MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, skip88 said:

200 is also way too much.

and no contrast stripes around neck, cuffs or hem.

Looks like a cheap rain coat.  Coaches will def. not  look as good as in the past. 

Just a cheep looking fan jacket, not much "Pro" about this look, and 200? gtfo

here they are

https://www.mlbshop.com/?query=Authentic Collection Dugout Full-Zip Jacket

They definitely do look cheap and generic.  I'll still check them out once I see them in store, but I'm pretty sure I'm passing on this version.

7 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Has anyone found a collection of the pullovers a lot of teams have been wearing for ST warmups?

the short sleeve ones with the NHL-esque collars? i'm looking for them, too!

also, the nats' helmets look effin gorgeous. and those dugout jackets definitely suck, although suck way less with contrasting sleeves.

sig2024.png

1 hour ago, Brian E said:

and those dugout jackets definitely suck, although suck way less with contrasting sleeves.

Something like this would have looked way better for the Brewers, but without the logo on back of course.

spacer.png

Not sure if it belongs here or the general MLB topic, but the Phillie Phanatic will be altered a little this year to satisfy an ongoing copyright/ownership lawsuit before the Phils lose the rights to their mascot on June 15. The updates will apparently be seen on Sunday during the first locally televised spring training game

11 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

Not sure if it belongs here or the general MLB topic, but the Phillie Phanatic will be altered a little this year to satisfy an ongoing copyright/ownership lawsuit before the Phils lose the rights to their mascot on June 15. The updates will apparently be seen on Sunday during the first locally televised spring training game

I just read this. It seems as though it will just be a few cosmetic changes.

23 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

I guess they'll have to use Philly Frenetic instead.

green_man_philly_phanatic.png

46 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

Wait what? How does a team lose the rights to their own mascot?

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

29 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Wait what? How does a team lose the rights to their own mascot?

Wow - I hadn't heard this was a thing.

The Phillies commissioned a design firm known for its Muppet designs to create a mascot.  But I didn't know that the designers are now angling for an increased licensing fee.

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-phanatic-lawsuit-copyright-trademark-lawsuit-free-agent-20190812.html

In 1978, when the Phanatic first sprung onto the Veterans Stadium field and into Philadelphians’ hearts, the Phillies paid Harrison and Erickson $3,900 for the creation of the mascot costume, but left the Phanatic’s copyright rights to the duo. It was a move then-Phillies vice president Bill Giles made to save $1,300, and later regretted. In fact, in his 2009 autobiography, Giles called it “the worst decision of my career.”

“Once they saw how successful it was and how popular it was, then they chose to buy the copyright from us,” Erickson, who worked with Jim Henson and created famed Muppets Miss Piggy, Statler, Waldorf, and more, told WBUR in Boston last month. “It cost them more.”

It cost $248,700 more. In 1984, the Phillies bought the copyright rights for $250,000 from Harrison and Erickson in an agreement the team’s lawsuit said was “forever.”

But artists can renegotiate copyright after 35 years, to capitalize on the success of their creations, (Drexel University law professor Amy) Landers said. That’s what Harrison and Erickson are trying to do.

Maybe we'll see other clubs in a bidding war to bring the Phanatic to Cleveland, or Los Angeles, or Arizona.  :D 

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Wow - I hadn't heard this was a thing.

The Phillies commissioned a design firm known for its Muppet designs to create a mascot.  But I didn't know that the designers are now suing for an increased licensing fee.

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-phanatic-lawsuit-copyright-trademark-lawsuit-free-agent-20190812.html

Instead of buying total rights to the character in the beginning, the team instead paid a licensing fee.  They say in perpetuity, the designers say no, and we'll see what happens.

The Phillies are the plaintiff, not the defendant.

And they paid for total rights in 1984, but copyrights can be renegotiated after 35 years.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

34 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Why any team would hold out on switching to matte at this point is beyond me. It's always a gorgeous upgrade in baseball.

For some reason the black matte helmets don't work for me - the White Sox and Pirates looked better IMO with glossy helmets. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah matte is a case by case bases. I feel like the royal blue teams look better gloss , same with the black teams. The nationals has grown on me but I think the dbacks had brick maybe lids and they looked terrible. 

I dont think trying to match with the hat material on the helmet is necessary. I prefer the distinction between the two.

Archived