kimball

MLB Changes 2020

The cartoon bird is atrocious, a blemish on the great Earl Weaver system. The realistic birds were better but still bad. There should be a B on the cap, always should have been. Maybe a B that does cool spirally wruoght-iron things. I'd draw one if I were any good at it.

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The cartoon bird is atrocious, a blemish on the great Earl Weaver system. The realistic birds were better but still bad. There should be a B on the cap, always should have been. Maybe a B that does cool spirally wruoght-iron things. I'd draw one if I were any good at it.

While I usually prefer city initals on hats. The O's hat was pretty cool imo. I also liked the realistic bird better than the cartoon bird.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

They already have this great logo in their history:

baltimore-orioles-1955-coop-hat-20370.jp

Good but not great, the Old English steps on Detroit's toes. Gotta be something unique.

I'll start by saying I really like the cartoon bird.

But if you're looking for a B hat logo, what about just taking the B from the Baltimore jersey script?

5ggf6j2ee2g9qlk7hwgr0n7a8.gif

Just now, the admiral said:

Good but not great, the Old English steps on Detroit's toes. Gotta be something unique.

Cursive B, then (that's my design).

v4OMEHa.png?1 CHfygiV.png?1

If they were to have a B monogrammed cap, using the B from the road Baltimore makes a lot of sense and looks unique enough to stand on its own. 

22 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Detroit doesn't have a copyright on it.

No obviously not, but B and D are similar shaped letters and putting them in a similar font would be stepping pretty hard on Detroit's toes.

You'd also crossing into Birmingham Barons territory too.

Michael-Jordan.jpg?id=01bb9595-776a-4cb9

Yeah, but that’s the same argument people make about the Yankees and Mets.

Similar letters are going to look similar. Don’t think that’s a real issue, especially with a minor league club.  Even if they are borrowing an historic name. 

On 4/12/2020 at 2:36 AM, insert name said:

To not start another war but why haven’t the Angels done anything to embrace LOS ANGELES? It’s been 15 years since the name change and there’s never been a jersey, a logo, or anything. 
I think that’s what bothers me the most. You wanna be an LA team so badly yet refuse to use its name in anything. 

Its a pretty classic case of trying to please everyone, yet not actually pleasing anyone. 

5 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

Its a pretty classic case of trying to please everyone, yet not actually pleasing anyone. 

Absolutely.  Moreno should have just ripped off the band-aid. 

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Absolutely.  Moreno should have just let it be or moved within LA County.

Fixed.

I didn't expect to get upset when I clicked on this thread (re: negative comments about the Cartoon Bird).

With so many baseball teams wearing a letter on their cap, it's a nice to change of pace for the Orioles to wear a bird logo. I'm surprised people are against the concept. Disagreement on cartoon vs realistic, I understand. But not wanting a bird on the cap at all? Nonsense!

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They already have this great logo in their history:

baltimore-orioles-1955-coop-hat-20370.jp

When did they wear this? I looked it up and it says 1955, but I didn’t find any pictures of players wearing it.

1 minute ago, Walter Sobchak said:

When did they wear this? I looked it up and it says 1955, but I didn’t find any pictures of players wearing it.

I think it was a batting helmet logo only.

14 minutes ago, Bmac said:

With so many baseball teams wearing a letter on their cap, it's a nice to change of pace for the Orioles to wear a bird logo. I'm surprised people are against the concept. Disagreement on cartoon vs realistic, I understand. But not wanting a bird on the cap at all? Nonsense!

I agree, I like the bird on the cap.  The B would be nice for an alternate (replace the O's cap), but I don't think it's strong enough for the primary cap logo.