MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, selgy said:

You still get a full season/year of being the new uniforms.

That doesn't look like that will happen this year.  

Dude.  That literally means nothing.  Your entire argument makes no sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, selgy said:

SD and Milwaukee would get it without having to share the attention with other teams. 

We clearly disagree so we will see what happens. 

They aren’t sharing already, it makes no sense. Your whole argument makes no sense dude.

32 minutes ago, selgy said:

SD and Milwaukee would get it without having to share the attention with other teams. 

We clearly disagree so we will see what happens. 

MLB doesn't limit uniform changes to 2 teams per year. In any other year there might be three or more changes. Why the eff do you think they wouldn't allow teams to make their scheduled changes for next year, just because San Diego and Milwaukee didn't get their year this year???

It's where I sit.

Team: We have plans to release new uniforms in 2021.

MLB: No no no. With the coronavirus severely limiting the 2020 season, the last thing we want is a new uniform that will likely create merchandise sales and increase fan interest in your team. 

I'm disappointed but not surprised in the slightest. It was only a matter of time. 

To think one day, instead of having script in the middle of a jersey, we'll likely have an ad is disgusting. A small patch is where it starts. 

On 6/20/2020 at 5:00 AM, Kg54mvp said:

Sad, really. When ads went on jerseys in the NBA, it marked the point that I lost some interest. (That and the constant chucking threes).

But a watered down experience is exactly how I would explain it too. You are forced to look at those ads, and it takes away from the experience. The "I go catch a ballgame to unwind" will not be as true anymore.

But I don't buy 11$ beers at the game, either.

As much as I hate the ads, they didnt really ruin the nba for me as much as the stupid uniform system nike implemented. That by far is more jarring than the ad patch (in it's current iteration).

There are currently 10 teams in MLB who haven't sold off their stadium naming rights, so it seems strange that they'd want to jump right into ad patches on the uniform.

MetLife pays 20 million a year to have their name on the Jets/Giants stadium. Just imagine what the Yankees could bring in if they wanted to throw a company name on the building.

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

There are currently 10 teams in MLB who haven't sold off their stadium naming rights, so it seems strange that they'd want to jump right into ad patches on the uniform.

MetLife pays 20 million a year to have their name on the Jets/Giants stadium. Just imagine what the Yankees could bring in if they wanted to throw a company name on the building.

I think 2 of them Orioles and Nationals are not allowed to sell the name of the stadiums as part of the deal with the local governments. 

If they have too have ads, I hope it’s like the NBA with the similar color ads that blend into the uniform. I mean it’s awful, but it would be less awful if it matched a little better with each teams color scheme. I also wouldn’t mind it if it was in more of an inconspicuous place, like on the sleeve, so it hides itself a little better. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I am someone who doesn't like when teams have different home and away hats.

However, I would like to see a team adopt the Texas Longhorns look of a white hat at home and a grey hat on the road, with primary colour bill/squatchee/eyelets, or at least add one of those hats as an alternate. I think it's a really good look.

nrw-texas-wvu-base-15.jpg

RS593644_20180618_PE2_4786-mar-780x405.j

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I am someone who doesn't like when teams have different home and away hats.

However, I would like to see a team adopt the Texas Longhorns look of a white hat at home and a grey hat on the road, with primary colour bill/squatchee/eyelets, or at least add one of those hats as an alternate. I think it's a really good look.

I think the home hat looks pretty nice, although a burnt orange hat with a white longhorn would be far superior imo. The grey hat is suboptimal for UT and would be terrible for a big league club. That grey crown for UT really makes me wish they used a burnt orange hat, it would be such a great look.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

9 minutes ago, JTernup said:

I think the home hat looks pretty nice, although a burnt orange hat with a white longhorn would be far superior imo. The grey hat is suboptimal for UT and would be terrible for a big league club. That grey crown for UT really makes me wish they used a burnt orange hat, it would be such a great look.

They do have a burnt orange hat but it’s got a white T on it, not the longhorn logo.

IbjBaeE.png

Bullet dodged for now.

Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) Tweeted:
New 60-game MLB season approved/imposed by ownership.

KEY DETAIL: As I understand it, thanks to union/ownership impasse, there will *not* be uniform ads. Owners don't have ability to enact that without union OK.

Also no NL DH or expanded playoffs.

I'll make a chime in here

It feels inevitable, i obviously wish we could go no ads, but here we are and we likely will have them.

Playing devil's advocate, extra revenue might do the sport some good, players could actually get their pay and would play. 

In the NBA, the ads that are white/ team colors actually look alright. I dont hate it. Sixers/Celtics come to mind. However, those who have company colors (Bucks, Thunder) look horrible. So if we REALLY have to have ads, they would be tolerable in small team colors.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

33 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Bullet dodged for now.

Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) Tweeted:
New 60-game MLB season approved/imposed by ownership.

KEY DETAIL: As I understand it, thanks to union/ownership impasse, there will *not* be uniform ads. Owners don't have ability to enact that without union OK.

Also no NL DH or expanded playoffs.

Long term, I will accept ads before I accept the DH in the NL.

Archived