MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, insert name said:

And once again, I think it says “MIKE”. 

Yeah, I loathe "MKE" and its faux hipness. Reminds me of all the transplants from Waukesha County who pretend to have been lifelong Milwaukeeans.

But more to the point, they're the BREWers. They're really crapping the bed by not capitalizing on BREW City.

Not sure how much weight or stock to put into this, but the Rays' social media has recently started to roll out very yellow-based graphics. Could this be hinting at something or is it just a fresh graphical theme for the end of the season? 

Y'all know this is just my opinion, right?

Extremely unpopular opinion that probably screams how I am but a child on these boards maybe moreso than my awfully constructed username:

I like the M wheat more than the Ball in Glove, and I'll tell you why.

To get it out of the way, yes I am a Brewers fan that has only remembered and has only been to Miller Park with the Brewers in the M wheat which is makes this opinion super biased.

Sure, the best era of Brewers baseball, second to right now, occurred when they were wearing the ball in glove.  Sure, the ball in glove throwbacks and current navy and yellow alts get lots of love by the fan base and gets a lot of sales.  Sure, I'll buy plenty of navy and yellow ball in glove merch when it becomes the full time logo in 2020 because of Nike and the Brewers' 50th or 2021 because of Miller Park becoming AmFam Park.

BUT

To me, the ball in glove, as genius and peak 80's design as it is and as the best fan-made logo in professional sports, is way too generic.  Any team with the initials M.B. could use it and it'd fit right in with any coloring.  The uniform it accompanies is equally generic.  Yankee pinstripes with a vertically arched athletic block wordmark is not unique, sorry, but it is classic baseball.  Same with, at the time, powder blue and a script.  Then the 90's came and some Milwaukee-flavor was added with a great Germanic font and monogram that was also classic, but the Brewers still sucked and green was added for no reason, so it didn't catch on and is now (in my opinion, unfairly) established as the worst look in Brewers history.  Then the 2000's came and eventually a new stadium accompanied their current look (a year late).  You have some classic beer-label inspired scripts paired with wheat imagery creating a look clearly made for a team called "Brewers" from the Brew City.  The drop shadow might be too modern for baseball purists, which I get, but overall, its a great look that conveys Milwaukee more than the image of equipment used by every baseball player drawn the right way so that two letters are hidden.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:56 PM, itsmb8 said:

Ya know what... Nevermind, go back to the BiG.  Theres just been way too many times ive worn my M w/ wheat Brewers hat and someone thought I was a Mariners fan... 

I don't even know where to begin here.  How someone confuses a drop shadow white M with gold wheat underneath, with either a teal outlined silver S with a compass, a yellow M trident with or without a star behind it, or a drop shadow yellow S is way beyond me...  It's extremely obvious that the beer label stylized M with beer ingredient underneath might represent the beer team.

If the argument is that the M wheat is only relevant because it's been the primary logo the longest of any Brewers logo, then that argument can be used to explain why the ball in glove is still relevant since it's still being used in some form or the other.

If the Brewers never had 10 of the franchise's, now, 18 winning seasons and the franchise's only World Series appearance wearing the ball in glove, maybe the extreme fandom behind the ball in glove logo might not exist, or maybe the ball in glove might not eventually replace the look that looks the most "Brewers" from a design standpoint and has the most postseason appearances tied to it.

But that being said, Nike, I am not wearing a volt ball in glove with gradient wheat shoulders and hyper-modern scripts and numbering.  Please don't :censored: with the ball in glove, Nike.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Just my guess but I think the Rays yellow is just new graphics for social media. I've seen plenty of teams whose social media varies the color schemes quite a bit but it never translates to any uniform or other color changes. The social media people just seem to be more willing to try different takes on the color schemes.

@packerfan21396 We've heard all of those arguments several times before. Preferring the Barley M is like the people who, in 2019, think getting a tattoo makes them edgy and different.

The fact is, throwback hats for the BiG began showing up almost immediately after the current uniforms were introduced, less than a decade after the BiG's original run. And with its reintroduction in 2006, its the only mark that's been around, in some form, for all of the team's postseason appearances.

Besides, what's to say if they went in another direction that it wouldn't prove to have the same problems the Barley M is having now because they tried to capture a classic baseball aesthetic that quickly became dated due to all the trappings and excesses of the era it was designed in?  The BiG, if nothing else, has proven its staying power.

6 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

To me, the ball in glove, as genius and peak 80's design as it is and as the best fan-made logo in professional sports, is way too generic.  Any team with the initials M.B. could use it and it'd fit right in with any coloring. 

How many baseball teams with the initials M.B. exist?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

There's a much better option than either of those.

c1rtoegrxgkq4zd9kvjq7g1df.png

Sometimes the low-hanging fruit is the sweetest. 

But in in all seriousness, Forest Green, Royal Blue, and Black was a case of “right zip code, wrong address.” Forest Green/Light Blue would be far better, especially if using a font that wasn’t the ‘90s or current design.

12 hours ago, evoquik said:

Not sure how much weight or stock to put into this, but the Rays' social media has recently started to roll out very yellow-based graphics. Could this be hinting at something or is it just a fresh graphical theme for the end of the season? 

Theyve done this before, I believe it's a postseason push kinda thing.

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

Preferring the Barley M is like the people who, in 2019, think getting a tattoo makes them edgy and different.

I don't suppose you think everyone that disagrees with you is "edgy"?  I'm not trying to be contrarian because it's "trendy" or "cool."  I genuinely think the M wheat fits the aesthetic of a team named Brewers better than a generic baseball glove.

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

The fact is, throwback hats for the BiG began showing up almost immediately after the current uniforms were introduced, less than a decade after the BiG's original run. And with its reintroduction in 2006, its the only mark that's been around, in some form, for all of the team's postseason appearances.

I addressed this:

11 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

If the argument is that the M wheat is only relevant because it's been the primary logo the longest of any Brewers logo, then that argument can be used to explain why the ball in glove is still relevant since it's still being used in some form or the other.

Longevity doesn't just make the ball in glove instantly better.  Montreal's M blob is a quite garbage, confusing logo with plenty of problems that manages to stick around as a "great" and popular logo.

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

Besides, what's to say if they went in another direction that it wouldn't prove to have the same problems the Barley M is having now because they tried to capture a classic baseball aesthetic that quickly became dated due to all the trappings and excesses of the era it was designed in?  The BiG, if nothing else, has proven its staying power.

The only thing that "dates" the current look is the drop shadow and non-MLB block.  But, drop-shadows and proprietary fonts, though rare, are not new to baseball.

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

How many baseball teams with the initials M.B. exist?

HXNFLGz.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

8 minutes ago, packerfan21396 said:

HXNFLGz.png

Which team do you really think of when you look at all those, though?

The BiG might be generic...but the Brewers really made it a brand.

If any of those teams are Brewers affiliates (I haven't checked, though the Braves and Marauders certainly aren't, and Mobile is going away)...would it be that bad if they wore it as an alternate?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Which team do you really think of when you look at all those, though?

The BiG might be generic...but the Brewers really made it a brand.

If any of those teams are Brewers affiliates (I haven't checked)...would it be that bad if they wore it as an alternate?

None of them are, and like I said it's only a brand because of the success the Brewers had wearing it.  If you take away the context, the ball in glove is extremely generic.

Let's be clear, I'm not saying the BiG is a garbage logo, I'm just saying that the M wheat is the better aesthetic for a "Brewers" team.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Archived