MLB Changes 2020

kimball

21 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Watching 1995 Angels/Orioles on ESPN; Angels looked so good, Orioles looked above average. Wish we had HD back then. 

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought ESPN was having problems with their signal.

What the hell did they use to record that game? A potato?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought ESPN was having problems with their signal.

What the hell did they use to record that game? A potato?

It’s almost like ESPN lost the original tapes (not sure how you could be that careless with a monumental game) and had to rely on someone’s old VHS tape recording. 

XM4KeeA.png

4 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

#7 is still on the Friday night cap.  The return of the cartoon bird brought success 2012-16, but it also was worn in 2018-19, two of the worst seasons since the move to Baltimore in '54.

Fair point, but #7 seems to be almost negligible in their current identity, which is overshadowed by the cartoon bird. I actually hadn't even realized they were still wearing it on caps occasionally. But it seemed to have a very prominent role in the team's identity from the 2005 to 2011 seasons, which were awful years for the franchise. Sure, the last couple of seasons have sort of tainted the cartoon bird era, but at least there's been some good (2012-2016) in the mix too.

17 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Fair point, but #7 seems to be almost negligible in their current identity, which is overshadowed by the cartoon bird. I actually hadn't even realized they were still wearing it on caps occasionally. But it seemed to have a very prominent role in the team's identity from the 2005 to 2011 seasons, which were awful years for the franchise. Sure, the last couple of seasons have sort of tainted the cartoon bird era, but at least there's been some good (2012-2016) in the mix too.

Agreed on the cartoon bird.  O's fans were begging for it to return during the 14 year losing streak '98-'11.

22 hours ago, insert name said:

It’s almost like ESPN lost the original tapes (not sure how you could be that careless with a monumental game) and had to rely on someone’s old VHS tape recording. 

A lot of monumental sports broadcasts have been lost (Wilt's 100-point game, for example) while many others were thought lost (Super Bowl I, 1960 WS Game 7). You think as late as 1995 there would have been many backups but maybe at the time it was assumed there wouldn't be a huge market for archiving games (since it was still largely the pre-Internet era).

1 minute ago, Quillz said:

A lot of monumental sports broadcasts have been lost (Wilt's 100-point game, for example) while many others were thought lost (Super Bowl I, 1960 WS Game 7). You think as late as 1995 there would have been many backups but maybe at the time it was assumed there wouldn't be a huge market for archiving games (since it was still largely the pre-Internet era).

With the 1995 one, my guess is that it's likely a licensing issue with MLB's copy, ESPN using their own inferior archival copy, or even poor storage of the tape leading to degradation (it doesn't usually happen that quickly, but hey, this was still the age of analog tape - I don't think American networks used digital video for broadcasting until the early- to mid-'00s). 

This ends up being such a circular argument whenever it comes up on the boards, so I hesitate to do anything that would even give the inkling I want to argue this again, but that hat is just another stupid thing that happens as a result of the team using Los Angeles but then not fully committing to Los Angeles (for the record, I am pro-Anaheim).

IbjBaeE.png

6 hours ago, monkeypower said:

This ends up being such a circular argument whenever it comes up on the boards, so I hesitate to do anything that would even give the inkling I want to argue this again, but that hat is just another stupid thing that happens as a result of the team using Los Angeles but then not fully committing to Los Angeles (for the record, I am pro-Anaheim).

They no longer officially have the "of Anaheim" in their name as it's no longer required as part of their agreement with the city of Anaheim.

Anubis.png

To not start another war but why haven’t the Angels done anything to embrace LOS ANGELES? It’s been 15 years since the name change and there’s never been a jersey, a logo, or anything. 
I think that’s what bothers me the most. You wanna be an LA team so badly yet refuse to use its name in anything. 

XM4KeeA.png

6 minutes ago, insert name said:

To not start another war but why haven’t the Angels done anything to embrace LOS ANGELES? It’s been 15 years since the name change and there’s never been a jersey, a logo, or anything. 
I think that’s what bothers me the most. You wanna be an LA team so badly yet refuse to use its name in anything. 

It's what I call decisive indecision. They want to be LA so they call themselves the Los Angeles Angels. But they can't market themselves as LA or risk alienating Anaheimers, you know, the people that actually support them. So they bank off the fact that them being on their 4th geographic identifier since 1966, despite not moving anywhere since then, being confusing enough that saying ":censored: it, we're just the Angels" is enough to build an identity off of, not knowing they don't have nearly enough brand equity to pull it off. It's truly a show of incompetence 

That was the one thing that intrigued me about the exploration of relocating to Long Beach: they could finally be a Los Angeles team in earnest and stop being the team from nowhere. Of course, the logistics of shoehorning a stadium into Long Beach turned out to be categorically insane. Ah well!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

They no longer officially have the "of Anaheim" in their name as it's no longer required as part of their agreement with the city of Anaheim.

Yeah... I think most people are aware of that by now, me included.

But even the way they dropped "of Anaheim" is another show of them not fully publicly committing to LA. IIRC, Chris was really the one who broke the story through the mothership because he noticed they changed from "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" to "Los Angeles Angels" in the 2017 style guide. He also said the change had been done before the 2016 season, so they had been just Los Angeles for a season and a half before anybody was made aware as there had been no announcement from the team, they had just quietly updated their Twitter bio and some headings on their website.

3 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

It's what I call decisive indecision. They want to be LA so they call themselves the Los Angeles Angels. But they can't market themselves as LA or risk alienating Anaheimers, you know, the people that actually support them. So they bank off the fact that them being on their 4th geographic identifier since 1966, despite not moving anywhere since then, being confusing enough that saying ":censored: it, we're just the Angels" is enough to build an identity off of, not knowing they don't have nearly enough brand equity to pull it off. It's truly a show of incompetence 

That's pretty much it. The change was almost cosmetic and really only for outside of Anaheim. It says LAA on other team's out-of-town scoreboards, the home team PA announcer will refer to them as the "Los Angeles Angels" when the Angels are visiting and it says Los Angeles on standings and in boxscores. There's no mention of Los Angeles in Angel Stadium or on the merchandise. Arte also wanted Los Angeles so the team could be more of a part of the Los Angeles media market, and I can't speak to how well that worked, but that always stood out as weird to me because everybody knows they're still the same team that never left Anaheim.

(I know someone might swoop in here with the same Jets/Giants/Bills/49ers argument, but it's not an exact comparison because of the city and the history of each of these teams. That or the Orange County isn't a real place and used to be (or maybe still is?) racist, which I never found really factored into this discussion)

IbjBaeE.png

8 hours ago, insert name said:

I don't know why they don't bring back their original LA cap logo. It's rarely for sale even as a throwback.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, monkeypower said:

There's a line of (ugly and odd) New Era hats called Boxed Wordmark which "features an embroidered city name at the front panels". Well, at least it does for 29 teams. 

9472113704990.png

I want to say 6-7 teams got it right. City name up front, so why are so many teams using their city name script type logo for the side too? 

We have the  Angels Angels. We have the Miami miamis. The Cleveland Indians. The Colorado Colorado Rockies lol. I truly hate redundancy in design. Minnesotsa Minnesota’s, even though they have a great TWINS wordmark. 

yikes guys. 

any idea if mlb will release the jerseys and specialty cap info this year for the special events. 

Archived