kimball

MLB Changes 2020

On 3/19/2020 at 9:35 AM, EddieJ1984 said:

ETCglGLVAAI-sOh?format=jpg&name=large

It's like the old ravens 96 logo, it don't exist now.

Played MLB9Innings20 (free phone baseball game) and they had a graphic of Bob Feller with the Wahoo on his sleeve replaced with the block C.

So, do Braves photos from the ‘50s and ‘60s still have the Screaming Savage? If so, that’s a bit of a double standard.

3 hours ago, JayJaxon said:

Or they could have, ya know, just put the accurate logo for the time. 

It's no less offensive in historic context. 

Baseball is The History Sport except when the history is the stupid grinning Indian logo in which case it was made to have never happened.

Just now, the admiral said:

Baseball is The History Sport except when the history is the stupid grinning Indian logo in which case it was made to have never happened.

The History of Baseball loses nothing by forgetting Wahoo. 

It still happened! Airbrushing it out is low-rent.

1 minute ago, Ray Lankford said:

The History of Baseball loses nothing by forgetting Wahoo. 

Agreed. It’s Cleveland AL’s fault for keeping that thing around. 

Just now, the admiral said:

They can’t add one of these disclaimers:

spacer.png

...so removing Little Red Sambo is kind of OK by me. Just make sure the Screaming Savage meets the same fate.

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Just because something happened doesn't mean it has to be remembered, particularly when it's a reminder of how some people in our society are treated like second class citizens. Nobody would be calling for something more overtly racist to be put in a video game just because it had happened.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

So, do Braves photos from the ‘50s and ‘60s still have the Screaming Savage? If so, that’s a bit of a double standard.

It's called the laughing Brave. It has always been called the laughing Brave. The first time I ever heard someone refer to it as the screaming savage was a few years ago when Paul Lukas called it that to make it sound more offensive. 

4 minutes ago, JayJaxon said:

It's called the laughing Brave. It has always been called the laughing Brave. The first time I ever heard someone refer to it as the screaming savage was a few years ago when Paul Lukas called it that to make it sound more offensive. 

Well, “Screaming Savage” is the only name I’ve known it by. I don’t think it’s an inappropriate name for that thing at all.

Why not just do a block C like they have done with recent bobble heads?

Could the MLB censor wahoo out of older movies like Major League?

4 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Why not just do a block C like they have done with recent bobble heads?

Could the MLB censor wahoo out of older movies like Major League?

MLB doesn't own the movie, so no.

Legit question, since I'm not a gamer - do video games based around WW2 use full Nazi imagery, including swastikas?

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Legit question, since I'm not a gamer - do video games based around WW2 use full Nazi imagery, including swastikas?

depends on the game and region. Wolfenstein I know does (alt hist where Nazis win WWII) and I assume all others do too; Germany for the longest time had a complete ban, but recently changed their laws and will allow some nazi imagery. The extent idk but I know that no game studio every really censors things like that.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Major League isn't going anywhere. 

Besides, the Indians did it themselves. Instead of quietly getting rid of Wahoo the way the Braves did their chief in the 80s, they allowed the pot of controversy to be stirred for so long that it became a permanently divisive issue.

Personally, I'm not offended by Wahoo. But if he were my team's logo I'd still be too embarrassed to wear it.

51 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

44 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

depends on the game and region. Wolfenstein I know does (alt hist where Nazis win WWII) and I assume all others do too; Germany for the longest time had a complete ban, but recently changed their laws and will allow some nazi imagery. The extent idk but I know that no game studio every really censors things like that.

This is a very good question and yes, I think it very much depends on the developer and the game. One of my favorite recent Call of Duty games, WWII, uses the swastikas in the campaign for historical accuracy, but censors them out in the multiplayer in favor of red banners with the Iron Cross amidst a white circle, similar to what the swastika usually looked like.

spacer.png

It’s never bothered me in multiplayer because I can appreciate the symbolism and weight that the swastika carries. It’s a good middle ground to use the historically accurate symbols in the campaign because there’s no sugarcoating the story of WWII. I feel like anything else would be creating a false narrative. The campaign is the appropriate platform to allow for that.

With history, you have to let it stand on its own to an extent. I think how it’s presented is the key. I recall reading that the developers didn’t want the swastika to become a rallying point or create controversy but within the context of the campaign, it’s obviously a sobering and important reminder of what happened 75-80 years ago.

The false equivalency between the symbol of the Nazis and Rick Vaughn's hat is indeed a major-league one

Just a friendly reminder, folks. We're not here to debate Chief Wahoo. You all know the rules. 

Thanks. 

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

The false equivalency between the symbol of the Nazis and Rick Vaughn's hat is indeed a major-league one

I wasn't trying to equate the symbols, just trying to find an example of a video game, sold as entertainment rather than a teacher of history, that used imagery that could potentially be white washed.  Basically, I don't think you can erase what happened, but a MLB video game isn't a history book, it's a video game that's sold to kids for profit.  I don't mind them erasing it from something like that.

Back to MLB - Eddie Murray is a weird case.  He played 13 years in Baltimore, but bounced around for 8 years after that.  That's a lot of bouncing.  He hit 504 HRs, but that's only because he held on just barely long enough to get 500 (finished with seasons of 3, 3, 0).  He was great for a long time, but then shamelessly just drug his carcass along just to get to 500.

Wasn't there still a new road uniform set that was supposed to be revealed relatively late in the preseason?  Or was that the Pirates?  Not much to talk about from a uniform front.

Also uniform related - should we expect some kind of memorial patch or ribbon for victims of Covid-19? Even while the season is underway, there's still going to be people getting it and dying from it (just hopefully at a much lower rate.)  Or do people just want sports back as a distraction enough that they'd rather there not be any kind of reminder on the uniforms or fields?