MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dont care said:

They’ve always been a template, ever since they started wearing spring training caps instead of just the regular caps.

Not sure that's the case.  In the early 2000s (I think as early as 99) when ST hats became a league-wide thing, the materials were standardized but the marks were not.  Even when they came out with the dumb ear outline template, the logo style was still team specific.  It's been relatively more recently that the logo treatments have been templated too.

Unfortunately this is the only photo I can find of ST hats going back that far, and it's only for one team, but if anyone else can find others from the same time frame, I bet it would prove that the templating came later.

phillies_hats_2016_2.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

The bigger issue is that spring training hats exist at all. Totally unnecessary.

Also, am I imagining this, or did teams just used to wear simple mesh trucker hat versions of their regular caps in spring training? 

The 1999-2002 design was the mesh material. Not sure how far back they went. Someone mentioned they wore snapbacks in ST too. They weren't quite trucker mesh, as much as just regular jersey mesh. New era does have a trucker mesh fitted fashion cap. Sometimes I think they could just be wearing those and call it a day. 

spacer.png

As far as the 1999-2002 design. I think that was their pinnacle. 

spacer.png

Most teams wore their regular cap but in mesh. Some added a secondary logo. Some wore their secondary logo. 

spacer.png

Some teams didn't get into the ST hats fully until 2000-2001. I'm seeing evidence of some teams just wearing their regular wool game hats in ST. 

I will say we've made some really good progress. 2003-2012 were pre-formed  low profile style 3930s. The side piping was cheesy too. 

What's so bad about this 2020 design is that it's been done on fashion caps since the beginning of time. It's a lazy design choice. 

spacer.png

While I don’t care for this years crop of Spring Training caps...  or for that matter, many of the special uniform games of the past... I still think they should keep doing it. There should be room for experimentation and wacky concepts from time to time. A lot of them won’t be good but they’re not permanent either.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:40 AM, retro said:

.....barf. It looks like all ST/BP caps will be a ‘logo inside a logo’. It looked promising at first when I saw the Jays cap but it seems to have taken a turn for the worst.spacer.png

Looks like the elephant  have lost one of its yellow socks, poor guy,  he is just like the rest of us.

Look in the dryer again old buddy, it could still be in there.

the execution of the mets' one makes me feel like they could have gotten a decent look on these by just doing a straight gradient to fill in the logo. they could do the BS storytelling angle as, "reminiscent of a beautiful florida or arizona sunset."\

but yeah, these suck. the clubhouse caps, which no one will ever wear, are far superior. and the only reason i care about either category is because i always enjoy wearing diamond era/mesh to the poly game hats.

sig2024.png

On 1/26/2020 at 12:50 PM, retro said:

While I don’t care for this years crop of Spring Training caps...  or for that matter, many of the special uniform games of the past... I still think they should keep doing it. There should be room for experimentation and wacky concepts from time to time. A lot of them won’t be good but they’re not permanent either.

yeah i don't get too worked up over ST caps. let them play around before the season starts. the player's weekend nonsense is where i draw the line. 

38 minutes ago, zigbazah said:

yeah i don't get too worked up over ST caps. let them play around before the season starts. the player's weekend nonsense is where i draw the line. 

ST/BP is a great place for them to wild out but instead they go with sub-fashion cap looks all the time.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:31 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure that's the case.  In the early 2000s (I think as early as 99) when ST hats became a league-wide thing, the materials were standardized but the marks were not.  Even when they came out with the dumb ear outline template, the logo style was still team specific.  It's been relatively more recently that the logo treatments have been templated too.

Unfortunately this is the only photo I can find of ST hats going back that far, and it's only for one team, but if anyone else can find others from the same time frame, I bet it would prove that the templating came later.

phillies_hats_2016_2.jpg

Yea, 2013 is when it started getting bad imo with the puffy outlines, then the one where it was plastic logos, but now the logo design all have the common template/design.  I still have a 2010 - 2012 one that I still wear.

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

ST/BP is a great place for them to wild out but instead they go with sub-fashion cap looks all the time.

Sports apparel and street fashion are blending more and more though. We're in the Instagram marketing era 🔥🔥🔥. Sure, the logo inside of logo design isn't the most original idea, but I could see the caps selling well. 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:54 AM, MattMill said:

The 1999-2002 design was the mesh material. Not sure how far back they went. Someone mentioned they wore snapbacks in ST too. They weren't quite trucker mesh, as much as just regular jersey mesh. New era does have a trucker mesh fitted fashion cap. Sometimes I think they could just be wearing those and call it a day. 

spacer.png

I have one of these and it gets extensive usage in the summertime. Why the pros aren’t actively using this is beyond me. My head really IS a lot cooler.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 1/22/2020 at 10:31 PM, jp1409 said:

Sent New Era an email telling them the cold hard truth about the garbage they're selling and got this back. I'm honestly curious knowing their explanation. I'm 99% confident they're not giving a :censored: but I guess we'll see...

Your request has been elevated

Hello,

Your request ***** has been marked as high priority with our support staff. Please allow 24 hours while we carefully review this issue for you. A member of our support team will reach out with an update soon.

Thank you,

New Era Cap Customer Care

Just been offered a $50 credit and free shipping for it on their website. They haven't said sorry or explained anything... How can I possibly choose another hat online when 90% are defective or have inconsistent sizing...

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

Just been offered a $50 credit and free shipping for it on their website. They haven't said sorry or explained anything... How can I possibly choose another hat online when 90% are defective or have inconsistent sizing...

$50 may barely get one on field now. What was the initial problem? Just a badly crafted Ill- fitting cap? Paper thin greasy poly with a body crappy crown?  Did you return the cap? Unless it's on sale, I just can't buy today's Bangladesh caps. They're worth $10 tops. 

2 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Translation: We hope you tell people that we told you that we take your concern seriously and will be thrilled by our attempt to buy you off.

Thank you,

New Era

13 hours ago, MattMill said:

$50 may barely get one on field now. What was the initial problem? Just a badly crafted Ill- fitting cap? Paper thin greasy poly with a body crappy crown?  Did you return the cap? Unless it's on sale, I just can't buy today's Bangladesh caps. They're worth $10 tops. 

My new Padres on-field 5950 made in Bangladesh as you guessed. Needed to visit about a dozen Lids before finding one with acceptable stitching and size. I don't even have to return it as it was bought at Lids and it's New Era offering the credit... $50 is more than enough to have it replaced but am I really interested getting the same horrible product (mine was still the best of about 25-30 I saw)? I might ask for one made in the States since I got their attention but even then, I have 90% chance that it's defective or simply doesn't fit...

Archived