level are way behind the rest of the world. I wonder if the growing popularity of international soccer in the states has something to do with things changing here. Are ads on uniforms seen as the norm by a younger generation of sports fans? As someone pointed out earlier, Manchester United makes a lot of money off their sponsorship deals. The world didn’t end with the NBA putting ads on. That’s leaving the rest of the teams looking to catch-up and cash-in.

Its good for a few sponsors on the jersey. Not like the euro hockey does.

Also NBA, MLS and even the AHL have sponsors 

hvmY186.png

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No, it’s not “good”.  It might be the reality, but it’s not good

Uniform advertising only exacerbates the financial imbalance between teams.  The rich get richer. 

Have you thought of it in this way, say if NHL has sponsor on a jersey. You could see jersey and ticket price go down. Which would be big help for some people. 

hvmY186.png

5 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

Have you thought of it in this way, say if NHL has sponsor on a jersey. You could see jersey and ticket price go down. Which would be big help for some people. 

Yes, that would be nice.

But that has literally never happened in the history of jersey ads.  

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I’m sorry, but this is a really silly argument.  

I was saying that from the leagues’ point of view. I’d bet that the NHL, MLB, and NFL were watching to see how it went over. To be clear, I’m not in favor of it. 

1 hour ago, Flames1fan said:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Dear gods you're naive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Only logo that should be on a jersey/other parts of a uniform is the team logo.

Soft stop

Possibly a league logo as well.

Full stop.

(Yes, i buy jerseys with advertising on it. And will pay extra, if needed, for the ads so the jersey matches what is worn on field. My need for an exact visual replica does not change my point or my views)

EDIT: This also applies for the playing surface, and preferably the stadium as well. But the stadium is flexible.

EDIT EDIT: Also, even more applies for advertising in event names (WS presented by fox, ie)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

The NBA is charging more than ever for embellished wifebeaters. The NHL would simply cash in and might even jack up their jerseys and tickets prices anyway...

Just now, jp1409 said:

The NBA is charging more than ever for embellished wifebeaters. They'll simply cash in and might even jack up their jerseys and tickets prices anyway...

Is that the league doing that or Nike themselfs. Adidas NHL jersey are up there in price 

hvmY186.png

2 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Your not use to it, more other sports on that side of world does it. Its not bad at all tbh.

Getting used to it doesn’t make it appealing. I’m used to ads on soccer jerseys, and the economics of it are very simple, but I definitely don’t like them.

Sure, but that’s not what happens. The prices stay the same or go up, based on the actual data.

Conversely, when a company sponsors admission for MoMA on one night a week, everyone gets in for free, and I still don’t have to see a corporate logo on the side of MoMA. I support that, even though it’s crowded as F.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

30 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Getting used to it doesn’t make it appealing. I’m used to ads on soccer jerseys, and the economics of it are very simple, but I definitely don’t like them.

Sure, but that’s not what happens. The prices stay the same or go up, based on the actual data.

Conversely, when a company sponsors admission for MoMA on one night a week, everyone gets in for free, and I still don’t have to see a corporate logo on the side of MoMA. I support that, even though it’s crowded as F.

I go Friday mornings every couple of months. Gotta pay, but reasonable crowds. 

18 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Replica jerseys in the NBA dont have the ad logo on them, except for maybe the ones sold at the venue team shops themselves, so the ad revenue doesnt carry over like you assume it would

ff_3025834_full.jpg&w=340

• 2 weeks later...

Archived