MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never heard of italics being minor league. Does this mean bold is major league? Where does underlining fit in? People have odd definitions of what makes something minor or major league.

If it's an element on a major league identity, then by definition it's major league.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There are no rules - teams can put pretty much whatever they want on a cap, so long as they think it's marketable.  Logo, monogram, anything.

Well of course, that's not what I meant. I was wondering more like teams such as Baltimore which never attempted a monogram logo. Maybe they felt it was harder to design a strong monogram (no interlocking letters, for example).

I'm not feeling the cast-iron B. Now don't get me wrong, I think the Orioles should certainly have a B cap logo. None of their cap logos- even the realistic birds I prefer- have been "good."

Still? I think I prefer the Old English "B" or the wordmark "B". The cast iron ones just get too cute for their own good.

Also I really like @SFGiants58's take on the Astros. I'm unsure if it would work well today, but it's a far preferable update over what we actually got in the 90s and 2000s.

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Also I really like @SFGiants58's take on the Astros. I'm unsure if it would work well today, but it's a far preferable update over what we actually got in the 90s and 2000s.

Thank you. My whole goal would be easier if the team did more “space age”/“Star Trek: TOS” stuff in the stadium and with the uniforms. Shameless self-plug: 

c4Hl7Su.png

The shooting star design is so much better and more team-appropriate than the slab-serif boredom of the “trash can code” uniforms.

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

Well of course, that's not what I meant. I was wondering more like teams such as Baltimore which never attempted a monogram logo. Maybe they felt it was harder to design a strong monogram (no interlocking letters, for example).

No idea.  

The Orioles experimented with a “B” but never settled on it for long before bringing back their bird. 

Maybe because the bird is such an identifiable image, easy to depict and easy to grasp. Teams in Baltimore used a bird going way back to the 1930s, while at the same time a club like the Milwaukee Brewers was content to use a single-letter monogram.

10 hours ago, IceCap said:

I'm not feeling the cast-iron B. Now don't get me wrong, I think the Orioles should certainly have a B cap logo. None of their cap logos- even the realistic birds I prefer- have been "good."

Still? I think I prefer the Old English "B" or the wordmark "B". The cast iron ones just get too cute for their own good.

It's nothing I'm particularly married to, I just felt that it had to be some new approach that would separate them from not only the Red Sox and the Giants but also whatever other teams are doing. And it's Baltimore, so it can't look particularly modern. What I don't like about how it turned out is that it looks like there's an E inside the B. That'd be cool for a utility called "Baltimore Electric" but it distracted me here more than I initially cared to admit.

(Whisper words of wisdom) Wordmark B could work, and it's obviously the most harmonious with everything else in the set, far more than a wrought-iron letter that occurs absolutely nowhere else in the package, but sometimes it looks kind of small and insignificant by itself, if that makes any sense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thank you. My whole goal would be easier if the team did more “space age”/“Star Trek: TOS” stuff in the stadium and with the uniforms. Shameless self-plug: 

c4Hl7Su.png

The shooting star design is so much better and more team-appropriate than the slab-serif boredom of the “trash can code” uniforms.

That's awesome, but the block font doesn't go with it.  It's like half old half new.  I hate it when teams have a cool font for the logo but use a traditional font for the numbers. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

40 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That's awesome, but the block font doesn't go with it.  It's like half old half new.  I hate it when teams have a cool font for the logo but use a traditional font for the numbers. 

On the contrary, it “grounds” the design from being too crazy.

The wrought-iron B thing feels like a thing that's very much married to its material. Tough to port that aesthetic to digital graphics or embroidery, and I can't really think of a good analogue -- the Motre Bame Brewers, maybe? Or the old Dodgers' B, I guess, kinda fits that mold.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 4/20/2020 at 11:20 AM, Digby said:

The wrought-iron B thing feels like a thing that's very much married to its material. Tough to port that aesthetic to digital graphics or embroidery, and I can't really think of a good analogue -- the Motre Bame Brewers, maybe? Or the old Dodgers' B, I guess, kinda fits that mold.

True enough - I have heard this referred to as "wrought iron" more than once.

7599368%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

I find it refreshing that the Orioles have a logo-based rather than letter-based insignia and hope it stays that way. It's a nice change of pace from the rest of the league. I'm also much more accepting of the "realistic" bird than most here seem to be.

5 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I find it refreshing that the Orioles have a logo-based rather than letter-based insignia and hope it stays that way. It's a nice change of pace from the rest of the league. I'm also much more accepting of the "realistic" bird than most here seem to be.

I like the mid-90's bird the most out of all the realistic birds. The last one, which was tweaked for a few season, was pretty good too.

My biggest issue with the realistic birds is that their thin orange outline would fade against the O's black caps. Those logos never popped as much as the cartoon birds do on caps. 

10 hours ago, selgy said:

If the 2020 season gets delayed completely. 

Do you think that any proposed 2021 uniforms changes will be delayed till 2022 to give this years uniforms (Brewers/Padres,etc) a year to be "new"? 

No.

It's where I sit.

Not sure where to put it, but I saw that the Ancient One of the CCSLC was a contributor to a discussion of the best MLB unis ever worn in The Athletic. Here are some excerpts from his comments.

Creamer: If you ask any baseball fan to name their favorite uniforms, usually you’re going to get at least three different types of answers. You’re going to get the fans who are the homer, who just love whatever their team wore. They love what they watched when they were a kid and when they first fell in love with baseball and it’s a special feeling for them regardless of whether the uniform was actually a great design or not. 

Creamer: Then, you also have the fans who just love classics, like the Yankees or the Cubs. You look back at all the legends who played the game, they’re always wearing those uniforms, and that’s going to stand out, again, regardless of whether the design was great or not.

Creamer: Then there’s those who just love the oddball uniforms, the uniforms that broke the rules like the A’s in their green and their gold back in the ’70s, the Pirates. These uniforms could be as ugly as possible and these fans just love them because they’re so out there.

"The first time anyone says, ‘What’s a baseball uniform?’ in my mind, I go right to the Yankees,” Creamer said. “That’s a baseball uniform. You can’t top it — the pinstripes, the NY logo, the cap that you’ll see everywhere around the world.”

Archived