MLB Changes 2020

kimball

Well, since this news broke about the Nike/MLB deal AND the Padres going back to brown and gold, I guess we have some concrete changes to look forward to in 2020!

I wonder if we'll see any other changes with the Nike contract taking over in 2020? I almost think we'd see 2021 with more changes because of the delay after Under Armor pulled out of the deal. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Majestic gave us these.  So I’m not sure Nike’s worst will be much worse. 

Hy4U0NA.jpg

I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that Nike had a helping hand in designing these, unfortunately. That would make sense with the cleats being so prominent in the unveiling.

57 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that Nike had a helping hand in designing these, unfortunately. That would make sense with the cleats being so prominent in the unveiling.

Yes, yes it was.

"The design was completed entirely by our in-house multimedia productions team in conjunction with MLB design services," Hall said. "We began this process more than 18 months ago and have involved our players significantly throughout, as well as some of our fans. We also relied heavily on input from MLB Authentic Collection licensees such as Majestic, Nike and New Era, but our team took the lead with strong support from the MLB design team."

da0Lbhs.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Majestic gave us these.  So I’m not sure Nike’s worst will be much worse. 

Hy4U0NA.jpg

While yes majestic gave us 1 out of 30 awful designs, nike has pretty much given us this or worse in pretty much every redesign they've done since taking over the other leagues. Few exceptions of course.

Not only that they forced a template design that caused every teams design to be bastardized. 

So yeah nike can shove it and definitely not looking forward to the change.

“The design was completed entirely by our in-house multimedia productions team in conjunction with MLB design services. We also relied heavily on input from MLB Authentic Collection licensees such as Majestic, Nike and New Era, but our team took the lead with strong support from the MLB design team.”

What it actually says: “We received a lot of input from manufacturers like Majestic, Nike and New Era throughout the design process and took into consideration their designs, but our in-house team (with assistance from Major League Baseball’s design team) ultimately made the decisions.”

What some people read: “The design was forced on us by Nike. We, as a team, had no say in what we now look like.” 

I feel like people are overreacting to the Nike news. Other than the swoosh on the front and a change in templates, I can't see anything worse than what majestic has been doing with the holiday alternates. A vast majority of baseball teams have their branding down and don't want to change it. Baseball uniform change is usually less radical than what happens in football and basketball. R-E-L-A-X

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

15 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Other than the swoosh on the front and a change in templates, 

Other than Lincoln getting murdered, the play was good.

Consider the Yankees - inarguably the most recognizable and (despite some recent capitulation) traditional of teams.  The template is a pretty important, as is the front of the jersey.

Quick research shows that they've worn the same template (raglan style) since at least the mid 70s - possibly as far back as their first poly jerseys in 73.  While at some point in the 80s they seem to have changed the density of the stripes, the way they go all the way up to the neck is (IMO) a signature element of their look, and separates them from the other pinstriped teams that use the set-in template (White Sox, Phillies, etc.) (Cubs also share the raglan template, but they're not the Yankees.)

I'm not familiar with Nike's baseball templates, or if they're developing something special for 2020, and can only speculate based on how radically the football template has changed from the traditional set-in style that dominated up until the last 10 years.  It's not a huge deal in football, but pinstripes - which aren't going anywhere - will only accentuate any odd seam placement, and would have a high visual impact (at least to nerds like us) to some of the more traditional uniforms, even if nothing else from a design perspective changes.

Oh yeah - that swoosh next to the NY... shouldn't the team's brand be single one promoted on the uniform?  It's really sad that people seem to overlook that it's just an advertisement - on the front of the jersey - that serves to promote a brand besides the one for which the uniform represents.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No, those are fine... except for the swoosh.  The point is that concern for template changes is justified regardless of any college team, since Nike has a history of doing it in the other top leagues that they outfit.  It's concern, not panic.  I agree that the "Nike is going to ruin all the teams" is overblown, and I'm not (yet) worried about a "icon", "association", "earned", blah blah blah system like some are suggesting.

ð yourself.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No, those are fine... except for the swoosh.  The point is that concern for template changes is justified regardless of any college team, since Nike has a history of doing it in the other top leagues that they outfit.  It's concern, not panic.  I agree that the "Nike is going to ruin all the teams" is overblown, and I'm not (yet) worried about a "icon", "association", "earned", blah blah blah system like some are suggesting.

ð yourself.

No. Those suck.

Maybe I just need to get used to it, but every time I look at a college jersey, the swoosh really bothers me. I haven't warmed up to the New Era cap logo yet, either. Advertising has been part of baseball since its early days put prominent manufacturer logos on field worn apparel is a line I really do not want to see crossed. And I don't really consider myself to be an old school person by any means, although I think nostalgia is more integral to baseball than it is in other professional sports.

I think it’s easy to look at the NBA and think that Nike will screw everything up, but the NBA and MLB are very different fan bases. Every NBA team was experimenting with alternates at home and on the road before Nike seemed to have killed white uniforms at home. The point being, Nike just added more to what was already happening under Adidias. 

MLB is way more conservative and reliant on tradition. I think Nike will offer up lots of ideas, and some teams will use them, but teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals, and some others with classic looks aren’t going to change that much. The only pause I might give is that Nike might look to the 1970s for inspiration. A colorful time period for MLB. 

Archived