MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/12/2019 at 6:20 PM, itsmb8 said:

The Brewers arent going back to royal and yellow/gold throwbacks full-time.  Way too much merchandise revenue theyd lose out on by going back, and those throwbacks are best as throwbacks anyways.  If they change, its gonna be completely new and tbh I dont think many would like the change.  If they do anything, it's a minimal tweak to the current set.

What are you basing that on?  It's not like their current brand is a high bar to clear.  And I think most would be satisfied if the marks at their spring training facility were the basis for a new brand.

Why would a team established in the year 1900 create a fauxback? I got it and appreciated it for what it was when the Rays, established in 1998, put out a 70's/80's style fauxback... that was fun and creative and generally well done and was never overused either. But a team that has over 100 years of history has no business creating fake throwbacks, there's no need for it considering how many real throwback options they do have.

24 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Why would a team established in the year 1900 create a fauxback? I got it and appreciated it for what it was when the Rays, established in 1998, put out a 70's/80's style fauxback... that was fun and creative and generally well done and was never overused either. But a team that has over 100 years of history has no business creating fake throwbacks, there's no need for it considering how many real throwback options they do have.

To which team are you referring?

I wouldn't call it a fauxback so much as a new logo that's just as much inspired by traditional baseball design as the rest of the Sox' set. They're not contriving to do a Ye Olde Whited Socks thing that never could have existed. It doesn't fit perfectly with their other cursive script, but it fits conceptually.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd call it a fauxback for just that reason - it was specifically designed to appear retro, to look like one of their old wordmarks without actually being one of their old wordmarks.

I have no problem with fauxbacks in general, but I still don't know what the point of this particular one is.

I guess the White Sox have never described it as a fauxback but someone on here used the word fauxback the other day and I was just floored that a team from 1900 would bother with a fauxback but as Gothamite says I think it does still fit the definition of a fauxback even if it isn't as obvious as what the Rays did.

33 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I guess the White Sox have never described it as a fauxback but someone on here used the word fauxback the other day and I was just floored that a team from 1900 would bother with a fauxback but as Gothamite says I think it does still fit the definition of a fauxback even if it isn't as obvious as what the Rays did.

Does a fauxback need to be an alt to qualify? I am guessing so because the late 80's versions went reached back to borrow from the WWII era uniforms, yet weren't called "fauxbacks". The same goes for the late 70's uniforms which borrowed heavily from several past uniforms, especially regarding the wordmark. 

My opinion is that this "new" wordmark is something of a brand refinement. A brand encapsulates the vision, values, feel, etc. of an organization by visually communicating its personality. The old Comiskey era Sox had a definite personality which has been, for better or worse, sanitized since the move to the (then) new stadium. I don't know if such a refinement its the intent of the team or designer but I think the effect is to tap back into that a little. Is that "faux"?  I really don't know but to me "faux" means "fake" whereas the feel of the 1970's-1980's team was very real. Is it a good strategy to tap back into that? I don't know that either. In fact, I don't even know if such an attempt will work or be attractive and well received. I guess we will see...

is it confirmed that the swoosh will be on the jersey next year?  For some reason I have 2020 stuck in my mind.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, axiom20xx said:

ugh, was looking forward to getting a couple Authentics of the new Pads uniforms but idk with them being flex base still. that tail just doesn't look right when a fan is wearing it.

as long as it isnt pinstripes, it's fine(to me, of course)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived