MLB Changes 2020

kimball

27 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Only 4 left as of the time of this posting.

People are spending money on this kind of thing.  People literally have the disposable income to spend up to $500 on a hat made up of cut-up jerseys.  What in the what?

There were probably only four or five made. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaming news: MLB 20 The Show's game guide document notes there are 41 new throwback uniforms in the game...and of course it doesn't list them, so we don't know if those are sets or ind. uniforms. 

They did a great job last of of including a lot of throwbacks (35 were added last year or so, IIRC).

What they've leaked for 2020 :

1998/99 black Mets (with 2 black hats, I think, and I'm assuming late 90s home/road will be added)

1979 Cubs light blue pinstripe 

1968 White Sox light blue (a la 2018 TBTC)

2003 Padres white and camo (assuming road khaki is in)

1999 Astros navy (assuming home/road are in) 

1999 Marlins black sleeved vest 

17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Gaming news: MLB 20 The Show's game guide document notes there are 41 new throwback uniforms in the game...and of course it doesn't list them, so we don't know if those are sets or ind. uniforms. 

They did a great job last of of including a lot of throwbacks (35 were added last year or so, IIRC).

1998/99 black Mets (with 2 black hats, I think, and I'm assuming late 90s home/road will be added)

i cannot confirm this through two independent sources, but i was told by someone who works for the mets that they're wearing the black jersey and all-black hat at least once this year. again, please take this with a huge grain of salt (i wouldn't even post this without having it cold because i don't just randomly throw things against the wall; i like to know for sure). but since they pop up the show, it's at least worth mentioning.

that said, it is the 20th anniversary of their pennant and eventual loss to the yankees in the '00 series, and pete alonso and marcus stroman have both said on social media how much they want to wear the black uniforms. would certainly be a logical time for them to sell a boatload of throwback jerseys to the younger demo who absolutely loves this look (i'm young-ish, and love the '99-'00 mets more than any other mets team, but advocated hard for jerseys to ditch the black). 

FWIW, as a simple throwback or even a one-day-a-week alternate, it's fine. the biggest offense of black in the mets color scheme was that it encroached on everything.

sig2024.png

21 hours ago, WSU151 said:

This is great but a thought, it could actually be 82 new uniforms? I don't know this for sure but I do know that when they add a throwback uniform in that game they add both home and road version for each so whatever they say they've added it's most likely double that.

6 hours ago, Brian E said:

that said, it is the 20th anniversary of their pennant and eventual loss to the yankees in the '00 series, and pete alonso and marcus stroman have both said on social media how much they want to wear the black uniforms. would certainly be a logical time for them to sell a boatload of throwback jerseys to the younger demo who absolutely loves this look (i'm young-ish, and love the '99-'00 mets more than any other mets team, but advocated hard for jerseys to ditch the black).

Why? Why couldn’t you just say “20th Anniversary of winning the NL Pennant” and leave it at that?

There were a lot of people advocating for black alternatives when Beltran was still manager but since he had to be let go, it kinda died. I’m still in favor for bringing them back for a special event. 

XM4KeeA.png

On 3/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, WSU151 said:

It always bothers me the lack of throwbacks in the games. Atleast with sf. Neither the 80s full house or 90s sets are ever included in the games. I'm thinking it has to be a team directive for these sets not to be used.

8 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

It always bothers me the lack of throwbacks in the games. Atleast with sf. Neither the 80s full house or 90s sets are ever included in the games. I'm thinking it has to be a team directive for these sets not to be used.

The game used to be limited to a certain number of uniforms per team, it was only like two years ago that those limits were abolished and that the designers could add in as many uniforms as they wanted/or as time would allow really. In the last two years a multitude of throwback uniforms have been added with virtually none being removed. Last year they added over 60 and this year they've added over 80. Even then there are plenty of teams in the game who have less throwback uniforms than others. I highly doubt this has anything to do with the Giants specifically.

On 3/10/2020 at 3:17 PM, WSU151 said:

.Where is this black vest for the Marlins? 

1 hour ago, bcon_731 said:

Where is this black vest for the Marlins?

It was shown on a Juan Pierre legend reveal video, though weirdly enough Pierre joined the Marlins in 2003 and according to the mothership the Marlins stopped wearing the black sleeved vest in 2002. 

12 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

The more throwbacks, the better, IMO. I always enjoy the old unis. They added a lot last year which was nice, and most throwbacks last year included throwback dugout jackets, which was a cool easter egg. I agree that I wish they'd have the 80s and/or 90s set in the game. 

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The more throwbacks, the better, IMO. I always enjoy the old unis. They added a lot last year which was nice, and most throwbacks last year included throwback dugout jackets, which was a cool easter egg. I agree that I wish they'd have the 80s and/or 90s set in the game. 

I like to play games with historical rosters so it is nice to have the throwback uniforms to go along with the rosters.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The game used to be limited to a certain number of uniforms per team, it was only like two years ago that those limits were abolished and that the designers could add in as many uniforms as they wanted/or as time would allow really. In the last two years a multitude of throwback uniforms have been added with virtually none being removed. Last year they added over 60 and this year they've added over 80. Even then there are plenty of teams in the game who have less throwback uniforms than others. I highly doubt this has anything to do with the Giants specifically.

The Giants as a franchise however in recent years have not participated in throwback events, with the exception of if it's a road game and the home team provided the uniforms. 

They would have had a perfect opportunity this past season with It being 30 years since the battle of the bay. They had jerseys made for the reunion so it's not like majestic couldn't make it happen.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:23 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is great but a thought, it could actually be 82 new uniforms? I don't know this for sure but I do know that when they add a throwback uniform in that game they add both home and road version for each so whatever they say they've added it's most likely double that.

Turns out I was wrong on this as not every uniform added was with both home and road versions. Some yes but some not.

Here's something I did notice though. A few weeks ago we realized that many teams didn't have a true BP/ST jersey such as the Pirates and Brewers who were wearing a regular season alternate in ST. For those teams the jersey is listed as an alternate and in the BP spot is the 2019 BP tops which don't even exist this year. For some teams like the Padres they have their 2019 BP top in there but they don't have their 2020 ST top at all probably since it was unveiled late. I'd imagine it gets patched in though. Toronto's new blues aren't in either but their royal blue top is in twice which I assume is a placeholder for when the powder blue gets patched in. 

On 3/11/2020 at 4:08 PM, insert name said:

Why? Why couldn’t you just say “20th Anniversary of winning the NL Pennant” and leave it at that?

There were a lot of people advocating for black alternatives when Beltran was still manager but since he had to be let go, it kinda died. I’m still in favor for bringing them back for a special event. 

haha sorry, man. it hurts me too. my wife (yankees fan) was given a piece of memorabilia from my grandfather: a signed picture of jeter's lead off homer in game 4 with his 2000 series stats and "world series MVP" on it. she asked if we could hang it in my mancave, and i begrudgingly complied. you know i stare at that thing nightly with a scowl on my face!

sig2024.png

18 minutes ago, bcon_731 said:

Kinda bummed they done have some of the SPT from this season, will it be updated? 

Unclear. In the past they have added some missing jerseys and caps but they've also recently maintained that "spring jerseys are released too late to be added in." That seems like an garbage excuse but it's possible there's a more concrete reason behind it because if they could add them I would think they would. 

I realize now that there are actually no 2020 BP or ST specific jerseys in the game. Every jersey in the slot labeled BP is from 2019 because none of them have the Nike check. Also most have the colored side panels of last season. Even a team like the Marlins who have a BP/ST specific jersey have the 2019 version in, not the 2020 one. And any team that wears a regular season alternate in ST (such as Pittsburgh and Milwaukee) has that jersey in as a 2020 alternate.

Archived