MLB Changes 2020

kimball

4 hours ago, MattMill said:

any idea if mlb will release the jerseys and specialty cap info this year for the special events. 

Literally came here to ask this EXACT thing. Currently wearing a Dodgers Stars & Stripes cap from 2018 I believe...

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MattMill said:

any idea if mlb will release the jerseys and specialty cap info this year for the special events. 

It’ll depend on how/if the season plays out. Mothers Day is a month away and if the MLB doesn’t play I wouldn’t imagine they’d put out the specialty items (Mothers/Fathers Day, 4th of July, Military Theme, etc) if the season isn’t being played through those holidays of at all.

1 minute ago, WBeltz said:

It’ll depend on how/if the season plays out. Mothers Day is a month away and if the MLB doesn’t play I wouldn’t imagine they’d put out the specialty items (Mothers/Fathers Day, 4th of July, Military Theme, etc) if the season isn’t being played through those holidays of at all.

Part of me thinks they'll still do a short run of caps for those holidays. The least they'll do is 4th of july. 

Do we even know to what extent (if any) New Era's production has been impacted by this?  Didn't they move everything from US to China?

EDIT: regardless of where the production is, wouldn't it likely be impacted?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/12/2020 at 4:15 PM, MattMill said:

I want to say 6-7 teams got it right. City name up front, so why are so many teams using their city name script type logo for the side too? 

We have the  Angels Angels. We have the Miami miamis. The Cleveland Indians. The Colorado Colorado Rockies lol. I truly hate redundancy in design. Minnesotsa Minnesota’s, even though they have a great TWINS wordmark. 

yikes guys. 

I read on this board semi-recently that any officially licensed MLB march that uses a partial logo needs to then use the full logo smaller elsewhere in the design, which explains a lot of the dumb-looking redundancy you see on the graphic tees and fashion caps et al. Wonder if this is a similar rule. (The Angels obsessiveness about being Los Angeles and then not being Los Angeles is its own mystery.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The MLB and MLB The Show are doing a player's tournament where each team has a player representative playing as the team.

Bo Bichette is the Blue Jays player and I just saw a clip of one of his games where his Jays are wearing the current hat and road pants with the Black Jays black alternate jersey. That's got to be sacrilegious right?

IbjBaeE.png

22 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Based on what a cash grab these themed items are, they'd probably release them play or no play.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I read on this board semi-recently that any officially licensed MLB march that uses a partial logo needs to then use the full logo smaller elsewhere in the design, which explains a lot of the dumb-looking redundancy you see on the graphic tees and fashion caps et al.

I don’t think we know that.  It was somebody’s speculation.

It’s not a bad rule, if it is a rule.  Very few companies allow standalone partial logos in their brand guidelines.  But we don’t know for sure.

I have an Angels sweater that has an Angels logo on the front, but it's got a California flag design inside the logo (if that makes any sense). There's a little Angels logo to the side at the bottom that's coloured to camouflage into the red of the sweater. 

In saying that, I also have an Anaheim Ducks sweater that has a metallic looking effect on the logo with a smaller white Ducks logo to the side at the bottom.

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t think we know that.  It was somebody’s speculation.

It’s not a bad rule, if it is a rule.  Very few companies allow standalone partial logos in their brand guidelines.  But we don’t know for sure.

I can confirm that it is part of merchandising guidelines.

While I'm not certain about other apparel producers, I can confirm it's a rule to be followed by New Era and Nike. This has been the case since at least 2012, during which time I was working in sports retail management. I first encountered the rule while working with a company to acquire Nike's line of Cooperstown Collection shirts. Not the exact style shown below, but the same idea.

4061920?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1

On 4/9/2020 at 10:21 AM, Bill81361 said:

Agreed on the cartoon bird.  O's fans were begging for it to return during the 14 year losing streak '98-'11.

Cartoon bird is my favorite Oriole look of all time.  I even bought a cartoon bird hat and t-shirt despite not being an O's fan because I love the logo.  I hope they never go back to the bird from 89'-2011.

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Thank you. 

I mean, the rule does make sense.  No company would allow their logo to be chopped up and presented piecemeal all on its own. Every brand guideline I’ve ever seen includes that prohibition.  

feels like a letter vs. spirit of the law thing, though... like in the case of the fashion shirt presented above, clearly the choppiness is the point, for fashion reasons, and nonetheless you know who it’s for... and the tiny full logos just look like weird plopped-on afterthoughts to the overall graphic design.

like yeah, I’ve never worked with a logo that’s supposed to be chopped or presented weirdly, but I’m also not the brand that intends to put out dozens of variations on merch designs per year?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The chopped up nature is the sticking point. One can have the entire logo in PINK and it would fit the guidelines/parameters. You can have the full logo, plus other weird city type pizza or palm tree patches, and that too would fit the bill.  You can have a mini LA logo or a supersized logo, and both would be fine if it was the entire logo. 

I think they got a bit lazy with those wordmark hats. Some teams had the team name in the new era database, while others did not put their uniform jersey wordmarks into the same database.  They’re not gonna force or ask or entice the marlins to use their marlins wordmark, so they went with what was available. Or maybe both were available.  To me, if you can’t get it right, scrap the whole project. For a team like the twins, maybe only their roundel was available. So they couldn't just take the twins part out; they would need to include it all. 

just like these new flag script hats

https://www.neweracap.com/SPORTS/PITTSBURGH-PIRATES-FLAG-59FIFTY-FITTED/p/12504922

the cap logo is on there in a tonal almost invisible nature. But that counts more than a partial logo does. 

Both sides want to blame the other for these restricted decisions. 

Today is Jackie Robinson day. Neweracap has the new 2020 caps

https://www.neweracap.com/search/?text=Jackie+Robinson+day+

They appear to have a team color patch vs. all of the teams using a blue diamond and blue 42 from prior years. 

edit: it looks like they also have their own teams number font for 42. Definitely a decent unique touch. I can’t say I would spend $41 for one of those made overseas turds. But the special caps are popping up slowly. 

I know I'm in the minority, especially with other Orioles fans, but I don't like the cartoon bird logo.  It was a product of its (original) time - though I guess you could argue that the team has become a cartoon on the field.  

Also, the white-panel home hat, I can't describe how much I dislike it.  It screams '70s softball and paired with a cartoon logo, just looks so amateurish.  The road caps with the orange brim are tolerable for me, but man, I really wish they'd do away with both features.  I've got my fingers crossed that when the rebuild is complete and the team is (hopefully) competitive again that we'll get an update.

Archived