MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Are you talking about all jerseys of a set or just a home or road?

The Padres’ 2016 unis were one-year wonders.

The 1990 Cubs had the short stubby “Chicago” jersey before tweaking the font in 1991. 

The 1987 Mets had road jerseys that lasted one year too. 

The 1983 Texas Rangers had a one year set.  Then in 1994 Texas Rangers road jersey were tweaked in 1995 by adding a blue outline around the "Texas"

1998 St Louis Cardinals. 1999, they changed the beak of the birds from red to yellow.

1993 Colorado Rockies road jerseys were a one year wonder before they changed the sleeve piping in 1994.

1994 Detroit Tigers road jersey

On 2/9/2020 at 11:29 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

But the Blue Jays and Rangers got new blue jerseys/uniforms?  Miami doesn't need a full redesign (imo) they just need colored names and numbers on the jerseys. 

The difference is that the Marlins don't want changes yet. The other teams did. Just switching to Nike doesn't mean teams are all gonna eventually change even in 2021. They'll change whenever the team actually wants to. 

20 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I'm a little surprised that the Marlins didn't make any adjustments before the 2020 season given the conspicuous issues with the set--primarily with the black alternate and its illegibility. They could be giving Nike a little more time to get settled in, but I wonder if they are worried about the optics of overhauling the designs after only one year.

I have some strong personal feelings about the rebrand obviously, but I sense there is a consensus that the black alternate needs a major tweak and a blue alternate of some sort needs to be in the mix for game use. Proponents and opponents of the new look can both agree on those two points at least and I'm certain that the changes will come eventually.

You're overthinking this. They, those in charge, just don't want to change yet. I think tweaks will come eventually too but they likely just don't think a change is needed yet. I doubt they're waiting on Nike to settle in. They only rebranded one season ago.

20 hours ago, BC985 said:

I’ve got a solution for the black alt- ditch it. I don’t mind the use of the color black, but it’s use has been the one constant and largest negative in the franchise’s uniform history. The color black completely pushed out both teal and orange colored uniform options. Now this team has adopted a great shade of blue, and it is being lost in the overuse of the color black. There is so much potential and the Marlins are making the same mistakes for a 3rd time.

The Marlins only use their black jerseys on Fridays and Saturdays. They use their regular home or road jerseys Sunday-Thursday. Sure they rely on the color black quite a bit but the idea that they use it more than anything else is now a myth. They've significantly scaled this back and this has been the case since Jeter took over.

5 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The 2020 promo schedule is out for the Nats, and on the calendar I see what I believe may be the design for their gold trimmed champs uniforms:

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/tickets/promotions?partnerId=ed-14695391-1194293303

zazour4qlf0c7iplm9j0

Hope the gold looks brighter in person, this reminds me a lot of the Twins current look. It helps that it's part of their ID, but the Royals still have the best championship set.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Gold is a tricky color to replicate in flat colors.  Oftentimes it looks too beige, but this one has too much green in it.  Yuck.  I prefer the beige.

2 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Hope the gold looks brighter in person, this reminds me a lot of the Twins current look. It helps that it's part of their ID, but the Royals still have the best championship set.

Once the Brewers win the World Series, theyre gonna have a top 3 championship set.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

2 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Once the Brewers win the World Series, theyre gonna have a top 3 championship set.

I argued for a long time that the Brewers should use metallic golds where it was possible and athletic gold (rather than beige) as a substitute when it wasn't.

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed.

Besides, I'm not sure at all that there is a "consensus" that the Marlins need to change.

I'd absolutely say there is a consensus on those two points I specified--the black jersey could benefit from more color to avoid illegibility and a blue alternate should be in circulation for actual games.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Marlins only use their black jerseys on Fridays and Saturdays. They use their regular home or road jerseys Sunday-Thursday. Sure they rely on the color black quite a bit but the idea that they use it more than anything else is now a myth. They've significantly scaled this back and this has been the case since Jeter took over.

They've definitely scaled back a bit under Jeter in terms of wearing the black alternate, but it's still being worn for roughly one third of their games. That's not more than anything else, but roughly as much as the whites and grays. Once a week would be more appropriate.

9 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

They've definitely scaled back a bit under Jeter in terms of wearing the black alternate, but it's still being worn for roughly one third of their games. That's not more than anything else, but roughly as much as the whites and grays. Once a week would be more appropriate.

Ok so it's twice a week instead of once a week. Way better than some teams who wear their alternates more than their primaries. I'll take that especially with how they wore them before and how often people think they wear them.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:23 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The 2020 promo schedule is out for the Nats, and on the calendar I see what I believe may be the design for their gold trimmed champs uniforms:

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/tickets/promotions?partnerId=ed-14695391-1194293303

zazour4qlf0c7iplm9j0

Also just noticed the star over the Nats logo on the sleeve.  Don't think I've seen that anywhere but in soccer

90758391980.gif

Just now, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Also just noticed the star over the Nats logo on the sleeve.  Don't think I've seen that anywhere but in soccer

I actually wish more sports would incorporate that. I think it's a really cool way to denote a title. Would be fine if the Nats want to trendset in this instance. 

sig2024.png

17 minutes ago, Brian E said:

I actually wish more sports would incorporate that. I think it's a really cool way to denote a title. Would be fine if the Nats want to trendset in this instance. 

5 or more stars (2 tens+1 five+2 ones for 27 championships, possibly 2+1+4 for 29 championships) on the Yankees jersey would look kind of weird though. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived