MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

I understand why there is a cactus for the Cactus League.  I don’t understand why there is an Orange for the Grapefruit League

Is that the color of a cactus? I think it is supposed to be a grapefruit, not an orange.

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

Is that the color of a cactus? I think it is supposed to be a grapefruit, not an orange.

That’s an excellent point. That’s not a cactus.  It’s something you’d see living in a coral reef.  Also you can’t use the color orange to depict a grapefruit. From a graphics point of view you now have a picture of an orange instead of a grapefruit.  I would accept yellow or ruby red for grapefruit. 

On 9/10/2019 at 9:31 AM, RichO said:

Yeah, the way they were dripping this out here and there during the year, you could see it coming.

It's a clever way to add something a little retro without trying to do a throwback to the late 80s look that no one reallly would be into, while not messing with the core of the primary uniforms. And hopefully it's a way to migrate away from the early 80s stuff for at least a couple years.

If this could replace the red/blue 1983 Sox uni in the rotation, I am 100% behind it.

In Chicago, it was pretty apparent something was afloat.  That wordmark was all over the Sox marketing material this year, from the yearbook to the pocket schedules.  All of the stadium giveaways had the wordmark.  Even our kids' youth baseball league used those jerseys (the Sox supply jerseys every year with one of their logos).

On 1/27/2019 at 11:07 PM, ANGELCAT-IDA61 said:

Yes they would. As for the Milwaukee Brewers, why not make their Friday Night pinstripes the primary home and go royal and yellow gold full time, with a powder blue road uniform with the old Milwaukee cursive wordmark in a button down version. I would love the Angels to go with a gold Halo and lose the silver drop shadow on their home and red alternate jerseys. I'm surprised they have not done so yet, except for the 2011 season. However, I doubt the Angels will make any tweaks to their uniforms any time soon. By the way, I read  a thread back in November that the Cleveland Indians have a rebrand "in the works" for the 2020 season. That was when they unveiled their 2 new alternate jerseys for 2019. I picture the Philadelphia Phillies bringing back maroon full time in 2020 or 2021.Finally, it would be cool if the Athletics went with Kelly green and brought back the "A's" on their primary home jerseys with Kelly/gold/Kelly head spoon piping and the same color piping on their sleeves, along with a grey road jersey with the 1984-1986 "Oakland" wordmark. Anyways, I can't wait to see the Padres new uniforms for the 2020 season.

On 1/27/2019 at 5:58 PM, ANGELCAT-IDA61 said:

I bet the Cleveland Indians will be other mlb team to get a rebrand in 2020. I also see the Oakland Athletics going with Kelly green full time in 2020 and the Milwaukee Brewers finally getting a rebrand as well. We all know the Padres will get new uniforms in 2020. 

The Brewers arent going back to royal and yellow/gold throwbacks full-time.  Way too much merchandise revenue theyd lose out on by going back, and those throwbacks are best as throwbacks anyways.  If they change, its gonna be completely new and tbh I dont think many would like the change.  If they do anything, it's a minimal tweak to the current set.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 9/11/2019 at 12:30 AM, Gothamite said:

I like the current one much better. 

spacer.png

I really don't see what this new wordmark (and alphabet) bring to the White Sox set other than muddying up an otherwise solid brand.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the league pushed them to add a name wordmark for branding purposes. They had been using the 80s SOX one on the MLB Network.

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

In other words, the 1987-1990 home script?

I've done a tweak to make it match more.

ZInhPlk.png

Just like the Mets' '87 script and the Brewers' 1978-89 "Milwaukee" script, not everything needs a tail.

I'd like to reserve it for a jacket, a la the "Yankees" script outerwear.

21 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

The Brewers arent going back to royal and yellow/gold throwbacks full-time.  Way too much merchandise revenue theyd lose out on by going back, and those throwbacks are best as throwbacks anyways.  If they change, its gonna be completely new and tbh I dont think many would like the change.  If they do anything, it's a minimal tweak to the current set.

Ya know what... Nevermind, go back to the BiG.  Theres just been way too many times ive worn my M w/ wheat Brewers hat and someone thought I was a Mariners fan... 

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

The White Sox chipped away at their identity over the years, removing the diamond sock patch and the pants stripes from the road set, but it remains an overall strong identity. The strongest they've had in their existence.

I'm not sure what this new wordmark adds to anything. The best I can say about it is that it's a good faux-back design but a team with the history (and uniform history!) of the White Sox shouldn't be resorting to faux-back designs anyway.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:34 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I've done a tweak to make it match more.

ZInhPlk.png

Just like the Mets' '87 script and the Brewers' 1978-89 "Milwaukee" script, not everything needs a tail.

I'd like to reserve it for a jacket, a la the "Yankees" script outerwear.

I like what you’ve done, but I prefer the design with the tail.

Great suggestion to use this script on their dugout jacket! I’d buy one right away.

The Sox really have chipped away.  The diamond sock on the sleeve of the road greys should be put back, in addition to the tuxedo stripe on the pants.

The '83 unis and "batterman" logo needs to go away from all unis (even batting practice and spring training).

And, in terms of alternate wordmarks, when the they brought the new set online back in '90 and '91, they used this on marketing materials:

spacer.png

and

spacer.png

Agree with all that. The White Sox shouldn't deviate from what they won the World Series in. The extent to which they already have is a problem -- roll back the road uniforms. It could work on dugout jackets but I don't want them wearing this tailed script on their home uniforms. And enough is enough with the 1983 stuff.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On one hand, I like that their gimmick used to be that they change every 4 or 5 years.  On the other hand, what they've had for the past 30 years is great.

One thing I know for sure is that in my opinion, two-word names don't mix with tales.  I feel the same about when the Mets used "New York" with a tail - the non-taled version was light years better.

I remember the 1989 SI baseball preview from when I was a kid.  I'll never forget it, because it had a whole section on baseball uniforms, and called out the White Sox for how often they changed "Lots of Sox".  You can see at the bottom of these pages how they included all the Okkonen images that are now on Dtt9s.

Sports_Illustrated_702464_19890405-116-2Sports_Illustrated_702464_19890405-117-2Sports_Illustrated_702464_19890405-118-2Sports_Illustrated_702464_19890405-119-2Sports_Illustrated_702464_19890405-120-2Sports_Illustrated_702464_19890405-121-2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

25 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

“Baseball and basic brown just don’t work.”

Welp.

I think that's sillly.  The only problem I see with 'basic brown' is if the brown tops blend in too much with the diamond dirt, but I doubt that'll happen since the dirt is usually much lighter.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived