kimball

MLB Changes 2020

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

Didn't they pick brown and yellow?

Here's the thing: the Padres have never stuck with one look for more than a decade. They always change the colors, or the template, or something else. Their only consistency is in how inconsistent they've been. Let's see the Padres stick with their latest colors and template for more than a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Here's the thing: the Padres have never stuck with one look for more than a decade. They always change the colors, or the template, or something else. Their only consistency is in how inconsistent they've been. Let's see the Padres stick with their latest colors and template for more than a decade.

 

After finally giving the fans what they want, it seems a little churlish to say "We don't like what you did before you did the right thing."  I think we should enjoy what we have now before looking for trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, it's nice that the Brewers picked something. 

 

But they picked wrong.


They went navy and yellow.  They committed to the BiG.  They worked cream into their identity.  They updated Barrel Man and the M-Wisconsin.  None of these were "wrong," IMO.  It's the particulars of how they did some of these things that is the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NicDB said:

They went navy and yellow.  They committed to the BiG.  They worked cream into their identity.  They updated Barrel Man and the M-Wisconsin.  None of these were "wrong," IMO.  It's the particulars of how they did some of these things that is the issue.


And they got all the particulars wrong. 
 

Just like the Rams went for brighter colors. They brought back a simpler ram head without the steroid neck and 90s grimace.  They returned the horns to the shoulders.  None of those were “wrong”, either, in the broadest sense.  
 

But just like the Brewers, the Rams made a series of increasingly poor decisions when it came to the particulars.  For both, the logo is bad, the uniforms are an incoherent and inconsistent mess, and even the most identifiable and iconic features of the old versions got pointless “improvements” that seem to be less about good design and more about the current people in charge putting their stamp on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, the previous wordmarks suited the Brewers fairly well in my opinion; the big thing for me was the color scheme that set had completely killed them. Navy blue, metallic gold and gray is about the most boring color scheme imaginable. I actually think they have a fair bit of potential if cleaned up a bit (ie: removing the drop shadow and using an outline) and given the proper Brewers colors;

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black and metallic gold is a really bad color scheme for me. I think of when the Capitals and Stars were moribund franchises that had lost all direction:

 

bradrichards.jpeg

 

A sad, dying team just floating in the void.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Black and metallic gold is a really bad color scheme for me. I think of when the Capitals and Stars were moribund franchises that had lost all direction:

 

bradrichards.jpeg

 

A sad, dying team just floating in the void.

To be fair, at least that era for the Capitals introduced a proper logo for the team; and the Caps weren't consistently abysmal in that era, since they made the Finals for the only time before 2018 in those colors. Never been a fan of the Caps just...using the team name as their logo. It looks silly to have all these teams with interesting logos and just "WASHINGTON CAPITALS" in some stylized text right in the middle of it. And black wasn't even their primary color until the 2000's rolled around; they were a blue dominant team for a fair bit of that time, including said Finals run.

 

They might have even won the Cup that year had it not been for the unfortunate timing of coming up against the unstoppable force of the Detroit Red Wings. I'd love for them to go back to the Screaming Eagle in the modern colors; it just won't happen, because the wordmark jersey is now the one associated with the Cup.

 

Dallas, though, they really :censored:ed up moving away from the star cut. I get why, but it was really not a good look to go from a beloved uniform that won a Stanley Cup to something you'd see in a lower-division NCAA team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

 I get why, but it was really not a good look to go from a beloved uniform that won a Stanley Cup to something you'd see in a lower-division NCAA team.

 

Close, bottom tier D1.

 

_big_7433232.jpeg?width=400&height=400&m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Dallas, though, they really :censored:ed up moving away from the star cut. I get why, but it was really not a good look to go from a beloved uniform that won a Stanley Cup to something you'd see in a lower-division NCAA team.

 

We got an amazing uniform out of that poor decision, producing the best set in the club's history (yes, including all of Minnesota):

 

th?id=OIP.dEphuOuabD9phRlb5xw6cwHaDi%26p

 

Granted, the North Stars would've looked better if they'd just... ****ing... obeyed... the laws... OF TINCTURE... (credit @TheLAKnight)

 

CU4pMeT.png

Dark Kelly Green (like "Victory Green") and Yellow (or Athletic Gold), where white and yellow never touch, would've been amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 9:48 PM, Ridleylash said:

Honestly, the previous wordmarks suited the Brewers fairly well in my opinion; the big thing for me was the color scheme that set had completely killed them. Navy blue, metallic gold and gray is about the most boring color scheme imaginable. I actually think they have a fair bit of potential if cleaned up a bit (ie: removing the drop shadow and using an outline) and given the proper Brewers colors;

spacer.png

 

Can't agree with you there, my friend.  Those wordmarks are hideous in any color scheme. 

 

Dropping the extra dropshadow is only putting a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 8:25 PM, Gothamite said:


And they got all the particulars wrong. 
 

Just like the Rams went for brighter colors. They brought back a simpler ram head without the steroid neck and 90s grimace.  They returned the horns to the shoulders.  None of those were “wrong”, either, in the broadest sense.  
 

But just like the Brewers, the Rams made a series of increasingly poor decisions when it came to the particulars.  For both, the logo is bad, the uniforms are an incoherent and inconsistent mess, and even the most identifiable and iconic features of the old versions got pointless “improvements” that seem to be less about good design and more about the current people in charge putting their stamp on the team.

 

Are you seriously comparing the Brewers redesign to THE RAMS......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, itsmb8 said:

Are you seriously comparing the Brewers redesign to THE RAMS......


Yep.  Because they have an awful lot in common.  They each made the same mistakes for possibly different reasons (I’m not aware of Kroenke’s kids being involved in the process).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least the Brewers look respectable and are by most counts an improvement on their previous set. The Rams, really are not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, Gothamite said:

 

Can't agree with you there, my friend.  Those wordmarks are hideous in any color scheme. 

 

Dropping the extra dropshadow is only putting a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

That's harsh, that was by far the best look the Brewers ever had, the current look isn't awful but it was certainly a downgrade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

That's harsh, that was by far the best look the Brewers ever had, the current look isn't awful but it was certainly a downgrade


I’ll agree with you the new Brewers uniforms are not great, but that last identity was flat-out terrible.  The scripts were unbalanced and uneven.  Extraneous and inconsistently applied drop shadows.  And Times New Roman numbers. Times. New. Roman.  :censored:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gothamite said:


I’ll agree with you the new Brewers uniforms are not great, but that last identity was flat-out terrible.  The scripts were unbalanced and uneven.  Extraneous and inconsistently applied drop shadows.  And Times New Roman numbers. Times. New. Roman.  :censored:

Times new Roman numbers are better than the BiG logo. I'll compromise and say the metallic gold and the drop shadows arent the best but navy is better than royal and the "unbalanced and uneven" scripts are some of the most creative and nice scripts I've seen, the Brewers never had a iconic uniform IMO, the logos, maybe, the uniforms though no.  But those scripts are the closest they got, they look great. The cap logo was great too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree to disagree, then.  The new BiG is pretty terrible, I’ll grant you that, but it’s still better than what it replaced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Agree to disagree, then.  The new BiG is pretty terrible, I’ll grant you that, but it’s still better than what it replaced. 

I love the NOBs of the new set, honestly, but the actual jersey script itself is...eh? Not terrible, but not really amazing, either. I liked the character of the previous script, that sort of old-school beer logo vibe; the new script feels a little plain for my liking. I'll admit I'm probably the minority when it comes to that, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Times new Roman numbers are better than the BiG logo. I'll compromise and say the metallic gold and the drop shadows arent the best but navy is better than royal and the "unbalanced and uneven" scripts are some of the most creative and nice scripts I've seen, the Brewers never had a iconic uniform IMO, the logos, maybe, the uniforms though no.  But those scripts are the closest they got, they look great. The cap logo was great too. 

Um, no. The new set annoys me, is the best way I can put it. Overall a vast improvement, though not without it's flaws. I'm not a die-hard fan like Goth, so these are more minor to me. But the previous set, specifically the Times New Roman numbers and NOB, was not good. In fact they were the worst features. Looked extremely cheap and generic, liked they literally picked each feature out of a catalog high school teams order from. IMO, I wouldn't choose anything from the previous set over anything from the new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new Brewers set definitely bugs me. 
 

I think each uniform in a vacuum is ok but taken as a whole there’s a lot that annoys me. 
 

The mismatched sleeve stripe design in particular because it violates the one rule they had to follow moving on from their previous set:

 

Pick a datgum lane!

 

If they were going to do the sleeves with larger double knit style stripes just do it for everything. Embrace it as your thing rather than just doing it for the home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.